Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Eclipse Transatlantic April 2014

Eclipse Transatlantic April 2014

Postby sevenseascoaster » 05 May 2014 11:45

Just a short review (as we have sailed on her many times before and it would be boring repeating things and photos) of our latest adventure on board the Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton, a total of 13 days. Nassau, two days in Bermuda, and Ponta Delgada. We were invited on to the Helipad for the sail away from Bermuda.

Pictures of Ports to follow.

We had previously flown over a week before so that we could meet up with friends and do mountains of shopping, mainly much needed craft supplies. As always the price in the US if half of what we pay back here!

We had returned our hire car the day before sailing, so on the morning of our departure from Fort Lauderdale we used the Hotels transport to the Dock. I was looking forward to seeing the new Port facilities as it is a few years since we were last there. As it turned out we were sailing from one of the old docks, as the new big one is for the new mega size ships. Check in started with a queue outside, luckily in the shade. A very slow check in followed, scanners not working etc. Once through and on board we made our way to the Oceanview cafe for lunch. As always immense selection of mouthwatering food, so suitably refreshed and full we made our way to our cabin. First thing that took my attention, was a Kettle, hooray, didn't expect to have one on this part of the journey, only when heading out from Southampton. Now I was happy fresh tea made with boiling water, whenever I needed it. The next difference was that the toiletries have been changed, now shampoo, conditioner and body lotion come in tubes by Gilchrist and Soames. As the tubes were white plastic the contents couldn't be seen therefore the attendant replaced them often. Plenty of soft white fluffy towels. Decent reclining chairs on the verandah. We were so lucky to be Starboard, not a day on our balcony without sunshine

In port also were Celebrity's Constellation. Oasis of the Seas, (huge) and Silver Spirit. We normally choose a mid ships cabin on the 'hump' Starboard side, lovely cabin and a nice view of the ocean whilst we waited for the off in glorious sunshine. Seeing several members of staff from previous trips made it feel even more friendly, you just can't beat the Celebrity smiley staff, as always so helpful and nothing too much trouble.

For the first time we had chosen Select any time dining arrangements. This means you can dine at your leisure at your time? In theory this means you can book a table before 6.30 or after 7.30 but not between, as this time as it is their busiest. On the first night we asked for a table for two, none available, so as we had already made some new friends we opted to sit with them on a table for 6. This worked very well as everyone agreed we had made good choices and after two nights we were allowed to bypass the queues and go straight to our allotted table, which was in a very good place, The laughter ensuing from our table every night, it was a wonder we were not requested to move!! One couple from Canada the other from Lancashire, thanks to them for being such good company and being a round table the table for six meant we could all hear one another!

A few changes re Captains Club, we are ow Elite Plus so this meant we had extra privileges to add to the the very generous Celebrity bonuses. The top tier Zenith have Michaels Club all to themselves now, shame it wasn't used as not a single Zenith member on board!! Sue Denny was once again on board as the Cruise Director and very hard she worked to Captain Skylogiannis the Captain again and admire him for his daily walk abouts the ship speaking to all. A pleasant change from those Captains that hide away! Approximately 1350 Americans on board so they clearly out numbered us!, 850 Brits 500 Canadians and the rest made up of mainly German, French and others.

Thanks to the lady who helped me with the wheelchair in Ponta Delgada when I managed to get stuck down a rut, I really wasn't trying to tip P out!! :lol:

All in all another great cruise with Celebrity, yes there are noticeable cutbacks as with other lines, but the whole experience and the Ship was excellent.

We thoroughly enjoyed the complete rest the beautiful weather and calm seas and lovely people we met. Now back to reality. :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Eclipse Transatlantic April 2014

Postby JollyJill » 05 May 2014 11:57

Lovely to read your account of the TA crossing on your favourite ship Wen. Also delighted that you had lovely weather and calm seas. :)
One of these days, I hope we will do a cruise on Eclipse. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 May 2014 12:10

Thanks for the review and photos Wen. It's good to hear you had a great time. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 05 May 2014 13:01

Wen, as you know, I am sooo looking forward to our holiday next year on this ship so your review is just what I wanted to read.

Thanks for all your additional help and advice ( behind the scenes ).

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Hannah » 05 May 2014 13:04

Lovely pics, great to see blue skies and sea.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dennis The Menace » 05 May 2014 13:13

Thanks Wen, enjoyed that.

Must have a proper chat with you about celebrity at some point, I'm registered etc (elite I think) but just wary of changing from what we know and love (P&O).

And, as everyone knows, change is bad ;)
Dennis The Menace
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby sevenseascoaster » 05 May 2014 16:26

Dennis The Menace wrote:Thanks Wen, enjoyed that.

Must have a proper chat with you about celebrity at some point, I'm registered etc (elite I think) but just wary of changing from what we know and love (P&O).

And, as everyone knows, change is bad ;)

Look forward to that chat then Dennis. We have never sailed yet on P & O, so can't comment on them, but we have tried 15 different ships and out of all of them, have to say that the Eclipse is one of the ones at the top of the list, but what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit the next person :) Wouldn't do for us all to be the same. :lol:
Wen

sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tobysgranny » 05 May 2014 16:32

Glad you had a great time on Eclipse Wen. I bet you enjoyed having Sue as your criuse Director as she really is great, which is more than I can say for the one we had on Adventure. She was Agrentinian and I couldn't understand what she was saying half the time.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 05 May 2014 16:50

tobysgranny wrote:Glad you had a great time on Eclipse Wen. I bet you enjoyed having Sue as your criuse Director as she really is great, which is more than I can say for the one we had on Adventure. She was Agrentinian and I couldn't understand what she was saying half the time.

Joan

Joan we have met Sue a couple of times on previous cruises, at first I found her very loud and brash, but now I have taken to her and realise just how very hard she works and does an excellent job, sorry to hear yours was rubbish, fancy putting an Argentinian in with poor language, when its a job using communication :?: :roll:
Wen

sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 06 May 2014 08:25

Nice one Wen. So good to hear you had a great cruise. Just what you both needed after a not so good winter. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Next