Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - "CELEBRITY INFINITY" - FOOD - A peek behind the scenes

"CELEBRITY INFINITY" - FOOD - A peek behind the scenes

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Jun 2016 14:30

During our recent cruises on the "Celebrity Infinity" we were given the chance to visit the ship's galley and jumped at the chance. It was a very interesting tour and we were both exceedingly impressed with the cleanliness of the galley and the professionalism of its staff. It would be nice to believe that most land restaurant kitchens were run as well.

Here is a link to our 'Facebook' photo album of that visit :-

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10209139061661075.1073741914.1455576213&type=1&l=2c3231affd

To view the album click on the first picture and it will enlarge and display descriptive text. You will then be able to navigate forward and backwards through the album by clicking on the < and > symbols that will be revealed if you place your mouse's cursor on the image
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 11 Jun 2016 15:09

Fab photos Geoff, I would have enjoyed this. The food looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing :clap:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: "CELEBRITY INFINITY" - FOOD - A peek behind the scenes

Postby tomvet » 11 Jun 2016 15:17

Very interesting Geoff and great photos.

Firstly, I was surprised that you were allowed to take photos and secondly was there a charge to partake in the tour.

Finaly, I wonder if the place would be a spotlessly clean if there was not a touring party onboard?
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Jun 2016 15:39

tomvet wrote:Very interesting Geoff and great photos.

Firstly, I was surprised that you were allowed to take photos and secondly was there a charge to partake in the tour.

Finaly, I wonder if the place would be a spotlessly clean if there was not a touring party onboard?

The galley tour was free and they had no problems with us taking photographs during it. The galley staff were doing preparatory work during our visit but I do not believe that the galley was 'cleaned up' for our tour as it was just too huge. It is my belief that it is kept very clean and any spills or messes are dealt with as they happen.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 11 Jun 2016 15:57

judgegeoff wrote:
tomvet wrote:Very interesting Geoff and great photos.

The galley tour was free and they had no problems with us taking photographs during it. The galley staff were doing preparatory work during our visit but I do not believe that the galley was 'cleaned up' for our tour as it was just too huge. It is my belief that it is kept very clean and any spills or messes are dealt with as they happen.

Impressive stuff, Geoff.

For the free tour, how does one get chosen to partake - first come / first serve, top tier loyalty guests ..........?

Costa offer a behind the scenes tour that covers more than just the galley - it includes backstage at the theatre and some mechanical rooms etc. Photos are not allowed and it costs €49. I signed up to partake on Costa Pacifica but was cancelled as the English speaking host was not available. I was told that she had disembarked at the previous port by the guy in reception. When I turned to leave, she was standing right there. I asked why I was lied to? I was told I wasn't lied to? One of those ones that are not arguing over, but it does make one cautious about everything you are told by Costa. Knowing Costa, I think it would be a very sanitised version or reality
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby grannyM » 11 Jun 2016 16:34

Nice photos Geoff. Thanks for sharing your FB album with us. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 11 Jun 2016 18:54

tomvet wrote:Impressive stuff, Geoff.

For the free tour, how does one get chosen to partake - first come / first serve, top tier loyalty guests ..........?

Costa offer a behind the scenes tour that covers more than just the galley - it includes backstage at the theatre and some mechanical rooms etc. Photos are not allowed and it costs €49. I signed up to partake on Costa Pacifica but was cancelled as the English speaking host was not available. I was told that she had disembarked at the previous port by the guy in reception. When I turned to leave, she was standing right there. I asked why I was lied to? I was told I wasn't lied to? One of those ones that are not arguing over, but it does make one cautious about everything you are told by Costa. Knowing Costa, I think it would be a very sanitised version or reality

Galley and Theatre tours were free and there were quite a lot of people who went on the Galley tour, probably around 100 or so. I haven't brought the pieces of paper that advertised them, but I suspect that they were limited to people who had attained a certain loyalty status. It was well organised, as we entered the Dining Room we were issued with cards with numbers on, these showed us which group we were assigned to. We didn't do the Theatre tour as we have done loads of them on other ships, including the Infinity's sister ship Millennium.

Whilst on the Voyages of Discovery Voyager cruise ship last year we went on a bridge tour that was very interesting, although I have since found out that such tours are not common, following a directive from the International Maritime Organisation, discouraging them on security grounds. Oddly enough it was not very well attended at all.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom