Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Costa Diadema Easter Med Cruise (photos added)

Costa Diadema Easter Med Cruise (photos added)

Costa Diadema Easter Med Cruise (photos added)

Postby TimC » 27 Apr 2019 20:48

Costa Diadema Review - 7 Day Med Cruise - April 2019 3 nights hotel - Sitges Barcelona - Palma - Sea - Palermo - Civitavecchia - Savona - Marseille - Barcelona

Booked through Cruisenation - our fourth cruise with them - we've always been impressed with their service.

3 nights in Sitges as an add-on. Not somewhere we'd have gone by choice but it was a lovely town and only 16€ return for us both to get the train into Barcelona. I assume that Cruisenation couldn't get flights to match the cruise itinerary so add the hotel on as a freebie. No idea if that's why - just my theory.

Diadema is huge. At first I felt that all we were doing was walking as we got our bearings and oriented ourselves. Our cabin was a balcony cabin, low down on Deck2 - 'Sara'. Standard Costa cabin - well-appointed and well-designed in my opinion. Probably could do with an extra plug socket but apart from that, I wouldn't change anything. Easter decorations were hung from the cabin doors which was a nice touch. We did notice that the cabin was cleaned once a day - on past Costa Cruises, it was done 2-3 times a day. It was still perfectly adequate, but makes you start to wonder if it is due to cut backs.

Food was excellent for the evening meals in the main restaurant with a varied and interesting menu. We are now Perla level and got a free 'date night' in the Samsara fusion restaurant that would normally be another €30 each. The food was on another level again, which considering I've just said that the normal restaurant food was excellent anyway, says a lot. Nice quiet atmosphere and it was a novelty.

Breakfast was sometimes at the buffet - it was a bit spread-out and was hard work at times. The restaurant was more civilised but on two occasions, the beans and tomato were cold. Lunch was usually at the self service buffet and had a great variety of food. We did the restaurant once and that was of the same standard as the evening meals. So - all terrific - apart from a few cold beans.

We didn't do any excursions - we made our own way and stayed in Civitavecchia (a nice little town - worth a look) instead of going to Rome - a) because we've been twice before and b) because we thought that it would be insanely busy at Easter. Our really nice German neighbours confirmed that this was the case over dinner.

There was a ship tour (on the sea day) with limited places, but it didn't visit the engine room - it just took you to the laundry, the bridge and a few other places. The tour was 70€ per adult and 50€ for kids which was excessive in my opinion. And I was correct when I said to my better-half that 'You won't be allowed to take any photos'. I didn't bother with it.

Passengers. Our dining neighbours were German, French and British. There were very few Brits on the cruise - this is an attraction for us - it feels more like we are on holiday when we meet up with people from elsewhere. We got talking to an English couple on a Tui ship at Civitavecchia as we walked back through the port and they said most of the passengers on there were from the UK.

Destinations
Barcelona - amazing city. been a few times - never dull.
Palma - nice town. bit of a walk from the cruise port but wouldn't take long on the bus.
Palermo - bit crazy but an interesting town. Typical port town - bit rough around the edges.
Civitavecchia - plenty of shops. Some beaches - much quieter than going into Rome. Bit of a trek through the port.
Savona - really underrated. A lovely town to walk around. Easy access on foot from the port
Marseille - It's the main port in France - heavily industrialised. You need to take a bus from the cruise port. Actually seems like an interesting city but hard to decide where to best spend your time when you're only there for a few hours as it sprawls over a large area.

Random highlights:
Sitges
Palma - turning around and seeing USS Abraham Lincoln - a Nimitz class nuclear powered aircraft carrier moored nearby
Meeting up with friends from San Remo when we were in Savona
The Samsara restaurant.

I'll post photos if I can - but I've given up on Photobucket. Any suggestions?
Last edited by TimC on 28 Apr 2019 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Booked: Nothing yet.
TimC
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Costa Diadema Easter Med Cruise

Postby Camela » 27 Apr 2019 23:05

Enjoyed this review Tim. 70 euro for a ship tour is really taking the mickey in my opinion!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Costa Diadema Easter Med Cruise

Postby Dave » 27 Apr 2019 23:09

Thanks for that Tim. :thumbup:

We did a cruise over Christmas 2015 on Diadema and after the initial shock of the over-the-top glitzy decor we grew to really like the ship - especially the excellent 'promenade deck'. (I posted a review here if you're interested: Christmas Cruise Review: The Western Med on Costa Diadema). My wife is French by birth and we too enjoyed the lack of English-speaking passengers on board.

We'd previously done a couple of fantastic Samsara cruises on Costa Deliziosa, but on Diadema the Samsara experience had been watered down to such a degree that we felt cheated and haven't been back.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Booked land-based holidays 2019: April - Surrey, June - Snowdonia, July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 28 Apr 2019 07:49

Many thanks for posting a review of your 'Costa Diadema' cruise, I enjoyed reading it. :clap: We haven't cruised with Costa (yet) but I am sure we will one day. We have sailed with MSC and enjoyed the Italian food, their risotto was to die for!
Geoff
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 28 Apr 2019 10:54

Thank you for your review of Costa Diadema TimC. Nice to see you on here again.

Sorry you didn't manage to post any photos this time but it seems a lot of people have 'given up' on Photobucket. Hope you manage to find something else. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 Apr 2019 11:33

Interesting review, TimC, thanks, I enjoyed it.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby bobbyoscar » 28 Apr 2019 13:21

Thanks for posting this review. I enjoyed reading it and found it very informative.

I'm another ex Photobucket user and have now resorted to posting pics on the internet via my husband's website.
Cruises booked:
September 2019 -
P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby TimC » 28 Apr 2019 13:35

We were in one of the balcony cabins on Deck 2

USS Abraham Lincoln
Booked: Nothing yet.