Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery - French and Spanish Flavours - October 2019

Spirit of Discovery - French and Spanish Flavours - October 2019

Postby khkate » 24 Oct 2019 14:50

This is a review of our recent cruise taken on Saga's new ship, Spirit of Discovery, compiled from my daily posts on Facebook. It is slightly more detailed than normal as i was also trying to detail things about the ship - and these feelings/opinions are my own. I am aware that not everyone will agree with them. We didn't get off the ship much this cruise - but it was intended just to be a chance for both of us to relax - which we did!

Captain Julian Burgess, Cruise director Michelle, Asst CD Maja, Cruise Staff Hilary, Fernando and Phil, Destinations speaker Geoff Talbot

Monday 7th October – DOVER
Good evening all from Spirit of Discovery. Picked up on time today by John (from Atworth) who we have had a few times before and shared with a couple from Bristol. Short comfort stop at Clacket Lane; got to Dover at 1310 and checked in, but boarding did not start until 1400. Found out which cabin we had been allocated, S501, that’s at the front on Sun Deck, just behind the gym. Had embarkation buffet in the Grill and then explored the ship before returning to unpack cases. Cabin is quite small for 2 people and though ample wardrobe space, very little drawer space. We saw from our lifejackets that our muster station was in the Playhouse Theatre, which we had looked into and agreed that the stairs would be interesting to navigate. However, when we had muster drill, we were actually in the art gallery, a small exclusive group of about 30 people. Now just changing for dinner, we have got fixed dining in the GDR - table 74 - and we have managed to book into the Club for Thursday evening (the night we are in Bordeaux). Weather has deteriorated during the afternoon. We arrived in brilliant sunshine, it’s now raining with 35 knot winds apparently, but little sensation of movement. The captain will give us an update of whether Guernsey is happening tomorrow, or what alternative plans are on offer.(Advised later that due to sea conditions, we would be going to Cherbourg).

Tuesday 8th October - CHERBOURG
Extremely early good morning from on board saga Spirit of Discovery. Seas are a little lumpy apparently, about 35 knots with 3-4 metre swells, but all we are getting is a little shimmy. Should have been calling at Guernsey today but call cancelled due to sea conditions, so instead going to Cherbourg. fourth time of being at this port as a bolthole. We will probably stay on board, relax and get to learn our way round the ship.

Lovely ship, biggest drawback for us is the layout of the cabin, definitely NOT designed to be practical. The bed dominates and overtakes the room. Makes getting to the wardrobe for two people impossible. Plenty of wardrobe space, but with sliding doors, only one person at a time can access stuff. Drawer storage space is extremely limited. Two small drawers in wardrobe below the safe and then the other drawers (2 deeper and 3 shallow) are in the dressing table, plus a deeper drawer in base of bedside units.

There is tea/coffee making facilities within the cabin. But water and kettle at different ends of the cabin, as is waste bin and the "fridge" is totally impractical. Only space in it for a small carton of milk. That carton of milk says lift here (managed that), tear here (needs scissors to cut) and then to try and pour from it without spilling it is difficult. Bathroom is well thought out with plenty of storage, good corner shower unit, nice and powerful and the lovely Prija toiletries. There is a light round the mirror which dims at night and means you can go to the loo at night without using the main lights. Arrangements of light switches by the bed are a bit complicated. There is a handy little reading light, but its switch is next to the bedside light. The switch for the bedside light is below that light and next to a rocker switch for the main lights.

Two armchairs and a little table at end of the cabin by the balcony. Good sized balcony with two wicker chairs and a small table out there. Doer relatively easy to open and close, but the lever to lock/unlock is a bit difficult. Getting into cabin from outside, one just needs to wave cruise card in front of sensor for it to open. Need to insert cruise card (or another plastic card) in a slot to switch cabin lights on. Below the card light control are two rocker switches, one to say make my room up and the other do not disturb. When your card is in the slot, this brings up a green light on a panel outside the cabin, so people know you are inside. The make-up room switch changes that light to amber and the do not disturb switch changes it to red.

Clocks went forward one hour last night to put us on European time. We've just had a cuppa but will now have another snooze until our room breakfast arrives at 0745 and we are due to arrive at Cherbourg about 0830, although looking at the webcam, there is somewhere with lots of lights ahead already, at 0615.

Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery just departing Cherbourg. We did spend the day on board, every time we encountered a door to the outside, it was chilly and blowy. After a lovely room service breakfast - although the table for serving it is small and low, we set off on some travels around the ship. H was a bit confused last night and this morning but settled in now. We played carpet bowls in the Chart Room (H won). Then down to reception to register card and book for a bridge visit. Went and sat in the Britannia Lounge for the morning. Lunch in GDR, then bridge visit. Then to the Playhouse to see the film A Dogs Journey (very emotional) and then a cuppa in the Living Room. Now back in the cabin as we leave the port in bright sunshine. Have been warned of lumpy seas due to strong winds (force 8) overnight, but winds will drop tomorrow morning as we enter the Bay!

One thing that does get frustrating as one goes around the various decks is how you get confronted by a wall or crew only entry and then you have to go back to a lift lobby and up the other corridor.

Just for info, we left the Playhouse just before the lights came up and it looked like they had put some low-level lighting in so one could see the steps. However, I found it difficult when we went in, with lights up, to see the edges of the stairs because of the lack of difference in the colour of the carpet - they really need a lighter strip at the edge of the steps, to make it easier.

Bridge visit was fascinating, so different to the bridge on other Saga ships and many techno advances to make it easier to navigate, whilst remaining very green. Some interesting stuff to be used when they do the polar cruises next year. So generally, thoughts on the ship are positive, apart from cabin design/layout, improvements for the theatre and some improvements to make it easier to navigate the full length of the ship.

Wednesday 9th October – AT SEA (Formal)
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in the Bay of Biscay. Last night after leaving Cherbourg and going past the Channel Islands was windy and lumpy, but not too bad for motion of the ship. Only thing in the cabin throwing itself around was our shower door. There was some banging in the corridor, which this morning I discovered was a cupboard with some electrical stuff inside so notified reception. Room service breakfast and then to the Chart Room to play ring toss, led by Phil, nice guy - reminded me of Jay, who used to be cruise staff a few years ago.

Then went up to the Britannia Lounge to have some tea and sit by the window watching the waves and falling asleep. Lunch in the GDR, then the Playhouse for the port talk on Bilbao by Geoff Porter. Into the Living Room to get some tea and a bowl of ice cream. Now reading in the cabin. This morning it was raining and all outside decks were closed. Now it’s sunny and 17 degrees, getting warmer as the days go on, forecast to be 21 tomorrow in Bordeaux and 30 in Bilbao on Saturday.

Playhouse theatre - we went down the central aisle and even under full lights, I did not feel safe going up or down and had to hold on seat backs. Sitting next to others, they all commented on really having to watch where you placed your feet. Being fairly long-legged, I was a bit cramped for legroom and had to sit sideways, back was aching after about 30 mins. Saw some of the ironwork, but much hidden by the screen, does make area look a bit industrial. People did comment about needing access at the bottom, but apparently, that cannot be used by passengers as it goes through the spa area. Wheelchair users were at the back.

Tonight is first formal night (cocktail party in the Britannia Lounge but unlikely to go). It mentions in Today programme that waiter service will be available in the Grill, so we will give it a try. Just had dinner in the Grill, waiter service. Shared table with two delightful ladies, one who had been on cruise no 3, the week to Norway. Funnily enough, they both also had lots to say about poor layout of the standard cabins. Apparently, the solo cabins, the huge bed is jammed between the wardrobe and the dressing table, making access to both difficult. Also, both commented on Playhouse issues. One lady is like me in not being slow in writing to Saga to let them know (my letter won't be done until I get home).
Service in the Grill was slow. Kept ordering things and being told they weren't available, even though we were one of the early ones. It was heaving in there and exceedingly noisy, not a place we will dine again. We asked as usual for J20 spritz to drink. They came up with a bottle something and assured us it was; it wasn't, it was wine, so got left.

Thursday 10th October - BORDEAUX
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in Bordeaux. I was awake at 0600 to see the approach via the bridge webcam as the ship came under the rising bridge, did a pirouette and then reversed past a couple river cruisers and berthed. I went out onto the balcony to get a couple of photos of the night skyline before getting back into bed for another hour of sleep. Room service breakfast arrived as dawn was breaking. Forecast for today and tomorrow is dry, sunny and max of 25 degrees. Early morning was already 15 degrees! Headed sown the gangway just before 1000 to meet with Alexandre and his motorbike sidecar combo. We were soon aboard with helmets on - me in the sidecar and H riding pillion.

We headed across the bridge that we had earlier come under and onto the right bank. We did a couple of stops there, looking at old aircraft hangers that re now used for things like restaurants, party venues, artists communes. We drove off road through rows of trees to get a photo of the ship and realised there was another cruise ship behind ours, Phoenix Reisen’s Amera. Drove further along the right bank and then crossed over back to the left bank. We stopped by the Place de la Bourse and one of the old city gates - Alexandre took a couple of photos of us. Then we went into the main areas, but were able to go along narrow streets, passing many squares and beautiful old buildings. We got off the bike for a short wander and Akexandre took us to two places where he bought us some local pastries - canelés and dune blanches - to try. We then walked back to the bike, regained our seats and came back to the ship.

We dropped coats and camera in the cabin before heading to the GDR for lunch. We shared with two couples, one from Manchester area and the other from Suffolk, both fascinated to hear of our morning adventure. Leaving the GDR, we met the chef and I asked if he had heard of dune blanches. He hadn't, I told him about them and that they are only found in one shop in Bordeaux; he is going to try and get some for the ship.

Now just resting in the cabin on our balcony overlooking the city and tonight we dine in the Club. There is a local folkloric group performing in the Playhouse, so we will attend that. We remain in Bordeaux overnight and tomorrow. Had dinner in the club tonight - fabulous! I had fillet steak followed by Arctic souffle. H had rack of lamb (which was huge) followed by strawberry cheesecake. Went to folkloric show in the Playhouse. Excellent show. The dancers at the end danced sideways up and down the aisles and a couple of them almost tumbled down the steps - good thing they were all holding hands.

Friday 11th October - BORDEAUX
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in Bordeaux still (day 2). Being late to bed (for us) after a brilliant folkloric show, we both slept well through to a knock on the door heralding the arrival of our breakfast. Another beautiful sunny day, blue skies, light airs, but those airs have a nip to them. After breakfast, we took ourselves out for a wander along the promenade to go and look at the mirrored lake, which has been empty each time we have been here. And again, it was empty, later I found out, it is not filled until 1100 each day. We wandered up a bit further as far as where a sailing ship was moored and then walked back - an opportunity to get some more photos of this lovely city plus of our ship too. We got back to the ship about 0930, and as we walked back along the gangway, H (behind me), took a tumble. Before I was able to turn around, there were two Saga staff already at his side to help him up. The gangplank had ridges and he had caught his foot in one of them.

He was a bit shaken up and a rather painful lump/bruise on one knee, but otherwise ok. We went to the Living Room and ordered some tea, so he could sit and recover. I popped our coats and camera back to the cabin. The security officer cane by to check he was ok. We then went up to the Lido deck with the intention of soaking up some warm sunshine and having lunch there. It was way too hot in the sun, and quite cool in the shade, so at noon we decided to eat in the GDR as usual.

We are now resting in the cabin. We are due to depart soon after 1700 and head for Bilbao.
Sitting on the Lido deck, there is noise from the funnel, almost like sitting next to a jet engine; bliss when it stops. Another thing we noticed today is how all round the ship, there is bland background taped music (can even be heard on the Lido deck). It’s at a low volume, but just enough so all you hear is plunk, plunk, plunk - quite irritating. Discovered the laundry list today - Saga and their corporate stationery at work again. Tiny writing, black type on a dark grey background - going to be interesting trying to fill that in when we send our laundry off, probably on Sunday.

Saturday 12th October - BILBAO
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in Bilbao. It’s very blowy outside, about a force 6 apparently, but very warm, with a forecast maximum of 29 degrees. Had a truly delicious - and tender - sirloin steak in GDR last night. Another good night's sleep right through to room service breakfast. We arrived in Bilbao one hour early, the other cruise ship - Amera - was already in, but we got the prime berth right next to the cruise terminal. The passengers from the other ship have a mighty long walk to the terminal!

We had a pot of tea in the Living Room. Then, we played ring toss (H won again, then tea in the South Cape Bar. Did almost one lap of the Prom deck, but gangway/ air bridge is on deck 6, so not easy to get all way round, especially with tours getting off. Then we went up to deck 13, by the deck games area and found an area sheltered from the wind. Lunch in GDR and now back in the cabin resting.

We had thought of going ashore and maybe just doing a round trip on the shuttle bus. However, we encountered two ladies who had come back. Today is a public holiday in Spain and whereas there should have been 4 shuttle buses an hour, there are only 2. With the other ship in, the first shuttle bus was full. They waited 30 mins for the second, but still unable to get on, so gave up; this helped me decide we would stay on. We are due to sail at 1730, sea day tomorrow and then Leixoes on Monday.

I decided this morning to take a laundry list to Guest services. I presented the young man with the form and asked how one was supposed to do one's laundry service if one couldn't read the list.
He said I can't see a problem.
I said I cannot read that, the types too small and light grey font on a mid-grey background doesn't work.
His response, well we can help you fill it in.
Me: So, are you going to come with me up to my cabin whilst I sort out my dirty laundry then?
Uh, no. What is your cabin number, we can send someone to help you.
No, I want a larger form where I can read what it says.
We can’t do anything at present, it’s a carbonated form, but your comments will be noted so we can change it for the future.
I want a larger copy of the form, so I can use it to fill in this stupid form to go with my laundry bag tomorrow.
Result - he went and enlarged it. So now I have a copy of the form to keep, in a size I can read, so I can send my stuff to the laundry.

Sunday 13th October – AT SEA
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in the Bay! We had rain earlier, but its brightening up now. Depart the Bay this evening and the ship is doing little shimmies, hardly any movement despite some lumps about outside. A beautiful sunrise this morning. Played carpet bowls (I won for a change). Then tea in the Living Room, sat in the South Cape Bar and then Sunday roast in GDR. Now relaxing in the cabin (laundry which was sent off last night is already back) and we will go and watch the film Yesterday later. Britannia Club party this evening (we won't go), clocks go back one hour tonight and we are due into Leixoes tomorrow at 0800. Thanks to my cruise consultant and housekeeping - beds are now twin, and I have a mattress topper. Much more comfortable. They (saga) don't tell you that if you walk into the cabin on the new ships and if its set as a double, you can ask for it to be twins, - or vice versa.

Monday 14th October - LEIXOES
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in Leixoes. That cruise ship, Amera, is stalking us as she came in ahead of us, and is in the inner harbour. We are further out at the cruise terminal. We arrived in showery rain and light gusty winds. A container ship arrived just after us and was very close to us whilst getting to its quay - I am sure our captain was keeping a beady eye on its progress.

Another quiet day on board. Not only because of the weather, but when they announced the gangway on the air bridge had a polished ceramic tile surface that was slippery due to the rain, I thought no way. Spent the morning in the South Cape Bar reading. Played killer darts (amazingly I won). Lunch in GDR and now resting in the cabin and its lovely blue skies and sunshine out there, max temp of 18 degrees. All aboard at 1630 and then we set sail for our final port tomorrow - La Coruna. Oh, and we shall have to put our clocks forward an hour again tonight onto European time. Just got Disembarkation letters. We are tag 8 at 0920, assigned lounge is South Cape Bar - cabins to be vacated by 0830.

Tuesday 15th October – LA CORUNA (Formal)
Good afternoon from Spirit of Discovery in La Coruna, the final port of call for this cruise. We left Leixoes 3/4 hour late yesterday evening as they were topping up some of the tanks. Capt. said the seas would be a little disturbed early hour of the morning as we got near Cape Finisterre. We put our clocks forward by one hour. We managed to book into the Club for the final night. Had a lovely lady called Josie join our table last night - our foursome was one of the last to leave the GDR!

We came up to the cabin and watched the film Queen of Katwe, which didn’t finish until after midnight. Ship's movement was much more noticeable (Atlantic) and eased off as we got to Finisterre (complete reversal of captain's forecast). Only ship in La Coruna today – (finally lost Amera). Just about woken in time for breakfast and arrival in port. 17 degrees out there, got some sunrise photos. Went to play ring toss (I won). Then cameras and coats and off for a walk along the promenade as far as the fort. Sun went in and wind increased. However, we managed to get back to ship before it rained. Lunch in GDR and now resting in the cabin. Due to depart at 1700. Tomorrow, final day at sea. Oh yes, and we've had the questionnaire and I've filled in all blank spaces with plenty of feedback and comments. Big lumpy seas forecast for the next 12-18 hours with force 6-7 winds rising to force 9 overnight and 3.5-4 metre swells from behind. Should be interesting, especially with a formal night tonight! We have been told to put fragile items on the floor before retiring. Goodbye La Coruna! Thank you for the water cannon from the tugs as we departed.
Well our foursome dinner table was probably known as the naughty table in the GDR. Lots of banter and laughter, and again, one of the last tables to clear. When, it came to desserts, John and Josie both ordered crepes suzette, H ordered creme brulee and I couldn’t make my mind up, so ordered choux swan and choc mousse. When the desserts came, John liked the look of the mousse (which came in a chocolate nest) and said jokingly he wanted one of those too. Next thing one appeared for him. He then asked Josie to share it with him, which meant I then shared mine with H. The fun then started trying to cut the nest in half. I couldn’t do, H couldn't do it, John had to do it for us.

Wednesday 16th October – AT SEA
Good morning from Spirit of Discovery in the bay. Well the captain's dire weather forecast never seemed to materialise. The balcony furniture was strapped down, the water bottles and glasses were on chairs protected by cushions, but just a few little shimmies and wobbles were felt - it was rougher the night before Leixoes.

This morning, we played carpet bowls and neither of us made it to the finals. Then to the Living Room for a pot of tea. Up to the Britannia Lounge to read and watch the sea, but all the most comfortable chairs were taken, so we went to our cabin. Lunch in the GDR (Cornish pasties) and now back in the cabin to relax, and later tackle the packing. The final few hours of our adventure. The captain is on the blower with his daily update. We are almost out of the Bay, will be back in the Channel in about an hour.

Enjoyed another lovely dinner in the club - had the Jools signature steak - lovely! H had the rack of lamb again but asked for it medium rare - big mistake as it was nearer rare, but he managed to saw through most of it. It was interesting, they had put on the Today programme that the Coast to Coast and East to West were fully booked for the last night, but people could go on a waiting list in case of cancellations. The Club was nowhere near full. We finished our dinner and it was too early to retire to the cabin, especially with the clocks going back an hour later to get back to UK time, so we sat in the Living Room. Our two normal GDR dining companions came along, so we ended up as a rather noisy foursome in the Living Room, just chatting. All decided to disperse and then got confronted by another couple - some friends we hadn't even known were on the cruise. They had been on the previous cruise as well - and we were all amazed that this was the first time we had come across each other. Sadly, they were not impressed with the ship. They are currently booked to do the Adriatic in April (26 nights) but are going to cancel, as they couldn't bear to be on the ship again for so long - and not sure they will cruise on the new ship again!

Thursday 17th October - SOUTHAMPTON
Good afternoon all! Yes, home again - by lunchtime. Southampton was so welcoming - it was pouring with rain, but as we drove nearer home, the rain eased, stopped, brightened and then the sun broke through!.

Disembarkation at Southampton today was a bit of a nightmare - not all of it, just one particular stage. This was the first time this ship has done a turn-around at this port - and it obviously needs some tweaks. The bit after you come through baggage reclaim to locate your drivers. I am glad we were Tag 8 and not any later - would be interested to hear from any others who were on this cruise, to see how they got on.

The disembarkation system on the ship worked well - goodness knows what happened to Tag 1 or Tag 5. Tags 2 - 4 were assigned to the Club to wait, 5 - 8 in the South Cape Bar, 9-10 in the Library and 11-24 in the Britannia Lounge. The last tag (24) were due off at noon - a long old wait as we had to be out of cabins by 0830! All wheelchair users were assigned to the starboard side of the Living Room.

Tag 1 was not allocated or mentioned "in dispatches" - might have been the car drivers, but as I say, we didn't hear them being called. You would only hear your tag number in your assigned area – although they did have to put out a general call for one lady, who seemed to have missed her tag - one assumes she was eventually located.

So in the South Cape Bar should have been Tags 5-8 and we had the lovely Fernando as the announcer. Tag 5 never got called, Tags 6 and 7 were called together 10 minutes earlier than scheduled. Tag 8 (last ones in the South Cape Bar) were called on time at 0920.
A fairly short air bridge into the terminal, then a long old walk to the escalator/lift and then turn back on yourself to the baggage reclaim area. Plenty of porters with their trolleys and quickly found and identified our luggage, which was placed on the trolley and then we went through customs and then popped out the door to arrivals where there were several drivers. This is where it all went pear-shaped.

It transpired that had a different system for the drivers - they arrived at a holding point and then when they were supposedly all there, they would be sent up to the arrivals hall with their cards showing who they were expecting. So in theory, all the drivers waiting for people should have been for Tag 8, and maybe a few stragglers from earlier tags. So, our names get called out - nothing! So we get shoved to one side. One of the Saga reps gets us the normal airline trolley, our luggage gets transferred onto that and put in a cordoned-off area, to free up the porter and his trolley. We are then told to go into the room behind (where the drivers normally wait) and give our names to another Saga lady, who will notify us when our driver is available.

Now one of the things they state on the disembarkation letter, is that tags won't be called until all transportation has arrived - so that is obviously not happened. Upon entering that said room, it was heaving - several drivers are apparently not there - long list of names of people waiting for drivers, including one of our dinner companions who had come off on Tag 2. So anyway, we sit there and wait - and wait, and suddenly we notice that outside the heavens have opened. Drivers come in and are told to go and register/book in at the Departure Lounge area to pick up their cards and then return.

Eventually, a driver (Gary) come through with the card bearing our names and the name of one other lady. We all find each other, then its still pouring and the car is parked a long walk away, so the driver goes off to try and get it closer (as several other cars do also). We are shoved back into the other area to go and find our trolleys, our driver reappears and points out the car. so, we end up having to push our own trolley to the car, manoeuvring it through bollards and the rain - it transpired there is another lady in our car and she was wheelchair assistance, and hasn't appeared yet.

We finally got away from the port at 1000, but with a little bit of better organisation, we could have been away a good 1/4 hour earlier. The other two ladies lived close to us - one in our nearest village (Neston) and the other in Box. The drive home was good - it poured with rain as far as Salisbury and then brightened up; i am sure the driver was cursing a bit as he needed his concentration and one of the ladies was sitting in the front next to him and she never stopped yakking. Anyway, we got home at 1245 - the lady in Box being dropped off first. She also didn’t like the ship - too big, too far to walk and she won't be doing any more cruises with Saga either! The other lady did like the ship but hasn't got anything booked yet

Now all unpacked - waded through all the junk that disguises itself as mail. Thanks for "travelling" with me, and here's to our next adventure in February, a short 4-night hop to Rouen.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Oct 2019 15:20

Many thanks for a most interesting and instructive read. It seems that a fair number of people are not too impressed with the ship which raises concerns for its future, especially as it is a large ship (for Saga) and all balcony cabins. Will they be able to fill it in future or will they be forced to offer discounted fares? Only time will tell.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Spirit of Discovery - French and Spanish Flavours - October 2019

Postby Meg50 » 24 Oct 2019 15:26

interesting you had problems on the gangplank in Bordeaux. When we were there the gangway was well nigh vertical in the morning, but levelled out later - something to do with the tides
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 24 Oct 2019 22:49

Thanks for your honest review khkate, a most interesting read.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 25 Oct 2019 09:47

Really enjoyed your interesting and detailed review, Lesley - thank you for taking the time to post. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby newmember » 25 Oct 2019 13:37

Thank you for that review - how did you get on with the lifejackets being kept on the floor of the wardrobe? Most inconvenient, we thought.
For your interest, departure Tag 1 is for those with their own car. We self-drive, and were told that our disembarkation time would be as soon as the ship cleared customs, so we had no specific waiting area.
Unfortunately, nobody actually announced when the ship had cleared customs, so after we (and several others) had been hanging around for a while, we went to reception who said, "why are you all still here? GO!".
newmember
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby khkate » 26 Oct 2019 09:24

newmember wrote:Thank you for that review - how did you get on with the lifejackets being kept on the floor of the wardrobe? Most inconvenient, we thought.

Yes I agree that was inconvenient - the design on the other ships of having a shelf above the garment rails was better as they were stashed out of the way. Also, with having the basket containing binoculars, laundry bags etc on top of the safe with the blanket - they all got showed to the floor on the other wardrobe - to create more storage space on top of the safe. Of course, this cut down space for putting shoes anywhere - apart from under the dressing table, or under the bed with the suitcases. .

In a sense, Saga have designed the cabins poorly, considering they had a blank canvas. Layout in general could have been better and spaces for storage has not really been considered. All very well designing the rooms to be based on boutique hotels, but people don't tend to spend long holidays in boutique hotels - it will be a nightmare for those planning to do the longer cruises, like 83 nights in 2021.

Meg - re the gangplank in Bordeaux: Bordeaux does have a big tidal range and they did have to keep moving the gangplank from Deck 6 to Deck 5 and back again, to account for this. It was the actual gangplank though - had ridges in it, almost as if they were step edges, but not actual steps. i don't think H was the first to be caught out on them.
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Meg50 » 26 Oct 2019 15:32

khkate wrote:

Meg - re the gangplank in Bordeaux: Bordeaux does have a big tidal range and they did have to keep moving the gangplank from Deck 6 to Deck 5 and back again, to account for this. It was the actual gangplank though - had ridges in it, almost as if they were step edges, but not actual steps. i don't think H was the first to be caught out on them.

but I suppose a smoother gangway would have been more dangerous in that steep an incline?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 26 Oct 2019 19:59

Meg50 wrote:but I suppose a smoother gangway would have been more dangerous in that steep an incline?

It wasn't a steep incline when he took a tumble - it was almost level. It's just he doesn't always pick his feet up properly - these days, he shuffles! Shuffles and ridges don't work!
CRUISES BOOKED:
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby rdw123 » 27 Oct 2019 08:17

Thanks for your review Lesley. The life jackets on the floor would actually be better for me as I am under 5 foot and always have difficulty reaching them off the top shelf! If there is not enough storage they may get relegated to under the bed with the suitcase. On the previous cruise to you in Jan/Feb so will soon find out.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Next