Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Re: Spirit of Discovery Italian Premier

Postby rdw123 » 10 Feb 2020 11:48

I have also found sanitiazation is very lacking. I put this point in my first questioner. Joy of joys despite my best efforts I now have it. Slept all morning. Rang doctor at 9 they hope to get to me sometime today. Bed again tomorrow I think. Have another cruise booked for September but am now having second thoughts about cancelling it.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby judgegeoff » 10 Feb 2020 12:31

So sorry to hear that you are under the weather Ruth, best wishes for a swift recovery.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby newmember » 10 Feb 2020 13:28

Hope that you recover quickly - a miserable way to end your holiday.
Wonder what happens with those still suffering when they disembark - if using the included car service, does the car get sanitized out before picking up the next passengers?
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby judgegeoff » 10 Feb 2020 14:38

newmember wrote:Hope that you recover quickly - a miserable way to end your holiday.
Wonder what happens with those still suffering when they disembark - if using the included car service, does the car get sanitized out before picking up the next passengers?

A good point newmember. Are the same vehicles used to deliver disembarking passengers to their homes and then to pick up embarking passengers from the same area to bring them to the ship? I would assume so. If so they pose a definite risk.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 10 Feb 2020 15:01

newmember, that's a very good point about the shields over buffets and it's not just on ships.

In other news I've just seen it is my 7th Cruising Mates birthday (well yesterday) :D
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 10 Feb 2020 17:29

So sorry to hear about your situation and very disappointed to hear that standards of sanitisation have slipped. I did not feel this was the case when we were on the ship back in October. As well as hand sanitisers there are also hand washing sinks at the entrance to the verandah and waiters ensuring they were used. I am very surprised to hear that people sharing cabins with others who had norovirus were allowed to roam freely around the ship. Obviously the people concerned would not be happy to be quarantined but surely it is vital to try to limit the spread. I do hope a deep clean will happen in Southampton.
The point about the transport to and from the ship is a good one. It would be helpful to have some reassurance about this. Perhaps those who use this service would be wise to wear gloves or use sanitising wipes on the door handles!
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 10 Feb 2020 22:43

I know Lesley has posted on Facebook that they won't be departing Southampton until 10pm so that a deep clean can take place.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 11 Feb 2020 09:34

Sorry to read about the last few days of your cruise Ruth. Very unfortunate about the norovirus outbreak on such a new ship. It is necessary to 'deep clean' but I am not sure that a few extras hours before the next cruise leaves is enough time to actually do that.

We were on a ship that had an outbreak, only announced as we left Gibraltar, but pretty bad by the time we arrived in Southampton. After a so called 'deep clean' the next cruise went out and not surprisingly, to us anyway, within a short time a similar outbreak and a miserable time for those on board.

A very good comment re ongoing transport. After the cruise I've just mentioned were travelling back to Scotland on a cruise line chartered coach and there were several people aboard that were obviously still suffering symptoms. Not very nice for them and also rather worrying for everyone else.
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby newmember » 11 Feb 2020 09:59

According to the live planned arrivals and departures of Southampton Port as of 09:44 this morning (11th) SoD is expected to arrive at 08:50 on 12th (must be delayed by the weather) and still scheduled to sail at 18:00 same day.
Bearing in mind that on previous cruises many passengers were still disembarking at midday (even when the ship arrives on time) cannot see that it will be possible to carry out a true deep clean of anywhere, even the cabins.
Good luck to anybody booked on the next cruise.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Postby newmember » 11 Feb 2020 13:47

Update - Soton have changed the departure time to 22:30 on 12th (the arrival is 06:30 - I misread the time earlier).
Still dubious about how much of a deep clean can be done in a few extra hours, bearing in mind that the new passengers will have to be allowed on board some considerable time before sailing. Bit of a shame, as while there have certainly been outbreaks of norvirus or similar on Pearl and Sapphire, they previously managed to keep it well contained to isolated cases.
newmember
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

PreviousNext