Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Balmoral to Mexifornia

Balmoral to Mexifornia

Balmoral to Mexifornia

Postby Gillzajoker » 10 Feb 2019 11:45

Lovely pics., Hazel. Vaya con Dios! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Balmoral to Mexifornia

Postby grannyM » 14 Feb 2019 08:26

Update from Hazel yesterday 13th February

Four days at sea to Mexico
Day one – my talk on San Francisco, one of the highlight ports of the voyage. Full house and even got a compliment from a US citizen about my accuracy so that was a relief.
After lunch, 20 minutes in the sun...too hot to stay any longer so I came inside and worked on my photos from Costa Rica.

Went to the gym rather than the Tea Dance! When we returned to our cabin, the port holes had been closed. This means rough seas ahead.
Evening entertainment was Lorraine Brown and then dancing followed by Karaoke (not me!). Treated myself to a Margarita cocktail and very good it was too.

Day 2 – the sea is rolling a bit but not too bad. This afternoon's deck event has been postponed however because there’s a lot of spray so we’d all get soaked.
Did my Los Angeles talk this morning. Finished with 10 seconds to spare before the Captain's noon announcement.
Day 3...sea is now calm and port holes opened so we can see out again. Did my 3rd USA talk so I have spoken about 12 of our 18 ports. I had to do the US ports early because the Port Agents need numbers for tours by today. Most places need this information 48 hours before we call, so why the U.S. needs 10 days, I have no idea!
As you will guess, there were dozens of questions from guests after the 3 US talks. We will have 3 days in San Francisco and 1 day in each of Los Angeles and San Diego. The challenges are that San Francisco is very hilly (maps look flat!) And Los Angeles is huge. It’s about 40 miles to Hollywood from our berth so the guests who planned to walk there got a shock!
The other thing in LA that is affecting our visit – The Oscars! We are there the day before the event so there are road closures and venue issues affecting our visit. On the plus side, it means that anyone who is anyone in the film industry will be in LA with us.....So that man who looks like George Clooney might just be him!!
Formal night tonight and a Crew Show....This is usually done at the end of a cruise, but as we are sailing for 62 days we are having two Crew Shows.

Day 4 of 4. No talks to give for a while now as I’m so far ahead on the itinerary so enjoying coffee in bed today.
Spent the day reading and getting some vitamin D. The delayed deck games took place today...quite a laugh.

At 5 the captain announced that, because of a small technical fault, we would arrive a couple of hours late in Puerto Vallarta...and we would be tendering rather than alongside.

Weds - Arrived in PV bay and dropped anchor at 10.30. We have overslept as our next door neighbour was loudly chatting to another guest entertainer until 4am!! Guest acts tend to be night-people often sleeping until noon. Their ship-neighbours are instructors and lecturers who usually work in a morning so have to be up at 8. We try to be quiet in a morning so as to not wake them. It’s a shame they can’t show us the same courtesy.

Anyway, rant over...on the plus side , I just looked out of the window and saw a whale.

I need to find WiFi today – my data package isn’t valid in Mexico. It worked in most of Central America and will in the USA so it seems odd that Mexico is not included. (Three network FYI)

It’s now 1pm and tendering is delayed because of the swell. At this rate, we will be lucky to get ashore, WiFi remains a dream.

Got ashore at 3pm so not much time here. Lovely place though.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Balmoral to Mexifornia

Postby Gillzajoker » 14 Feb 2019 09:52

Very interesting and entertaining update, Hazel. Thanks to you and to Marie for posting it! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Previous