Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Postby Mungo » 19 Apr 2015 19:01

This will short but sweet compared to other reviews over the past few days! :lol:

Grabbed a 4 night bargain on Oriana just a month or so before sailing. Guarantee inside cabin... £249pp. We ended up with a cabin a grade higher than the lowest, we were on C Deck aft which proved to be in a brilliant position near the aft tier decks. ;) Plus we got Freedom dining which is what we opt for these days.

Well, severe winds in Southampton meant Oriana was unable to dock safely (she sustained a huge dent on her starboard side when trying to dock!) and P&O decided to delay the cruise by 24hours. We were given 50% refund, £30 OBC each plus meals, accommodation costs for the night we missed. We had the option for P&O to take us to a hotel but we stayed with our friends. So our 4 nighter became 3 nights. We lost the sea day but made it to Guernsey and Zeebrugge.

We went with friends who have just moved to Southampton. Although established cruisers they have always done fly cruises and this was a first time with P&O and sailing from the UK!

Oriana is showing her age but she oozes elegance and class. I love her real wood wrap around prom and her tired aft decks and she remains my favourite P&O ship. :mrgreen:

We visited the war time underground museum in Guernsey and had a lovely lunch in The Loft in the main street. Our friends had never been to Blankenburgh so we headed there on the free P&O shuttle and found a real Belgian Bar with not one word of English heard!

In all it was a super mini cruise. We made the most of our extra day in Southampton! Oriana had had Norovirus the cruise before so we were served in the buffet. We tried all the bars..... Love the Crows Nest and like Tiffany's for Costa coffee.

P&O dealt with the situation very well. I got regular texts with updated information plus a phone call.

The photo is of Oriana at about 9pm finally safely berthed and waiting for us to join the next morning!
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Postby sevenseascoaster » 19 Apr 2015 19:12

Shame it was cut short, but sounded like they made great efforts with the compensation, and you still enjoyed it all :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby adogap » 19 Apr 2015 19:17

Thank you Sue, glad to hear the delay did not diminish your enjoyment, sounds like you had a great time. I hear a lot about ‘freedom dining’ but don't know what it is. Can you just turn up when ever you want?

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
Canada, Queen Mary 2, September 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 19 Apr 2015 19:23

sevenseascoaster wrote:Shame it was cut short, but sounded like they made great efforts with the compensation, and you still enjoyed it all :)

You can't govern the weather Wen. Oriana's initial problem was an Aida ship hadn't been able to sail which was where she was due to berth. I felt more sorry for the people who couldn't disembark. :shock:

Once we knew we were to be in Southampton an extra day, we headed for a pub lunch then went into the city centre for an evening meal. :D I do enjoy sea days and because we missed ours I never even had a chance to read my Kindle or do any Sudukos! :lol:

I do think P&O''s offer was very generous and can't complain. :mrgreen:
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Mungo » 19 Apr 2015 19:29

adogap wrote:Thank you Sue, glad to hear the delay did not diminish your enjoyment, sounds like you had a great time. I hear a lot about ‘freedom dining’ but don't know what it is. Can you just turn up when ever you want?

Chris

Chris, Freedom dining means you can turn up at the designated MDR between certain times. On Oriana that was between 6 and 9.30pm. The menu is exactly the same. If you're happy to share a table then you are normally seated immediately. If it's very busy or you want a table for two then you may be given a buzzer. I enjoy Freedom as we can eat when we want rather than a set time. ;)
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby adogap » 19 Apr 2015 19:37

Mungo wrote:Chris, Freedom dining means you can turn up at the designated MDR between certain times. On Oriana that was between 6 and 9.30pm. The menu is exactly the same. If you're happy to share a table then you are normally seated immediately. If it's very busy or you want a table for two then you may be given a buzzer. I enjoy Freedom as we can eat when we want rather than a set time. ;)

I really like this idea. On FO ships you either go to your table at an appointed time or serve yourself in the ‘canteen’. Good to have an additional choice. Thanks Sue.

Chris
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 19 Apr 2015 20:14

Sounds as though you still enjoyed the cruise even though it was cut short. We did one on the QM2 a couple of winters ago and thoroughly enjoyed it too. If we lived nearer Southampton we would probably do more.

Joan

Future cruises

Royal Caribbean, T/A, The Brilliance in Of The Seas, October 2016.
Royal Caribbean, Caribbean, Freedom Of The Seas, November, 2016
Royal Caribbean, The Arctic Circle, Serenade Of The Seas, June, 2017
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Mungo » 19 Apr 2015 20:41

tobysgranny wrote:Sounds as though you still enjoyed the cruise even though it was cut short. We did one on the QM2 a couple of winters ago and thoroughly enjoyed it too. If we lived nearer Southampton we would probably do more.

Joan

Joan, we've done several "mini" cruises now. :D They make a nice break and are generally cheaper than breaks away in the UK! :roll: I wish there were more from Dover as that's our local port! Having friends in Southampton is a bonus now though! ;)
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby grannyM » 20 Apr 2015 09:25

Mungo wrote:
adogap wrote:Thank you Sue, glad to hear the delay did not diminish your enjoyment, sounds like you had a great time. I hear a lot about ‘freedom dining’ but don't know what it is. Can you just turn up when ever you want?

Chris

Chris, Freedom dining means you can turn up at the designated MDR between certain times. On Oriana that was between 6 and 9.30pm. The menu is exactly the same. If you're happy to share a table then you are normally seated immediately. If it's very busy or you want a table for two then you may be given a buzzer. I enjoy Freedom as we can eat when we want rather than a set time. ;)

Sue, good to hear you all enjoyed your mini-cruise despite the set-back at the start. :)

Chris, on some ships, I know RCI and Princess at least, as well as just turning up you can even book your table in the morning for a time that suits you that particular day. We don't always do this but it is handy if you want to book a table for two or particularly for instance on a formal night when the MDR is usually busier so you don't have to queue or wait for a pager call. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby adogap » 20 Apr 2015 09:45

Thanks Marie. This would be particularly good if you wanted to dine with other people, I expect if you all turned up together you would be facilitated at the same table. Great thing about this forum, you learn all about different ships without ever setting foot inside one!

Chris
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Next