Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Britannia April 23rd 2016 Norwegian Fjords review

Britannia April 23rd 2016 Norwegian Fjords review

Postby Dave » 10 May 2016 15:03

Downbythedocks wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses to my review of Britannia/Fjords.

I will be back asking questions about my next location, ship or possibly different cruise line. All I know at the moment is it won't be a small ship as they hold no interest to us (each to their own) It will be Southampton and return but destination as yet unknown

Possibly one more this year and another in 2017 :thumbup:

Edit.....should have said you were all correct months ago when you said it could become addictive :wave:

Hi DBTD

I agree that we all have our own preferences, but as someone who enjoys both big and small ships equally (and ocean and river cruises equally too) I can't help wondering why small ships hold no interest to you. ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Downbythedocks » 10 May 2016 15:49

Good question Dave but not sure of the answer to be honest.

I used to work alongside the ships for a good few years taking the crews into town and back again. The smaller ships never seemed exciting to me unlike the larger ones which I preferred. Now i have retired I still feel the same and if I booked one of the smaller ships it wouldn't hold much fascination for me. That's all I can say really and I know it doesn't really answer your question.
Downbythedocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 10 May 2016 16:08

Downbythedocks wrote:Good question Dave but not sure of the answer to be honest.

I used to work alongside the ships for a good few years taking the crews into town and back again. The smaller ships never seemed exciting to me unlike the larger ones which I preferred. Now i have retired I still feel the same and if I booked one of the smaller ships it wouldn't hold much fascination for me. That's all I can say really and I know it doesn't really answer your question.

That all makes perfect sense to me DBTD. I have a similar story - except in reverse. I travelled with my family to and from Australia when I was a child and the ships were very small. So when we did our first 'modern' cruise in 2004 I wanted to relive the experience and so we did a taster cruise on Fred Olsen's tiny Braemar (19,000grt). Because we loved it, we stuck with Fred Olsen and their smaller ships clocking up 200 or so nights on board before we thought we ought to see what a big ship is like. (Coincidentally, our first big ship was Ventura.) We discovered that there was a lot we liked about big, modern ships - but there's still a lot we like about small ships too. A lot is much the same, and a lot is very different! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Downbythedocks » 10 May 2016 17:17

Now that brings back memories for me because as kids we used to sneak into the docks to look at the Southern Cross and Northern Star when they were in port. Obviously you could be much younger than I so I'm not assuming you were a £10 Pom but when I was about eight years old I went to our local post office to get the forms for my parents to fill in. Not that I wanted to go to Australia but I did so want to get a look inside those two ships ;)

Needless to say both parents had no intention of going to Australia but an eight year old could dream :lol:

Thanks for reminding me of the times :D
Downbythedocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 10 May 2016 17:21

Downbythedocks wrote:Now that brings back memories for me because as kids we used to sneak into the docks to look at the Southern Cross and Northern Star when they were in port. Obviously you could be much younger than I so I'm not assuming you were a £10 Pom but when I was about eight years old I went to our local post office to get the forms for my parents to fill in. Not that I wanted to go to Australia but I did so want to get a look inside those two ships ;)

Needless to say both parents had no intention of going to Australia but an eight year old could dream :lol:

We were indeed Ten Pound Poms. And I've written all about our adventures here: Ten Pound Poms! :D
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 10 May 2016 17:34

Downbythedocks wrote:Now that brings back memories for me because as kids we used to sneak into the docks to look at the Southern Cross and Northern Star when they were in port. Obviously you could be much younger than I so I'm not assuming you were a £10 Pom but when I was about eight years old I went to our local post office to get the forms for my parents to fill in. Not that I wanted to go to Australia but I did so want to get a look inside those two ships ;)

I dreamed that dream for years DBTD. My paternal grandfather had been born in Sydney but sadly taken back to Ireland at age 5 when his young mum died. He always encouraged his family to emigrate for a better life. At one point the forms were filled and the hopes were high but Mum couldn't face it. Two of my father's sisters had gone and came back to Glasgow so Mum heard all the negatives. What a disappointment. :(

I have to admit that then it was the country that appealed not travelling on the ships. The biggest vessel I had been on at this point was the Govan ferry across the Clyde and it really was not a pleasant journey for me. Thankfully, despite all my misgivings, the start of cruising in 2007 bore no comparison. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Downbythedocks » 10 May 2016 17:45

Dave wrote:

We were indeed Ten Pound Poms. And I've written all about our adventures here: Ten Pound Poms! :D

Fascinating thread Dave thanks :)
Downbythedocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
England

Postby Downbythedocks » 10 May 2016 17:52

grannyM wrote:

I dreamed that dream for years DBTD. My paternal grandfather had been born in Sydney but sadly taken back to Ireland at age 5 when his young mum died. He always encouraged his family to emigrate for a better life. At one point the forms were filled and the hopes were high but Mum couldn't face it. Two of my father's sisters had gone and came back to Glasgow so Mum heard all the negatives. What a disappointment. :(

I have to admit that then it was the country that appealed not travelling on the ships. The biggest vessel I had been on at this point was the Govan ferry across the Clyde and it really was not a pleasant journey for me. Thankfully, despite all my misgivings, the start of cruising in 2007 bore no comparison. :D

Such a shame you never got your dream at the time but there's a reason for everything isn't there. Must say though having the forms all filled must have been such a disappointment for you. I'm glad cruising proved better than the Govan ferry :D
Downbythedocks
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 10 May 2016 17:54

grannyM wrote:

We lived in Australia for three years before returning to the UK. From talking to my parents many years later my feeling is that although they loved the country they faced a great deal of prejudice as immigrants. Hard to imagine in these enlightened times isn't it? :roll:
Dave
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Downbythedocks » 10 May 2016 18:05

Yes how shocking! :cry:
Downbythedocks