Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October 2015

P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October 2015

Re: P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October

Postby Hannah » 18 Oct 2015 14:22

Just viewed photos - ship looks fabulous.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October

Postby JollyJill » 18 Oct 2015 15:11

I have now read the complete review and feel that you have covered all aspects of of the ship Marie, allowing people to make an informed judgement as to whether Britannia would tick their own personal boxes.

As you are the first person to have submitted a review on P & O's latest addition to their fleet, I am sure that the detail you have given us will be valuable. :thumbup:

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 Oct 2015 15:36

Very interesting and informative, Marie - enjoyed it all, and the lovely pics. too. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby adogap » 18 Oct 2015 15:56

Thank you very much Marie, I doubt we would ever sail on Britannia but was very interested to know more about her. Perhaps P&O had to hire new crew members and it is a shame so many were miserable and grumpy. I really love the interior furnishings, colour scheme, design and overall ambience but cannot understand the lack of a Promenade Deck, this is very important to us and somewhere we tend to spend a lot of time. Food does appear to be excellent, high praise indeed when you compliment the steaks! I especially like the “Grab and Go’ concept.
It was a relief to know all was orderly at Ocean Terminal. We are embarking on a cruise from there next month and I was mindful of your previous experience at QE2 Terminal.
Excellent photos and a very enjoyable review.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 18 Oct 2015 16:16

adogap wrote:Thank you very much Marie, I doubt we would ever sail on Britannia but was very interested to know more about her. Perhaps P&O had to hire new crew members and it is a shame so many were miserable and grumpy. I really love the interior furnishings, colour scheme, design and overall ambience but cannot understand the lack of a Promenade Deck, this is very important to us and somewhere we tend to spend a lot of time. Food does appear to be excellent, high praise indeed when you compliment the steaks! I especially like the “Grab and Go’ concept.
It was a relief to know all was orderly at Ocean Terminal. We are embarking on a cruise from there next month and I was mindful of your previous experience at QE2 Terminal.
Excellent photos and a very enjoyable review.

Chris

Thank you all of you who have commented so far. It is a bit of a Saga but as Jill said I was aware that I would be the first to review it on here so probably said more than I might have done for another ship.

Chris, don't worry I am sure all will be well for you. We have never had anything but a positive experience at Ocean Terminal. Even Mayflower terminal, which we do not particularly like because of queuing outside when coming off a coach, was a dream compared to QE11 terminal. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: P&O Britannia - Azores, Canary Islands, Portugal & Spain - 25th September-9th October

Postby Tiggy » 18 Oct 2015 19:35

Fab review Marie and wonderful photographs. The cabins look lovely and modern, the public areas are bright and the entertainment sounds good but your comments about the crew would be enough for me to not want to cruise on her.
My two favourite cruise lines are excellent at customer service, even though they have small ships that are a bit old. Britannia is shiny and new but there are many ships out there that I would like to cruise on before trying P&O.
Tiggy
Tiggy
Chief Purrser
Chief Purrser

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby jocap » 18 Oct 2015 21:01

That was excellent, Marie- a real, honest look at this vast ship.
I've heard several times that staff on P&O are trained to be more quiet around passengers, and that those from the Indian area don't come across as friendly as on US ships. We noticed the difference going from Jade to Ventura....also, on V. once, I was involved in a fun evening being run by crew; our cabin steward, Ana, dragged me into it. I kept asking her to call me Jo, as they would have on Thomson....but she always shook her head and continued calling me madam. I believe this quietness is a part of the training....I don't think I've ever met with rudeness, though. I do hope the rest of the cruise made up for it.
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 19 Oct 2015 09:25

Thanks for the excellent review and photos Marie. :thumbup:

I do like what I've seen in photos of the décor but the lack of a promenade deck would be a big negative for me. Still, perhaps we'll get to try Britannia ourselves one day.

By coincidence, we were out to dinner yesterday with my daughter and her partner who, members might remember, were on Britannia's maiden cruise back in March. So with this latest review in mind we chatted for a while about Britannia. Admittedly it was five years ago that we did our only P&O cruise and I thought things might have improved since, but we felt the same way about the crew as Marie. While many were as pleasant as on any other ship, we thought that a good many (especially those serving and waiting at outside bars) were definitely unfriendly. I asked my daughter what they thought of Britannia's staff and she said they were all extremely pleasant.

Still on the subject of Britannia, I learned that while my daughter loved almost everything about the cruise, she was extremely unhappy about one aspect - the food. Despite her informing P&O that she's a vegan many months before the cruise, she was offered the most insultingly supposedly vegan food imaginable. And despite P&O hyping Britannia as a ship for fine cuisine, they didn't even seem to understand what vegan food is. So while everyone else in their party was eating high quality (and relatively expensive) meals, for two weeks she was given bland, tasteless risottos and dishes she couldn't eat because they obviously contained dairy products. It was all incredibly frustrating for her and one evening she even walked out of the restaurant in tears.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 19 Oct 2015 10:40

Thank you for your kind comments Dave. Yes, I did remember that your daughter had been on the maiden voyage and sent some great photos which you posted on here. Much better than mine, I have to add. :D

I wasn't sure about posting this review because in some respects I do think it may come over very negatively despite the things that we did like about the ship.

We did share some of our thoughts onboard with others who have sailed with P&O before and their thoughts were the same as ours about the demeanor of some of the crew that they haven't encountered on other P&O shps. Apparently, and this is only hearsay obviously, the crew for the naming and maiden voyage were all experienced people brought from other ships and they were changed afterwards for different people who were perhaps new to the jobs.

Having said that some of the grumpiest were senior people. I was quite embarassed one day to overhear the person in charge of the Costa counter being really rude to a gentleman who requested a croissant to take away. He had a Costa card but didn't want the coffee - there is no charge for the cakes but should only be ordered with coffee apparently! Honestly you would have thought the man was trying to steal it the way this person spoke to him.

What a pity your daughter had such a bad experience about her dietary requests when everyone else in the party were enjoying the meals. I must admit I was more impressed on Norwegian Epic recently. There was a great diversity of nationalities on that cruise and, including the obvious nuts, vegetarian and vegan dietary restrictions, there were very clear notices beside some dishes in the buffet describing what could have been taboo for some people, i.e. pork, because of religious beliefs.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby CGBOWLER » 19 Oct 2015 10:51

Thanks for your excellent review Marie.
I had a fleeting fancy to try this large ship which is really out of our comfort zone. It was really just to try a new ship.
The fancy has passed now. :)
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext