Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Re: Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Postby Camela » 04 Feb 2020 21:10

Thank you, lovely to follow a cruise when being a landlubber!! Especially as I saw one, good fare, went away for the weekend and it's no longer available... you snooze you lose.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby rdw123 » 05 Feb 2020 15:24

Today we are being bounced and shaken around. 5 meter swell. Took to my bed last night and stayed in my cabin today apart from a quick visit to the living room for coffee and croissant. Will probably be room service tonight. Tomorrow is another day and we should hit calmer waters early tomorrow. Several things cancelled or moved to a different venue. Bet those up on deck 12 are feeling it. I’m down in steerage on deck 8. We went through the Messina straight about 11, currently half way between Messina and Palermo.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Postby bobbyoscar » 05 Feb 2020 18:56

Thank you Ruth for keeping us informed; love reading your updates :thumbup:
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby rdw123 » 07 Feb 2020 14:52

Arrived in Cagliari yesterday morning to a beautiful day. I spent the day sitting up on deck in the sunshine as I have gone down with a stinker of a cold/cough. Seems to be quite a lot of others coughing. Have kept a low profile out on the open deck or in my cabin as I have not felt like doing a lot. Today is much calmer and we are just off Algiers. Captain has been on and is making a dash for Gib as he wants to get away a bit earlier to get ahead of the weather. First sea day should be okay but he was predicting 15 metre swells around Finisterre and Biscay. Don’t like the sound of that one but you take the rough with the smooth so to speak. They will be around roping down the balcony furniture again. They have only just unroped it. Saw a pod of dolphins this morning which was a bonus.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby rdw123 » 08 Feb 2020 16:35

We are currently anchored off Gibraltar taking on bunkers. We were refused permission to dock as several cases of noro virus have been reported. Authorities are very twitchy at the moment and it took them a couple of hours to decide no and off we had to go to anchor. There are worse places to be sat in the sun with the odd dolphin going by. I have had a dreadful cold and cough for the last few days and today had to resort to seeing the doctor. I await his bill!
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby khkate » 08 Feb 2020 19:19

Sorry to hear that Gib had to be a "view only" port. Please bring home the ship safe and sound as we are due to join her on Wednesday. Hope the seas are not as bad as predicted either for everybody! Thanks for all your updates - hope you feel better soon.

In fact, on one of the Gribraltar Facebook sites, they called the ship "Spirit of RECOVERY" - quite apt i think. hope everyone does recover too.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Camela » 08 Feb 2020 22:37

Always a shame when a port is cancelled, but of of course it's in the small print so they can do what they think is appropriate.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby khkate » 09 Feb 2020 10:59

Camela wrote:Always a shame when a port is cancelled, but of of course it's in the small print so they can do what they think is appropriate.

Not so much that Saga cancelled the port - more that Gibraltar denied letting them berth due to norovirus cases on board!
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Dec 2020, Dec 2021
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020, March 2021, June 2021, October 2021
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby rdw123 » 09 Feb 2020 20:24

There have been further cases of “gastrointestinal virus “ over night and today. We have just had an announcement, 9.15pm, that all cabin partners will also be quarantined as of now. They had been letting partners out. Poor medical staff are rushed off their feet. No sign of if abating, Captain not a happy bunny. I have been staying in my cabin or sitting outside on the open decks so as not to spread my cold around, mind you it’s free, i’m not charging for it. Just got my embarkation no. I am no 1. I think they want us gone quick to obviously do a deep clean.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby newmember » 10 Feb 2020 09:11

rdw123 wrote:There have been further cases of “gastrointestinal virus “ over night and today. We have just had an announcement, 9.15pm, that all cabin partners will also be quarantined as of now. They had been letting partners out. Poor medical staff are rushed off their feet. No sign of if abating, Captain not a happy bunny. I have been staying in my cabin or sitting outside on the open decks so as not to spread my cold around, mind you it’s free, i’m not charging for it. Just got my embarkation no. I am no 1. I think they want us gone quick to obviously do a deep clean.

Southampton departures board still show that SoD will be sailing on time for next cruise, so obviously not planning a deep clean.
Shame, as it seems that from your earlier posts there is also still a cough/chest infection going around, which makes me wonder if it was the same one that was felling so many people on the New York cruise.
The design of the self-service buffet does not help - to reach the back trays, you almost have to put your nose on the glass shield. Plus they have removed the hand sanitizers from the inside door handles on the public WC, there are not enough hand sanitizers at entrances to the public lounges (one entrance to the library is immediately by the public loos, and no sanitizers at all there). Our experience was that only one side of the main dining room was actually making sure people used the hand sanitizer - it was very hit and miss everywhere else.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

PreviousNext