Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - "MV VOYAGER" 'MEDITERRANEAN REFLECTIONS' CRUISE - SEPT/OCT 2015

"MV VOYAGER" 'MEDITERRANEAN REFLECTIONS' CRUISE - SEPT/OCT 2015

Re: "MV VOYAGER" 'MEDITERRANEAN REFLECTIONS' CRUISE - SEPT/OCT 2015

Postby JollyJill » 24 Oct 2015 13:32

Fairsky1 wrote:Hi Jill,

Like I said, Voyager, as a ship would disappoint many cruisers. itinerary at a competitive price would be our only attraction!
VOD seem to have lost their way in where they fit into the market. Their forward prices, even on Saver Fares, are significantly higher than even six months ago! Why would anyone pay to cruise on Voyager if you can have, for a similar cost, a cruise with Azamara and others who have ships which are luxury in comparison?
The price hikes, in my opinion, will only serve to worsen their trading losses. I certainly won't be cruising with them any time soon at their current prices!

Regards

Frank

I couldn't agree more Frank. I took the trouble to speak to someone on a V of D stand at a cruise show earlier this year. I asked if they had any plans to add another ship to their fleet as we don't like Voyager and told them why.
Apparently they have no plans to that end so quite honestly, I can see that they might be in serious financial trouble before long.

The annoying thing is that they still bombard me with mailshots, despite several requests to be removed from their mailing list. :evil:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 24 Oct 2015 14:37

Fairsky1 wrote:Hi Jill,

Like I said, Voyager, as a ship would disappoint many cruisers. itinerary at a competitive price would be our only attraction!
VOD seem to have lost their way in where they fit into the market. Their forward prices, even on Saver Fares, are significantly higher than even six months ago! Why would anyone pay to cruise on Voyager if you can have, for a similar cost, a cruise with Azamara and others who have ships which are luxury in comparison?
The price hikes, in my opinion, will only serve to worsen their trading losses. I certainly won't be cruising with them any time soon at their current prices!

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank. I knew nothing about VoD's prices until I checked after reading your post.

As an experiment I found an extremely similar cruise to our last one - VoD's DALMATIAN, VENETIAN & GREEK WONDERS. It's 14 days (which I assume means 13 nights) so that's one day fewer than we had on Thomson Celebration. For what we paid for a large cabin with a large balcony on Celebration, we'd get a very small outside cabin on Voyager (about half as big as we had). I have to agree that VoD's prices do look unreasonably high!
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 24 Oct 2015 17:52

I always though that VoD was a luxury line :? with prices to mirror. I have to say I find Geoff's photos paint a completely different picture for me. The cabins look fine but the public areas look extremely uninviting, not areas one would sit an relax in day after day! To use a cliché, it has all the appearance of a ferry!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Oct 2015 18:34

tomvet wrote:I always though that VoD was a luxury line :? with prices to mirror. I have to say I find Geoff's photos paint a completely different picture for me. The cabins look fine but the public areas look extremely uninviting, not areas one would sit an relax in day after day! To use a cliché, it has all the appearance of a ferry!

I would never say that VoD was a luxury line and although their normal fares are perhaps a little high, we paid £699 each for a 13 night cruise, including scheduled BA flights to Istanbul and from Athens, transfers and gratuities. We considered this to be excellent value, but it was the itinerary that sold it to us, we had not visited any of the ports before. We had just two sea days during the whole cruise.

I found that the furniture, fittings and carpets were all in very good condition (certainly no worse than we have experienced on other Lines, including Celebrity and RCI) and the chairs were as comfortable as any other line. The decor was much more subtle than other Lines with none of the garish art and sculptures and we were quite happy with this. The mainly Filipino crew were the best we have experienced on over 20 cruises - we find this very important.

The lectures were also among the best we have ever experienced and the port talks told us about the town (and not just the whereabouts of the diamond/sapphire/opal and Rolex shops) as well as information on the excursions.

However, the tiny shower with its control handle pointing into the tiny space was very off-putting, as was the badly fitting and poorly designed and constructed toilet seat. The latter would be easy to put right, the former less so.

VoD is certainly not up with Regency Seven Seas or Oceana, but I would hardly compare it to a ferry.
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 24 Oct 2015 19:28

I would never say that VoD was a luxury line and although their normal fares are perhaps a little high, we paid £699 each for a 13 night cruise, including scheduled BA flights to Istanbul and from Athens, transfers and gratuities. We considered this to be excellent value, but it was the itinerary that sold it to us, we had not visited any of the ports before. We had just two sea days during the whole cruise.

Despite my personal opinions of the ship Geoff, I think you received great value for money on your cruise. :)

It was the itinerary that attracted us to booking Voyager. Somehow though, I can't see us sailing on her again. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 24 Oct 2015 20:47

judgegeoff wrote:VoD is certainly not up with Regency Seven Seas or Oceana, but I would hardly compare it to a ferry.

I know ferry is a cliché however, this photo that you posted

certainly does not inspire. The walls and windows were akin to MV Nomadic (Titanic's first class tender boat) than a 21st century cruise ship.

Certainly you got great value for your cruise and if I was offered similar, particularly with that itinerary I would take it too. However, that was the most exceptionally priced cruise that I have seen with VoD. There inflated prices had created higher expectations with me. Now I know lower them and wait for an offer like you received!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Fairsky1 » 25 Oct 2015 09:02

judgegeoff wrote:
tomvet wrote:I always though that VoD was a luxury line :? with prices to mirror. I have to say I find Geoff's photos paint a completely different picture for me. The cabins look fine but the public areas look extremely uninviting, not areas one would sit an relax in day after day! To use a cliché, it has all the appearance of a ferry!

I found that the furniture, fittings and carpets were all in very good condition (certainly no worse than we have experienced on other Lines, including Celebrity and RCI) and the chairs were as comfortable as any other line. The decor was much more subtle than other Lines with none of the garish art and sculptures and we were quite happy with this. The mainly Filipino crew were the best we have experienced on over 20 cruises - we find this very important.

The lectures were also among the best we have ever experienced and the port talks told us about the town (and not just the whereabouts of the diamond/sapphire/opal and Rolex shops) as well as information on the excursions.

However, the tiny shower with its control handle pointing into the tiny space was very off-putting, as was the badly fitting and poorly designed and constructed toilet seat. The latter would be easy to put right, the former less so.

VoD is certainly not up with Regency Seven Seas or Oceana, but I would hardly compare it to a ferry.

Well at that price Geoff your cruise was a steal!
I think the uncertainty in Greece ( possible default ) followed by Turkey ( security ) prompted VOD to slash the fares on that cruise.
The fact remains, having cruised with them three times in less than two years, their fares, ( even Savers ) are higher this winter than last year.
I was considering a 12 night cruise in November, ( outside cabin, sea view ) in the Caribbean/Central America.
The cost would be £100 PP more than a cruise in the Far East onboard Azamara Quest which is 13 nights, ( one night in hotel included)
Azamara IS luxury in comparison to VOD! Not only is Azamara cheaper and offer everything that VOD offer but drinks, shuttles and an evening excursion is included.
My cruises on Voyager were great, I have no complaints but Voyager was certainly not the attraction, she is the most basic ship I have ever cruised on in approx. 50 cruises going back to the 70's.
Would I cruise on her again? Yes! if the itinerary was tempting and the price was attractive or even competitive.
Currently this is NOT the case, I have written to VOD as a past customer to express these views.
Their curt response was that they consider themselves to be " unique ", small ship with interesting itineries/ speakers and tips included in their fare.
Time will tell but my guess is that if they continue to market their cruises at current prices Voyager will end up the modern day equivalent to the Mary Celeste!! ;)

Frank
Fairsky1
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Dave » 25 Oct 2015 10:24

Fairsky1 wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:I would never say that VoD was a luxury line and although their normal fares are perhaps a little high, we paid £699 each for a 13 night cruise, including scheduled BA flights to Istanbul and from Athens, transfers and gratuities. We considered this to be excellent value, but it was the itinerary that sold it to us, we had not visited any of the ports before. We had just two sea days during the whole cruise.

I think the uncertainty in Greece ( possible default ) followed by Turkey ( security ) prompted VOD to slash the fares on that cruise.
The fact remains, having cruised with them three times in less than two years, their fares, ( even Savers ) are higher this winter than last year.
I was considering a 12 night cruise in November, ( outside cabin, sea view ) in the Caribbean/Central America.
The cost would be £100 PP more than a cruise in the Far East onboard Azamara Quest which is 13 nights, ( one night in hotel included)
Azamara IS luxury in comparison to VOD! Not only is Azamara cheaper and offer everything that VOD offer but drinks, shuttles and an evening excursion is included.
My cruises on Voyager were great, I have no complaints but Voyager was certainly not the attraction, she is the most basic ship I have ever cruised on in approx. 50 cruises going back to the 70's.
Would I cruise on her again? Yes! if the itinerary was tempting and the price was attractive or even competitive.
Currently this is NOT the case, I have written to VOD as a past customer to express these views.
Their curt response was that they consider themselves to be " unique ", small ship with interesting itineries/ speakers and tips included in their fare.
Time will tell but my guess is that if they continue to market their cruises at current prices Voyager will end up the modern day equivalent to the Mary Celeste!! ;)

Frank

I've not cruised with Voyages of Discovery or with Azamara, but I'm interested in the notion of 'luxury' and I wonder how it's possible to state unequivocally that one line is more luxurious than another. I see luxury as subjective and not something that can be universally applied - especially when it comes to cruising!

I'd be happy to explain why I thought that our recent Thomson cruise was more luxurious than our previous cruise with Celebrity, or why I think the most luxurious cruises we've had so far have been with Fred Olsen and Costa... ;)
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 25 Oct 2015 11:03

I'd be happy to explain why I thought that our recent Thomson cruise was more luxurious than our previous cruise with Celebrity, or why I think the most luxurious cruises we've had so far have been with Fred Olsen and Costa... ;)

So as not to clog up Geoff's review, I think maybe we should open a new thread on how we all view 'luxury' when on a cruise.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fairsky1 » 25 Oct 2015 15:20

Dave wrote:
Fairsky1 wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:I would never say that VoD was a luxury line and although their normal fares are perhaps a little high, we paid £699 each for a 13 night cruise, including scheduled BA flights to Istanbul and from Athens, transfers and gratuities. We considered this to be excellent value, but it was the itinerary that sold it to us, we had not visited any of the ports before. We had just two sea days during the whole cruise.

Frank

I've not cruised with Voyages of Discovery or with Azamara, but I'm interested in the notion of 'luxury' and I wonder how it's possible to state unequivocally that one line is more luxurious than another. I see luxury as subjective and not something that can be universally applied - especially when it comes to cruising!

Hi Dave,

Remember that Geoff, Jill and I never stated that Voyager ( VOD) is marketed or sold as a luxury cruise.
Neither is Azamara, my reference to " luxury " is when comparing ships, Azamara ships in my view would be considered luxury in comparison to Voyager.
I say again, at the right price I would go back on Voyager, as a means of getting to a destination, not because of the ship.
I have NO complaints about what VOD offer if the price is sensible.
Geoff posted a superb review, very fair comments, I can identify with them. I always laugh when I read the shower comments, I'm 6 ft 6 ins tall so you can imagine, but having done jungle survival as a young man,hey?
Freezing cold in Scotts Lounge, we've all experienced it as have many others!
Warts and all as I have said I would still go back at the right price, I seek itineries, the ship and facilities are secondary to me. But if someone offers an interesting itinerary for the same price or LESS and has a better ship then that's a further bonus!
We spend all day away from the ship whilst in port so it's not our top priority, but one has to factor in sea days on cruises.

Regards

Frank
Fairsky1
Ensign
Ensign

PreviousNext