Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Our first TA cruise.

Our first TA cruise.

Our first TA cruise.

Postby issyalex » 20 Dec 2015 00:16

Tiggy wrote:
issyalex wrote:I won't say much, if anything about Celebrity Eclipse as lots of reviews have described her beautifully. We did book Tuscan grill and Murano speciality restaurants for half price. As usual the service and food were amazing in both restaurants.
We boarded the Eclipse on 1st Nov for our first TA cruise. I thought I would be bored with the 6 days at sea and boy was I right! :lol: in fact I read 6 magazines and 2 short story books and 1 normal length book!
the first two days were fine as the weather was ok and we could go outside but the next 4 were cold and windy so we were stuck inside. There were several speakers who gave talks about things that didn't interest me but there was one speaker who gave 4 talks on the people of Titanic. These were fascinating and he spoke with so much passion and compassion, so much so that I attended all 4 and did not fall asleep! :lol: :lol:
Our first port of call was beautiful Boston but before we could get off we had to go through customs. We were given a certain time to go to the Martini bar which made us think that we would through in mins, boy how wrong were we. The queue winded round the deck twice. It took us 1hr 40mins to clear as people hadn't filled out their green card correctly which held up the queue as they filled them out at the customs desk. I mean they only had 24hrs to fill them out. This meant we didn't get to our HOHO bus stop till 12md. We managed to visit Cheers and the thought provoking open air Holocaust museum. We also had lunch of New England clam chowder and oysters au natural. Out weather was dry and warm.
Next port was the amazing New York for an overnight stay. We arrived to sunny weather about 3pm so were able to see the wonderful sail-in. There was another queue to get off which had formed before we had even docked. We wandered around Times Square and the shops until we went to Hard Rock coffee for dinner. We then did the evening HOHO bus tour which I would highly recommend. All the great iconic sites all lit up, beautiful. We then went up Rockafella building for yet even more amazing views and photo opportunities. Next day it was pouring, infact the rain was so bad I thought I was back home in Glasgow! Again we took the HOHO bus but as the traffic and rain was so bad we only managed to see ground zero memorial. The memorial is understated and beautiful.
Next port was beautiful and sunny Bermuda for another overnight stay. This is a lovely easy to get around island. There was a M&S which I took our American friends into as they had never been inside one of their shops. We had two wonderful relaxing days in Bermuda.
Last port was Port Canaveral. Once again we had to queue for customs but this only took about 1hr. We then had to wait in the car park for another hour for the hire car company's shuttle bus. When we finally arrived at the car hire office, guess what? Yip another queue! :lol: we finally drove our car away about 30-40mins later. We visited Kennedy space centre. Once we did the outside shuttle stations bus tour, during which I had a wee sleep as I was bored, we then went into the centre proper and I found the interactive areas amazing and very interesting. We stayed for several hours before taking the car back to the closed car hire office. We left the car and phoned the number give and, yes waited again, for the mini bus to pick us up and take us back to our ship.
We disembarked the next day in Miami after 15 lovely nights onboard the Eclipse and lots of queuing. :lol: however our waiting was not over. Our American friends had left their car at the airport so he left early using the ships bus to the airport while we had a leisurely breakfast but he managed to get lost and could not find his way back into the port. We stood outside waiting for about 2hours in the most disorganised port I've ever been to.
We then drove to our beautiful beachside apartments for 5 relaxing warm days before flying back home to a very cold UK.
In all we had a wonderful cruise slightly spoiled by the time wasted in queues. We loved all the ports as they were all new to us which is why we booked this cruise.
Would I do another TA? Not sure but maybe if it was Miami to Southampton it would be different.

Hi Issy
We have just completed a transatlantic with Azamara, Barcelona to Miami via St Maarten and Virgin Gorda, and we loved it. We had 8 days of nothing but snoozing, reading, drinking and eating, plus a few lectures and quizzes along the way. The only queue we had was Homeland Security at Miami and that wasn't bad, about 20 minutes. We didn't hire a car but stayed in a downtown Miami hotel, about 10 minutes from the port, for a few days and made the most of the great weather.
We would return to Miami in a flash, especially as we didn't get to south beach, or any beach.
Hope you and A are well and gave a great Christmas.
T

I love celebrity but their daytime and some evening entertainment is not that great. I felt I was in my pram with my mammy rocking it all the time, due to the slightly rocky sea, so I slept great. Zzzzzzzzz but I get fed up sleeping, eating, drinking and reading!

We are both well. Hope you and Mr T have a great Christmas and Santa is good to you. X
Don't want to work just want to cruise.
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Our first TA cruise.

Postby Gillzajoker » 20 Dec 2015 15:17

Good review, Issy!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Our first TA cruise.

Postby issyalex » 20 Dec 2015 16:35

Gillzajoker wrote:Good review, Issy!

Thanks.

Oh I forgot to say that while in Miami we visited South beach, Saks of 5th Ave, a shopping mall outlet for Christmas shopping and a boat tour on the Everglades, which we loved being up and very close to the gators and visiting a Red Indian settlement was also included in the $24pp price.

http://www.buffalotigersflevergladesairboattours.com
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Our first TA cruise.

Postby jocap » 20 Dec 2015 18:39

That's a super review, Issy...I really enjoyed it.
As you know, it's our first TA in a month...3 days and Madeira, and then 6 more days to Barbados. Gavin's already planning his programme, to include choir and whist games, whereas I think it will be art classes. We live so far from a cinema that I think many afternoons will be spent watching the big screen in the theatre, trying to catch up with films everyone else has seen!
How we'll feel about another TA on the return home- though broken with the Azores- I'm not sure, but as the aim is to get away somewhere for a month in winter, we're fairly content, as the alternative was a month in Spain.
I'm glad you saw something of northern USA, and ended up in the sun. x
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Our first TA cruise.

Postby issyalex » 20 Dec 2015 23:49

jocap wrote:That's a super review, Issy...I really enjoyed it.
As you know, it's our first TA in a month...3 days and Madeira, and then 6 more days to Barbados. Gavin's already planning his programme, to include choir and whist games, whereas I think it will be art classes. We live so far from a cinema that I think many afternoons will be spent watching the big screen in the theatre, trying to catch up with films everyone else has seen!
How we'll feel about another TA on the return home- though broken with the Azores- I'm not sure, but as the aim is to get away somewhere for a month in winter, we're fairly content, as the alternative was a month in Spain.
I'm glad you saw something of northern USA, and ended up in the sun. x

Thanks for that Jo. Unlike you and G i cannot sing, draw/paint, play cards except snap! Lol

The movement of the ship in the Atlantic made me feel tired all the time! Lol

I loved all the ports and I know if it was warm and sunny on the first six days at sea I wouldn't have been bored as I would have been sitting out on the balcony or deck enjoying the sun.
issyalex
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
Scotland

Previous