Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Re: Oriana mini cruise Easter 2015

Postby grannyM » 20 Apr 2015 10:51

adogap wrote:Thanks Marie. This would be particularly good if you wanted to dine with other people, I expect if you all turned up together you would be facilitated at the same table. Great thing about this forum, you learn all about different ships without ever setting foot inside one!

Chris

Absolutely agree with you there Chris. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Dave » 20 Apr 2015 14:49

Thanks for the review Sue. I'm glad you had a good time in the end... and that P&O handled things well. :D
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 20 Apr 2015 19:56

Pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself and were able to make the most out of the circumstances. :D

Nothing like a shortened mini cruise to lift ones spirits. :lol:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 21 Apr 2015 15:21

Mungo wrote:...
Well, severe winds in Southampton meant Oriana was unable to dock safely (she sustained a huge dent on her starboard side when trying to dock!)...

This has got me thinking.

At one port of call on our last cruise the Captain judged it too windy to attempt to dock. We didn't get closer than about 100m to the pier. We sailed on to the next port of call. No big deal.

I wonder if a captain is more likely to attempt to dock at a turnaround port than at those on the cruise itinerary. I wonder about this because failing to dock at a turnaround port has a significantly greater cost implication, not to mention inconvenience to a great many people. If (and I stress 'if') a captain is more likely to dock at a turnaround port than others, then wouldn't that be putting passengers at risk in order to avoid the cruise line losing money? Just a thought...
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 21 Apr 2015 16:36

You would think Southampton and the Solent wouldn't cause too much of a problem with plenty of space and berths available. It seems that the tugs had problems pulling Oriana in safely and took off the fenders in the process so no nice rubber tyres for her to bounce off! :lol: There were also some huge cargo ships in and these had to be avoided and I think it's the Màyflower terminal that is still under building work so no facilities available there.

I know P&O lost an awful lot of money on this cruise. At the time of entering Southampton I'm sure they didn't envisage such problems in the docking and had hoped a few hours delay would be all that would be encountered. As for passenger safety there was no disembarkation due to being in a RORO berth and no safe facilities.

I'm not sure what alternatives there could have been on this occasion as I think the strong winds were all along the coast. Even the 24 hour delay must have caused problems with restocking etc. it must have been a nightmare for P&O!
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Previous