Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Marco Polo Fiordland

Marco Polo Fiordland

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby Marrob 33 » 24 May 2018 20:00

We did the cruise at the beginning of May.
My view may be coloured, partly because we had done the itinerary some years ago on a Thomson ship, and also because over the years we have been on larger ones.
The difference for us was that the hassle of getting to the ship was removed, because GB Tours had a coach that picked us up locally and took us with others who had gone with the coach company, to Bristol. We were picked up at Cardiff for the return journey 10 days later.

We had upgraded to a twin room with an unrestricted view, but it was rather cramped; the wardrobe was in a corner and we had to put the one chair in front of it, (just behind the pedestal where the TV was situated ) because there was nowhere else for it.

The TV didn't have the facility to be able to access our account,as it is on other ships, and we were surprised to learn that not all of the cabins had tea/coffee making machines. we were lucky because ours did.

Other reviews have said how good the crew were,and we definitely agree with them. Everyone we had contact with was friendly and helpful. The singers and dancers worked really hard in the evening shows,and considering the stage was not very big, they all did a marvellous job. We found the microphones they held in one hans seemed to distort the voices,as though the singers were shouting, but that seems to be the way of things.

Being realistic, a smaller ship can't offer the same variety of choices in food and drink as larger ships, but we found the main dining room didn't have dishes of vegetables on tables, but a very small portion was on the plate when it was served. I would have chosen more vegetables and a little less meat. The buffet dining room Marco's.allowed people to choose the amount of veg, but there wasn't a great variety,other than carrots, french beans, calabrese and varieties of potato.

One thing that was noticeable,with regard to the flushing system was that there was no noisy "whoosh" of the vacuum, but the normal flush similar to those at home. Everywhere was always very clean, and i wondered if it was all done in the night and early hours, or if it was done by fairies,since we never seemed to see anyone.

With hindsight,I think that when a smaller ship is the choice , it needs to be understood that everything is going to be on a smaller scale, apart from the obvious size one sees when embarking on any cruise.

The two lecturers and the comedian were very good, we learneed about different birds and animals common to india and Africa as well as our own wild life,and we had some insights into traits revealed by our handwriting from a Graphologist. The Cruise director, Mitch, was very approachable and he also shared in the evening entertainment,with his singing,and Elvis impersonation. A lovely guy!

This is not meant as a criticism of a ship that has been around for many years, just my impressions, which may be helpful to anyone considering "downsizing" from a "floating town" size vessel
Marrob 33
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby judgegeoff » 25 May 2018 07:58

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences of your "Marco Polo" Fiordland cruise with us Marrob, it is always good to get members reviews of their cruises. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My wife Chris and I have sailed on many ships over the years, from the very small to the very big and, whilst we have enjoyed them all, we tend to prefer the smaller or medium sized ships. I like to see the sea when I am cruising and, when on some of the larger ships with their malls and interior restaurants etc., you could be forgiven for thinking that you were on a land holiday. To us, the medium sized Royal Caribbean "Vision" class ships give a very acceptable balance of excellent external views whilst having many of the big ship facilities. Smaller ships tend to have much better onboard lectures than the larger ships and their port talks are of a much higher standard and not designed to direct passengers to the cruise line's onshore jewellery and watch traders!

I have nearly always found that the vegetable portions on ships have been rather lacking in quantity compared with UK restaurants (and certainly at our home). On a couple of cruises I have asked our waiters for additional vegetables to be served and these came on a separate platter, with enough for our whole table - but at least we did not suffer from scurvy! :lol: On my land travels in America I have often noticed how few cooked vegetables they seemed to eat, although they do seem to eat much more salad items than us. Perhaps that may be one reason why ships serve so few vegetables on ships, as many of them do seem to cater for the American taste. The vegetables that many ships serve are undercooked to a European taste, another American trait?

If we are on a ship that has no facility for checking our onboard account on our cabin's television, I always ask for a hard copy from reception on the evening before disembarkation. That way I can check the account and, should there be an anomaly or query, it can be sorted out whilst reception is quiet. The following morning there will usually be a long queue of angry and stressed passengers at the desk!
Geoff

Booked cruise :- "MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby Gillzajoker » 25 May 2018 10:07

Interesting and informative, Marie - and it did not come across as a criticism but rather a balanced viewpoint :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby Dave » 25 May 2018 18:27

Marrob 33 wrote:...we were surprised to learn that not all of the cabins had tea/coffee making machines. we were lucky because ours did....

Firstly, many thanks for the review! :thumbup:

We've not cruised on Marco Polo but we did a 'substantial' visit - including dinner - some years ago and we left with mixed feelings about the ship. In other words, there were lots of things we liked, such as the excellent outside stern area and proper promenade deck, and quite a few things we didn't like, such as the 'industrial' lower decks and lack of balcony cabins.

Regarding tea/coffee: we wondered why what appeared to be identical cabins were classed as different grades. Then we discovered that the cabins with a kettle were a higher grade than those without - and cost a little more!..
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby Mungo » 28 May 2018 09:46

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

I sailed on Marco Polo several years ago. :mrgreen:

The lack of vegetables is my pet hate with the majority of cruiselines now and often limited in choice. No doubt green beans will be in abundance with my upcoming 2 cruises with P&O! :lol:

I've been on a number of ships where you can't access your account via the TV and need to go to reception for a print out.

Probably the worst cabin design I've had was an inside cabin on Oceana. The chair to the dressing table when pulled out blocked the door to the bathroom. Of course hubby always needed to use the bathroom when I was sat doing hair etc. :lol:
Aurora October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 28 May 2018 16:57

i love green beans btw on rci in the buffet it was always labelled vegetable of the day half the time I had no idea what I was eating. Once i thought i had carrot which i think possibly was something else sweet potatoes maybe :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 28 May 2018 17:02

Mungo wrote:Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

I sailed on Marco Polo several years ago. :mrgreen:

The lack of vegetables is my pet hate with the majority of cruiselines now and often limited in choice. No doubt green beans will be in abundance with my upcoming 2 cruises with P&O! :lol:

I've been on a number of ships where you can't access your account via the TV and need to go to reception for a print out.

Probably the worst cabin design I've had was an inside cabin on Oceana. The chair to the dressing table when pulled out blocked the door to the bathroom. Of course hubby always needed to use the bathroom when I was sat doing hair etc. :lol:

Remember the glass table on the indy the one that gave me a huge big bruise as i had moved before going out and cabin steward moved it back and i never noticed walked in and crashed into it. I note navigator has no glass coffee tables :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 28 May 2018 17:03

Great review not sailed Marco polo but have sailed the sister ship Magellan and Loved her there is something about the smaller ships a certain charm about them. However there is also something about the larger ships I think so far my favourite has to be balmoral which is medium sized
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby grannyM » 29 May 2018 18:18

Thank you Marie for taking the time to post your review. I enjoyed reading it.

We have never sailed on a small ship, mainly because of the lack of balcony cabins, so it's always interesting to see what others who have done say about any of them. Once again, thank you. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Marco Polo Fiordland

Postby khkate » 09 Jun 2018 15:47

I have done two cruises on Marco Polo - one when she was a Russian ship and the other time in 2009, just before she entered the CMV fleet. She's a lovely ship, but can be cramped for public spaces. Good to see she is still going though, especially as she had been due to retire this season. Glad you enjoyed your cruise.
Future Cruises - Canaries, Europe, Scandinavia, UK
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to CMV