Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - "MARELLA DREAM" 'ANCIENT AFFAIR' CRUISE - November/December 2019

"MARELLA DREAM" 'ANCIENT AFFAIR' CRUISE - November/December 2019

Re: "MARELLA DREAM" 'ANCIENT AFFAIR' CRUISE - November/December 2019

Postby Gillzajoker » 09 Dec 2019 12:02

judgegeoff wrote:
Camela wrote:An enjoyable read as always Geoff, you put a lot into your reviews, warts and all!!

Thank you Camela. Chris and I have been lucky enough to have travelled widely throughout the last 51 years - 3 weeks after our marriage we travelled to Zambia, central Africa, where we spent the next 6 years (two of our three children are Africans!). I have always written about each of our holidays - where we went, where we stayed, what we did etc., and am now on my third lever arch file of storage. So I would be writing my cruise reviews (or something very similar) even if I wasn't a member of this forum.

Our families (both Chris' and mine) have always been keen photographers and we had vast amounts of cine film and video, dating back to 1953. About 6 years ago I had all the old cine film transferred to DVD discs and then myself transferred all our video footage onto DVD discs. In all it amounted to over 80 hours of footage. That Christmas I gave each of our children an album containing 40 DVDs recording our family history in movies since 1953. So my granddaughter is able to see movie footage of her great great grandparents, something I would love to have been able to do.

Since we have had digital cameras I have kept the memory cards and store them in a W. H. Smith coin collecting album which is perfect for storing SD cards. However, I must get them transferred to a more secure medium as I am not sure if the cards are suitable for really long term storage (although they are still retaining all their information at present).

Before digital cameras I used to take a lot of photographs using colour slide film and we have cupboards full of these slides. Currently I am digitising them, although I am treating it as a long term project and return to it as and when I feel like it.

When my parents died my sister lived in their house for several years. About 10 years ago she was having a clear-out and gave me a box that contained all the air mail letters that I had written to my parents whilst we lived in Zambia (I had no idea that my parents had kept them!). International phone calls were very expensive in those days, so I used to write regularly to my family back home. I found it fascinating to read all my 40 year old letters, they revived many, many memories, so I have put them into an album.

So, as you will see, writing a review of my holidays is very easy for me, it is in my blood! :lol:

And we are soo pleased about that Geoff, as we are able to share them all with you! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Camela » 09 Dec 2019 13:40

Lovely family history records to pass down the generations!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Dec 2019 10:21

One thing I missed from my review of the "Marella Dream" cruise was that we really appreciated the way they commence their excursions. On most ships you have to assemble in the theatre or one of the lounges and then there is a rush to get down to the gangway when your tour is called - not brilliant when your mobility is not very good and you need to wait for the lifts. On Marella ships you either assemble on the dock at the tour time or make your own way to the coach - a much more adult procedure. It is little things like this that make us very likely that we will cruise with Marella again.
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Arizona » 15 Dec 2019 17:40

I agree that this method of organising excursions is so much better. Interestingly Saga have changed to this method on the new ship and it seemed to work perfectly. It goes to show that if people are given the responsibility to make sure they are in the right place at the right time at their own pace, then they do.
Arizona
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 28 Dec 2019 17:23

Geoff, As others have said, your reviews are always very comprehensive and informative. I enjoyed having the time to read this one today. Thank you so much for the time and effort you gave to share it with us.

Sorry to have taken so long to read and respond. Things have been rather hectic for me since you posted it so today I have managed to take time to appreciate it. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Previous