Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - P&O Oceana Spain, Portugal & Morocco January 2015

P&O Oceana Spain, Portugal & Morocco January 2015

Re: P&O Oceana Spain, Portugal & Morocco January 2015

Postby tomvet » 10 Feb 2015 19:58

Great review! Fabulous photos! Glad you enjoyed the cruise!
I still think P&O is not for us - for many reasons not least cost!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

P & O Oceana Spain, Portugal & Morocco January 2015

Postby Wansbrough » 10 Feb 2015 20:00

tomvet wrote:
Dave wrote:
All I need now is a couple more reviews from members' recent cruises and I'll be able to do the February newsletter. ;)

The weekend, I promise!!!

Not wishing to hijack Jill's review but I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 10 Feb 2015 20:20

Thanks, Jill. Your last two cruises have been on ships that I'm considering for the future, so very interested to read what you had to say.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 10 Feb 2015 20:24

tomvet wrote:Great review! Fabulous photos! Glad you enjoyed the cruise!
I still think P&O is not for us - for many reasons not least cost!

Thanks Tom. I like the new avatar. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 10 Feb 2015 20:27

bobbyoscar wrote:Thanks, Jill. Your last two cruises have been on ships that I'm considering for the future, so very interested to read what you had to say.

Glad to be of service Glyn.
Just a little proviso- A disabled man on our table in the MDR told us that he was not allowed to take his own scooter on board and so was forced to hire one of theirs at considerable cost.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 10 Feb 2015 20:55

JollyJill wrote: A disabled man on our table in the MDR told us that he was not allowed to take his own scooter on board and so was forced to hire one of theirs at considerable cost.

When I completed our form for P & O last summer re wheelchairs and scooters, there were specific dimensions that were acceptable. AS you say, if you have a 'vehicle' that doesn't comply, an added expense to consider.

Cruises booked:
October 2018 – P & O Oriana - Cadiz - Catania - Corigliano Calabro – Venice –Zadar - Dubrovnik - Kotor - Corfu - Gibraltar
February 2019 – P & O Aurora - Andalsnes – Tromso – Alta – Stavanger
September 2019 - P & O Azura - Malaga -Messina - Mykonos - Piraeus - Santorini - Katakolon - Gibraltar
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 10 Feb 2015 21:03

bobbyoscar wrote:
JollyJill wrote: A disabled man on our table in the MDR told us that he was not allowed to take his own scooter on board and so was forced to hire one of theirs at considerable cost.

When I completed our form for P & O last summer re wheelchairs and scooters, there were specific dimensions that were acceptable. AS you say, if you have a 'vehicle' that doesn't comply, an added expense to consider.

I have read elsewhere that P&O limit the number of 'scooters' on board and that you have to bring your chair / scooter into your cabin i.e. you cannot leave it in the corridor. Health and safety being the most often trotted out reason. [Actually when this is trotted out, I usually ask to see the risk assessment which is usually met with a blank look!].

I would like to know what the official i.e. legal position is because on MSC, Fred and Costa we left our buggy in the corridor without any hassle!

I honestly believe that it is a ploy to extract more cash from the punter rather than anything really to do with health and safety. As said already - no one has every shown me the risk assessment. I would go as far as saying that in the event of a real emergency I think it is safer to have a person on their own chair that they are familiar with rather than a strange one!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby sevenseascoaster » 10 Feb 2015 21:23

JollyJill wrote:
sevenseascoaster wrote:Great and interesting review and pictures Jill, so interesting to see the inside of ships you have never sailed on yourself. Thanks. We keep saying we will try P & O and we will one day :) They do seem value for money.

I thought of you and Paul whilst on board Wen because there a lot of wheelchair and scooter users on our cruise..

That's an interesting fact Jill, 'cause I thought you could only sail with a scooter with P & O if you had a disabled cabin, and we know there are not many of those available?. Shall look into it.

Tom we have never ever left P's scooter in the corridor, as others would have difficulty getting past, especially the attendants with their trolleys, its always tucked away in the cabin, it folds up really small and goes into a wardrobe or under a desk etc., and because of this fact I get annoyed when some lines state you can only bring it if using a disabled cabin. P only requires the scooter for walking, and not full disabled services., so by using a disabled cabin it means someone else who needs the facilities of this cabin go without.
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Mungo » 10 Feb 2015 22:09

Thanks Jill. :D Good to read your thoughts on Oceana, one of my favourite P&O ships. :mrgreen:

I love Cafe Jardin for breakfast. (Free!) with some healthy choices plus breakfast paninis etc. ;)

Best parts are the buffet for the panoramic views and the lovely atrium. :mrgreen:

As for Headliners, some singers are just er bad! :lol:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JollyJill » 10 Feb 2015 22:18

Mungo wrote:Thanks Jill. :D Good to read your thoughts on Oceana, one of my favourite P&O ships. :mrgreen:

I love Cafe Jardin for breakfast. (Free!) with some healthy choices plus breakfast paninis etc. ;)

Best parts are the buffet for the panoramic views and the lovely atrium. :mrgreen:

As for Headliners, some singers are just er bad! :lol:

We did try Cafe Jardin but it was lunch time, we had to wait 20 minutes for a table and we were a bit disappointed with the service and atmosphere, which is why we went to the Ligurian for lunch for the rest of the cruise.
I must say that the panoramic view was lovely in the buffet (The Plaza) which is where we always had breakfast and met up with Stan and May.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext