Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - 15 days on the NORWEGIAN DAWN (part1)

15 days on the NORWEGIAN DAWN (part1)

Re: 15 days on the DAWN (part1)

Postby Skier Pete » 04 May 2011 09:26

bobbyboy wrote:Great so far Pete...............how the other half live ;)

Am I the only one to have spotted the pronunciation of the complimentary wine? :lol: ......wine dupp more like :)

Bob

No wind dupp Bob!! they are genuine wines made by the " methode traditionelle" check thIs out

Blanc de blancs

A French term that means "white of whites", and is used to designate Champagnes made exclusively from Chardonnay grapes. The term is occasionally used in other sparkling wine-producing regions, usually to denote Chardonnay-only wines rather than any sparkling wine made from other white grape varieties.[18] A famous example is Ruinart

BLANC DE BLANC
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Skier Pete » 04 May 2011 09:49

Gemma wrote:My first cruise was on the Gem (hence my screen name) and I still have a soft spot for NCL. I used to check in on the NCL forum regularly on CC. Posters used to write that "No one does suite life better than NCL". They also boasted about the top Courtyard and Garden villas - claimed to be "a ship within a ship".
Cagneys for breakfast and lunch is a popular perk. There were countless posts of people who were staying in suites but had friends/relatives in cabins, sorry staterooms, and wanted them to join them in Cagneys.
Anyway, what's your opinion of the suite compared to others you've been on ?

The only comparison I have personal experience of is an RCI grand suite. The RCI suite is a little larger ( 370 - 390sq. ft. balcony 95 - 107 sq.ft as compared to350 sq. ft. balcony 111 sq ft.) and it has a much better layout of the room. The RCI "enhanced programme for suite guests" is superior to the NCL one on Voyager and Radiance class ships in that there are complimantary drinks from 5.30 to 8.30(anything you want and as much as you want within reason)in the concierge lounge and there are also reseved areas for sun loungers, theatre seats and ice show seats. Other than that the two sets of perks are more or less the same.

Interestingly the pricing for the Garden villas( with 8 people in)can be very competative with the suite I had.
These are real prices from the brochure

Garden villa guests 1 - 2 £ 4299pp = £8598, guests 3 - 8 £ 159pp = £1074 Total = £9672 Average per person £1209 (5500 sq ft, average 687 sq. ft per person)

Penthouse suite (up to max 600 sq.ft. avererage 300 sq.ft. per person) £1109pp

ONLY £100pp difference and a lot more nice bits for your money with the garden villa

As we know there are deals to be had and these prices could be a lot cheaper, in fact a recent TV programme I saw showed an American guest getting a garden villa for 20% of the brochure price ( no mistake!! 80% discount)with a personal tour of the suite from the Captain of the ship.

It is know a semi-serious consideration for a family holiday with my daughters + boyfriends and my Outlaws to make up a party of 8.

Pete

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyboy » 04 May 2011 11:34

Skier Pete wrote:

Am I the only one to have spotted the pronunciation of the complimentary wine? :lol: ......wine dupp more like :)

Bob

No wind dupp Bob!! they are genuine wines made by the " methode traditionelle"check these out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_(wine)#Blanc_de_blancs

Blanc de blancs

A French term that means "white of whites", and is used to designate Champagnes made exclusively from Chardonnay grapes. The term is occasionally used in other sparkling wine-producing regions, usually to denote Chardonnay-only wines rather than any sparkling wine made from other white grape varieties.[18] A famous example is Ruinart

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... e+de+blanc

Thanks for that Pete.............'Blanc de Blanc' I wouldn't have commented on but 'Blanquette de Blanc' read like 'Blankity Blank' so I thought you were having a laugh.

Shows how much I know about wine then....................mind you, I still drink Hardy's :)

Bob
bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Skier Pete » 04 May 2011 14:43

bobbyboy wrote:
Skier Pete wrote:

Bob

No wind dupp Bob!! they are genuine wines made by the " methode traditionelle"check these out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_(wine)#Blanc_de_blancs

Blanc de blancs

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... e+de+blanc

Thanks for that Pete.............'Blanc de Blanc' I wouldn't have commented on but 'Blanquette de Blanc' read like 'Blankity Blank' so I thought you were having a laugh.

Shows how much I know about wine then....................mind you, I still drink Hardy's :)

Bob

Nothing wrong with Hardy's ( provided it is the right Hardy's ;) ;) ;) )

For a very nice sparkling wine I would highly recommend " BLANQUETTE de LIMOUX"

Quick web search gives these results Tesco seems a fair price and only about half the price of a bog standard champagne and i think it's a nicer wine. come in brut and demi-sec gardes

Every Limoux Wine
Discover 1000's of wines available in the UK on one easy to use site
Special Offers - Premixed Cases - Contact Us - Delivery
http://www.everywine.co.uk
Search Results£8.35
£17.30 with shipping
everywine.co.uk

Jean Babou Blanc de Blancs Brut Blanquette de Limoux
Full flavoured yet fresh fizz from one of the best producers in Limoux.
Add to Shopping List
£35.25

Just Drink GiftsDidier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux Brut NV
One bottle presented in a high quality pine wood gift box with a sliding lid and lined with wood wool. Your message is handwritten in gold ink on ...
Add to Shopping List
£90.50

Just Drink GiftsDidier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux Brut NV - non-gift case of 6
Six bottles in a case – no gift packaging. Your message is handwritten on a card and placed with the case. Didier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux ...
Add to Shopping List
£39.84
Free shipping

Product Reviews StoreTesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl
Tesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl, TESCO 1531 BLANQUETTE DE LIMOUX 75CL.
Add to Shopping List
£12.95

The Fine Wine CompayChateau Rives-Blanques Blanquette de Limoux
A superb example of Mauzac fizz - soft, fresh, with an elegant (slightly appley) fruit character and persistent mousse. Bottle fermentation adds ...
Add to Shopping List

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby dopeyngrumpy » 04 May 2011 15:03

JollyJill wrote:Thanks for the review Pete. VIPs eh? It's nice to be spoiled (not that I would know). Maybe we should upgrade to a suite one day.

A free tip - if you organise the CC meet and greet with the events co-ordinator (involves being on CC of course) you get some of the VIP perks, irrespective of cabin grade - not Cagney's however.

David
dopeyngrumpy
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
England

Postby bobbyboy » 05 May 2011 01:41

Skier Pete wrote:Nothing wrong with Hardy's ( provided it is the right Hardy's ;) ;) ;) )

For a very nice sparkling wine I would highly recommend " BLANQUETTE de LIMOUX"

Quick web search gives these results Tesco seems a fair price and only about half the price of a bog standard champagne and i think it's a nicer wine. come in brut and demi-sec gardes

Every Limoux Wine
Discover 1000's of wines available in the UK on one easy to use site
Special Offers - Premixed Cases - Contact Us - Delivery
http://www.everywine.co.uk
Search Results£8.35
£17.30 with shipping
everywine.co.uk

Jean Babou Blanc de Blancs Brut Blanquette de Limoux
Full flavoured yet fresh fizz from one of the best producers in Limoux.
Add to Shopping List
£35.25

Just Drink GiftsDidier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux Brut NV
One bottle presented in a high quality pine wood gift box with a sliding lid and lined with wood wool. Your message is handwritten in gold ink on ...
Add to Shopping List
£90.50

Just Drink GiftsDidier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux Brut NV - non-gift case of 6
Six bottles in a case – no gift packaging. Your message is handwritten on a card and placed with the case. Didier Bourrel Blanquette de Limoux ...
Add to Shopping List
£39.84
Free shipping

Product Reviews StoreTesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl
Tesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl, TESCO 1531 BLANQUETTE DE LIMOUX 75CL.
Add to Shopping List
£12.95

The Fine Wine CompayChateau Rives-Blanques Blanquette de Limoux
A superb example of Mauzac fizz - soft, fresh, with an elegant (slightly appley) fruit character and persistent mousse. Bottle fermentation adds ...
Add to Shopping List

Thanks for putting in all the effort to give me all those recommendations Pete.................I will definitely give it a go. My OH loves sparkling wine :) .

If it's half as good as Lambrini then we're on to a winner ;)

Bob
bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Postby bobbyboy » 06 May 2011 13:24

Skier Pete wrote:Product Reviews StoreTesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl
Add to Shopping List
£12.95

Hey Pete...............just got back from Tesco..............bought a bottle of 1531 Blanquette de Limoux which was on offer at £6.99 :)

Of course, that's twice as much as I like to spend on a bottle of wine so I'll have to save it for a special occasion ;)

Maybe I can crack it open when I book my next cruise :) .............oh, hang on.........it says on the bottle to drink within 1 year of purchase :(

Bob
bobbyboy
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Skier Pete » 06 May 2011 14:19

bobbyboy wrote:
Skier Pete wrote:Product Reviews StoreTesco Finest 1531 Blanquette De Limoux 75cl
Add to Shopping List
£12.95

Hey Pete...............just got back from Tesco..............bought a bottle of 1531 Blanquette de Limoux which was on offer at £6.99 :)

Of course, that's twice as much as I like to spend on a bottle of wine so I'll have to save it for a special occasion ;)

Maybe I can crack it open when I book my next cruise :) .............oh, hang on.........it says on the bottle to drink within 1 year of purchase :(

Bob

Just untie the wire , a quick twist of the cork..POP,, and enjoy ,, CHILLED of course

Pete

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Previous