Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - NCL Jade

NCL Jade

NCL Jade

Postby Sandycruiser » 04 Apr 2011 11:00

Just got back last week off Jade and what a super super cruise we had. From check in to check out everything went smoothly and efficiently. :D We were lucky to get a taxi share to the ship which helped as we didnt have transfers included which were expensive from the ship. Meals were fantastic and never found the need to use the speciality restaurants as so much choice was available. Freedom dining suited us on this cruise, but I like the whole concept of what NCL offers. I dont know why we never used them before but we are already planning on Sept to Eastern Med. We booked guarantee and expected our cabin number when our tickets arrived, but it wasnt assigned and I must admit I was dreading the whole queuing thing at the port. But as soon as we got out of our taxi the cases were taken, labelled and away, leaving us to go into the departure hall to board. Boarding commenced at 11.30 and we were on board having lunch at 12.00. Spraying and security checks we in abundance which was fine and meals in the buffet were served to us for two days, we presume to catch any novo before it happened.
Port days, the buffet only was open at lunchtime and sea days you could use the restaurant as well, which I like. Portion controlled!!! Doing a few cruises a year does tend to pile on the pounds if not careful.
Cabin was small (inside deck 9) and the ship wasnt as colourful as I had been led to believe, reminded us a bit of Ventura. Staff excellent in every department.
Ship was mixed nationality with only about 300 british, quite a lot of americans, canadians, japanese, chinese and spanish. Sailing from Barcelona we did expect more Spanish than actually sailed.
We never heard one moan or groan all week about the ship only about the two ports of call. Cassablanca and Agadir which I had researched before we left so knew what to expect. Weather came up trumps which really made the holiday and our sea days were very enjoyable. Entertainment was excellent with the finale by the crew which is always good to see. Shame that we had seen a couple of the group do the same thing on Fred Olson, but very good and the theatre was packed.

If I had to have one gripe, it was about the early departure by 8.30 am, but this is understandable as some early incoming flight people were arriving as we were queuing for our taxi to go to the airport. We luckily had a 1.00pm flight, but others who were not flying out until 8.00 pm were a little stuck at what to do as the port/ship were charging $20 per bag for the day. Many took them to the railway station and left them there for E8. The ship offered a tour and transfer for $30 each but they were still dropped at the airport by 12.00pm. Cant wait for my next NCL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sandycruiser
March - NCL Jade
May - Fred Olson - Balmoral
July - Thomson Celebration
July - Thomson Spirit
Aug - Thomson Celebration
Sept - NCL Jade
Sandycruiser
Ensign
Ensign

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: NCL Jade

Postby jocap » 04 Apr 2011 23:43

I'm glad you like her...Jade is very special to us, and yet is run down by lots of people who've never been on her- or who travelled on NCL years ago and tell everyone how poor it was. We cannot criticise much, except for the constant money making, but we've noticed that on Princess too.
Makes me quite home/ship sick! :)
Jo.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Return to NCL