Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Oriana

Oriana

Oriana

Postby bobbyoscar » 03 Nov 2018 18:37

Dave wrote:(Personally, and if the deposit already paid wasn't too much, I'd cancel our future bookings and make the company very aware of my reasons.)

Unfortunately we've already paid the balance on our cruise to the Northern Lights, otherwise we would be.

I did suggest cancelling our Greece cruise and if it had been on one of one of P & Os older ships we would have done so. We have already been on Azura and know it is wheelchair friendly as we had no trouble with either the cabin or getting around the ship. Plus, there are no other companies operating from Southampton to Greece as a round trip, we have no other option if we want to visit those areas. We just hope that the food improves in the next year. Although I doubt very much that we will sail with P & O once next September's cruise is over.

It did make us realise that we favour ships with about 3000 passengers with a mix of both nationalities and ages. Yes, we did miss those little people.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Oriana

Postby Mungo » 04 Nov 2018 09:19

bobbyoscar wrote:
Dave wrote:(Personally, and if the deposit already paid wasn't too much, I'd cancel our future bookings and make the company very aware of my reasons.)

Unfortunately we've already paid the balance on our cruise to the Northern Lights, otherwise we would be.

I did suggest cancelling our Greece cruise and if it had been on one of one of P & Os older ships we would have done so. We have already been on Azura and know it is wheelchair friendly as we had no trouble with either the cabin or getting around the ship. Plus, there are no other companies operating from Southampton to Greece as a round trip, we have no other option if we want to visit those areas. We just hope that the food improves in the next year. Although I doubt very much that we will sail with P & O once next September's cruise is over.

It did make us realise that we favour ships with about 3000 passengers with a mix of both nationalities and ages. Yes, we did miss those little people.

I wouldn’t let 1 bad cruise put you off a company Glynis. As you’ve said you now know the type of ship you and Andy like best. :thumbup: Within a company ships do vary!

The first time we sailed on Azura we didn’t like her very much...... the crew didn’t seem to gel and we just found any good vibes were missing. However things were so different when we sailed on her again (the one you were on) which we did because of the dates/ itinerary/ cost as she wouldn’t have been my first choice.

Last year we did a B2B on Ruby Princess from Los Angeles. The first week was super with everything as we’d wish. An older average age as most ports were US ones, food and entertainment good. Couldn’t fault anything. BUT the next week was so different. It was to Mexico and it was amazing how much changed. Younger passengers, large groups, a huge party atmosphere. Different entertainment, lots of hard sell and the food wasn’t as good. I can see why when you read reviews they often are nothing like your own experience.

Many of the Princess ships are of the same design as Ventura and Azura so worth taking a look at.

I’m starting to look for a possible cruise for next year. Probably for Easter or May half term as plans are to possibly visit our son in Bangkok next summer. Limited choice! Coming out with the best prices, itineraries is P&O which of course is to be expected if you want to sail from the UK. A couple of Princess, Royal Caribbean to look at for May but too early for them in April. Nothing at all that fits in with Celebrity who I highly rate. Plus a couple of Fred Olsen ones from Dover but their prices are expensive atm! Will keep looking.......
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Oriana

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 04 Nov 2018 16:20

bobbyoscar wrote:I've sent an email letter to P & O regarding the cabin, food and difficulty in getting around and have had the email acknowledged. It's likely to be at least 4 weeks before I hear anything more.

good for you as a lot of people wont as they don't want to make a fuss but sometimes the only way things can get better is for someone to say hold on a minute. Oriana is of course the one they getting rid off maybe this is the reason why. I must admit Im terrible when i go anywhere whether it be a holiday or a new restaurant for pointing things out like yeah very good their is a ramp shame its as steep as Ben nevis. Emma used to be embarassed now she finds herself doing it and she like im turning in to you. Guess it comes to having to constantly risk assess things for service users or so i thought but apparnetly ive always done this even as a kid. :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Re: Oriana

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 04 Nov 2018 16:27

Carwalsick wrote:My recent experiences have been with Saga and I'm pleased to say that by far the majority of passengers are polite and considerate of the needs of others who are less able (there are quite a few). Unfortunately there are some who can be less than appreciative of the delightful Filipino staff. Not outright rude but dismissive maybe harking back to the attitude of the Rajh. I have experienced a few mobility scooter and zimmer users who regard their aids as weapons.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

yep on a cruise a few years back i may have mentioned this before we where on the gangway as in already actually halfway up it. it was one with flat bit it middle we were almost at top of the first section and there was a group waiting on the flat section to descend plus couple of people coming down from top section one of whom had a mobility scooter. As we where still coming up but almost at the top i heard the crew member telling the people to wait the man on the scooter decided he wasn't going to wait and took off he nearly hit Emma who at the time was a young child. I was just about to give him a piece of my mind as she could have been seriously injured when a woman i didn't know started to tell him off rather loudly was his wife/gf/significant other. You should have heard her we still could hear her getting at him when up on deck and they was on the dockside. I kind of felt sorry for him by then :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Oriana

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Nov 2018 18:48

I don't think I would have the nerve to come down some of these gangways on my scooter it still scares me half to death just driving around the park near us.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Oriana

Postby bobbyoscar » 05 Nov 2018 14:24

Update on our last cruise on Oriana

Last Wednesday, I emailed P & O to explain some of the difficulties we faced on our last cruise and have just been phoned by them.

They were horrified to hear in detail of our experiences, to the extent that they have given us a substantial (yes, I do mean substantial) amount of credit for our next cruise on Aurora. They will be contacting me again by the end of the week once they have confirmed that we should not have the same problems re mobility on our next cruise on Aurora.

It is somewhat refreshing to find that P & O have listened to us, taken our complaint seriously and agreed that our situation was indeed a difficult one.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Oriana

Postby grannyM » 05 Nov 2018 16:32

So pleased to hear this Glynis. Well done to you for complaining and well done to P&O for responding in this way. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Oriana

Postby Gillzajoker » 06 Nov 2018 14:31

Great news, Glynis, and well done P&O :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Oriana

Postby tobysgranny » 07 Nov 2018 00:32

That really is good news Glynis.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Oriana

Postby Mungo » 07 Nov 2018 09:17

bobbyoscar wrote:Update on our last cruise on Oriana

Last Wednesday, I emailed P & O to explain some of the difficulties we faced on our last cruise and have just been phoned by them.

They were horrified to hear in detail of our experiences, to the extent that they have given us a substantial (yes, I do mean substantial) amount of credit for our next cruise on Aurora. They will be contacting me again by the end of the week once they have confirmed that we should not have the same problems re mobility on our next cruise on Aurora.

It is somewhat refreshing to find that P & O have listened to us, taken our complaint seriously and agreed that our situation was indeed a difficult one.

Good new Glynis. :thumbup: I have to say our experience with P&O when we were delayed a day boarding a ship (Oriana in fact!) was dealt with in a most understanding, caring fashion with texts, phone calls etc. We knew exactly what was happening and I cannot fault their customer service skills on that occasion.

Enjoy your next cruise! :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext