Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Norwegian Jade 10N Katakolon Athens Kusadasi Istanbul Naples Rome (Greece and Turkey)

Norwegian Jade 10N Katakolon Athens Kusadasi Istanbul Naples Rome (Greece and Turkey)

Norwegian Jade 10N Katakolon Athens Kusadasi Istanbul Naples Rome (Greece and Turkey)

Postby adogap » 16 Jan 2015 14:56

Welcome from me too! What a great review and videos! I shall enjoy returning and viewing each one of them and read with interest about your family holiday :D
Thank you for posting

Chris
Xmas, Queen Victoria, Dec. 2017
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby iluvcruising2 » 16 Jan 2015 14:57

adogap wrote:Welcome from me too! What a great review and videos! I shall enjoy returning and viewing each one of them and read with interest about your family holiday :D
Thank you for posting

Chris

Thanks for your welcome. I hope you enjoy the videos. Take note that I will post the reviews of most of the ports we visited on the ports section of this forum, instead of this thread.
iluvcruising2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Singapore

Postby iluvcruising2 » 16 Jan 2015 14:58

Let me talk about Cagney's. This speciality restaurant was located on Deck 13, central section, just above the Garden Cafe. We had our first experience with Cagney's on embarkation day, lunch . It was really pleasant to be able to head over to Cagney's to have a proper sit-down lunch, after all the hustle and bustle of checking in. What a way to start the cruise!

Cagney's lunch was available every day, from 12pm to 2pm. Over the course of our cruise, we ate at Cagney's for lunch 3-4 times. During port days, we would be in port, so we wouldn't be back in time for Cagney's.

The dining experience was very pleasant. It was never crowded. Service staff was very attentive. It was the same staff every day and we got to know some of them well. It made for a great experience, even as NCL is known for Freestyle dining.

The favourite entree for my kids was the Grilled Beef burger. They loved this.

My favourite entree was the New York Striploin steak, with truffle fries. The fries were doused with some truffle oil. They were really addictive!

There were four desserts to choose from. The most popular for us was the Warm Espresso Chocolate Brownie.

For the starters, the grilled asparagus starter and the shrimp cocktail were really good. Be warned though, we had issues with the House Smoke Salmon. Either the salmon had some problem or our stomachs couldn't take it. Both of us (i.e. myself and my wife) vomitted it out a while after lunch. I told the Cagney's staff the next day but they shrugged it off, saying that nobody else had complained.

Oh well, I wouldn't eat the Salmon starter at Cagney's again but everything else we had was really good. Here is the video link which contains the full menu for your easy reference.

iluvcruising2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Singapore

Postby iluvcruising2 » 16 Jan 2015 14:59

Garden Cafe Buffet Lunch on embarkation day. The Garden Cafe (Buffet) is located mid-ship, Deck 12. The buffet and seating area stretches from mid-ship all the way to the aft.

This is the aft seating area of the cafe. During our cruise, the weather wasn't too cold on some days, so passengers could still enjoy the great outdoors.

On embarkation day, we didn't eat here as we had our lunch at Cagney's. However, I wanted to see how crowded the place would be. So I decided to check out the food and make a video. The food selection looked reasonable, as you will see in the video.

What struck me the most was that the Garden Cafe buffet area did not seem crowded at all. There was ample seating, not just in the inside area, but also the outside.

Furthermore, they used the La Cucina restaurant as expanded seating area for the lunch buffet, therefore creating even more space. See this video for a glimpse of how La Cucina was used during lunch

I vividly recall that embarkation day lunches and sea days on Royal ships were very challenging, due to the huge crowds. You often heard announcements asking passengers to vacate once they are done. I remember it was especially bad on the Legend of the Seas (we have cruised twice). We had to get food from the Windjammer and physically bring our plates into the Diamond Lounge to find a seat. Thankfully for us, there were very few Diamonds when we sail out of Singapore, at least back in 2012.
iluvcruising2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Singapore

Postby Gillzajoker » 16 Jan 2015 15:10

Amazingly detailed review and pictures - well done!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Jimmy the One » 16 Jan 2015 16:59

Fabulous review still have some videos to look at thanks for taking the time to post :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 16 Jan 2015 19:27

Wow! this is all absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for taking the time to post this incredible review. I thoroughly enjoyed your videos as well as your commentary - and music too and I look forward to going over your review again for see the other videos in each section.

I am so pleased you liked Jade. Like yourself we had cruised with Royal Caribbean (and Princess too) before we tried Norwegian but we really enjoyed both our cruises on Jade and totally agree with the the different comparisons you have highlighted.

It was a treat and brought back some very happy memories to see some of our favourite places, The Great Outdoors and Cucina (it was Papa's Kitchen when we were on), to name just two in your video. We were in a Junior suite, next door to a suite like the Sapphire suite you had, but on a different deck. We managed to see round it before the passengers arrived to occupy it and were very very impressed. :)

I almost did not recognise Civitevecchia in the rain as it has always been absolutely sweltering whenever we have been there Spring or Autumn.

Some of us will have to 'up our game' for our reviews after this. ;)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Norwegian Jade 10N Katakolon Athens Kusadasi Istanbul Naples Rome (Greece and Turkey)

Postby Wansbrough » 17 Jan 2015 11:36

I don't think I have read a bad review about the Norwegian Jade, which is good news as I will be on her in May. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby iluvcruising2 » 17 Jan 2015 14:00

Embarkation Day, exploring the ship some more. The mandatory life boat drill was held at 4pm and for my muster station, it was conducted in the main theatre called the Stardust theatre. We could sit down in comfort. That was nice.

Later, they had a sail away party on deck. The party mood was certainly setting in. The pool side BBQs looked gorgeous and was very popular with the passengers. Image

In this video, I take some short clips of the sail away party to give you a flavour of the fun-like atmosphere. It was a great way to start our holiday!

iluvcruising2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Singapore

Postby iluvcruising2 » 17 Jan 2015 14:01

Norwegian does not allow you to bring any bottles of wine onboard even for personal consumption, unlike say Royal (which allows 2 bottles per cabin). Every bottle has to pay a corkage charge upfront at the time of boarding, which I think is US$15. (not entirely sure, since we didn't bring any wine on board).

In this video, I go through the wine list. I hope this is a useful reference for all those who plan to cruise Norwegian. I noticed they had a house wine called North and South. We ordered one bottle of North and South Merlot by Norwegian, US$30 before gratuities. It turned out to be pretty good! I would drink that again.

Here is the bottle of North & South by Norwegian Merlot that we drank.

We couldn't finish in one sitting, so we had the wine over 2 consecutive dinners in the main dining room.

The staff would keep the unfinished bottle for you and you can call for it at any restaurant. They will give you a ticket to keep for the wine storage. Keep this ticket properly as you need to give the ticket back at your next meal so that they can find the wine for you.

iluvcruising2
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
Singapore

PreviousNext