Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Adonia D520 7/9/15 to 7/10/15

Adonia D520 7/9/15 to 7/10/15

Adonia D520 7/9/15 to 7/10/15

Postby octocruiser » 16 Oct 2015 05:43

avidcruiser wrote:I doubt much has changed since she was Minerva Kath, especially the décor :roll: The cabins are decidedly dated and in need of refurbishment but still well maintained by the steward and clean and comfortable, despite some wear and tear in places which didn't bother us. We knew what to expect having been on her earlier this year.

You certainly don't go on Adonia for the glitz and glamour :lol: nor because P&O is the bees knees of cruising, BUT, just for itinerary, and this was a memorable cruise in that respect, despite some ports of call being changed both pre cruise and once on board. The alternative ports were just great. Can't fault P&O for the great substitutions that were made pre cruise but especially the change whilst en route from Lesvos to Limnos.

It may, due to circumstances, be our last longish cruise, so something to be remembered by us both. :)

Thanks to all for their lovely comments on my review. Now back to reality for just a while, until the next one. ;)

Actually , we first sailed on Minerva 2 several years ago and she has had a number of reincarnations since then. At that time she had been recently refurbished and had the air of a luxury floating period country house hotel. There were swags and tails at the windows of the main public rooms and all carpets were custom fitted with borders . There were fireplaces with log fires in various locations and numerous pieces of period furniture . There was an enormous (for a smallish ship) library with elegant drapes and period furnishing , fireplace and masses of books . The cabins had really tasteful decor. The MDR was spacious and elegant and had fully open dining, plus there was a veranda restaurant and two small speciality restaurants.

I was told a lot of this had been stripped out when she went back into the Princess fleet, including the library, which is one reason we were reluctant to go back when she was transferred to P&O and would have been accessible to us again.

As you say, this was an exceptional itinerary and the changes worked in your favour so I'm glad it will have given you happy memories. I am sure you will go on cruising despite circumstances, even if you , like us are reluctant to take on longer ones.

We have two 15 day ones booked, one next month and one next March , not too far from home :roll: and I think that is about our limit.

Take care, Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Adonia D520 7/9/15 to 7/10/15

Postby avidcruiser » 16 Oct 2015 22:03

Indeed, knowing our limits is what I too am assessing, Kath.

The medical evacuation of quite a few passengers on this recent cruise, some just unfortunate accidents like slipping and a broken ankle, and my first time ever visit to the medical centre, made me take stock of our situation. Unfortunately, I need to be 110% if we are to do any more long cruises, because the prospect of OH being left to cope, if I was taken ill, is sadly no longer an option.

However, we will still cruise when we can and I wish you well on your soon to be cruise. Enjoy!

x
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby jocap » 18 Oct 2015 19:38

Thank you for that great review...I enjoyed it, and felt I'd travelled with you.
You're more poetic than us in your descriptions....when we first saw Santorini from far off, we thought it was a cliff covered with sea birds- and bird poo! :O
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby jenny wren » 20 Oct 2015 22:01

We too were on this cruise, our first time on Adonia, although not with P & O .
Octocruiser she is still as you describe her....like a country house hotel, with the posh curtains, old pictures, fireplaces with log fires, and the carpets with borders!! The library is still wonderful the largest we've seen on a P & O ship with a beautiful painted ceiling. I don't think you would be disappointed if you saw her again!

Unlike Avidcruiser we didn't think the entertainment was very good, the Headliners were good but the visiting artists were not as good as those we have seen on other P & O cruises.

This was an excellent itinerary, it's a shame it probably won't be repeated.... as originally the cruise was going to the Black Sea and this was the changed itinerary. However we count ourselves lucky to have been able to revisit some of our favourites such as Limnos, Samos, Mykonos and Santorini (we too did the boat/bus trip to Oia) and also to visit the gem of a place that is Monemvasia....our favourite place of the whole cruise!!
jenny wren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Previous