Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - OCEAN COUNTESS

OCEAN COUNTESS

OCEAN COUNTESS

Postby Janet » 29 Jun 2011 17:08

Embarkation very quick, luggage arrived in minutes, cabin slightly smaller than I have had before but hey ho, we were only sleeping and getting ready in it. Have read lots of complaints about the food but I did not have a problem with it, it was nicely presented, adequate portions, sure some days the soup was not piping hot but not freezing either. Entertainment was very good, shows were excellent and good duo in Hamptons. Bar prices on par with city centre pub prices, cocktails good value at £4.00,sank more than a few of them!! Ship spotless, always cleaning it. It is an older ship but has character. Now for the downside, no I have not really got any complaints about my time on board just some observations that could help anyone thinking of booking this particular cruise in the future. Two of the Islands were tendered. Faroe Island was supposed to be in Port but due to mix up was also a tender. There was a lot of people with mobility problems and my heart was in my mouth watching them getting on tender, crew were absolutely brilliant at helping practically carrying people on/off them. Faroe Islands very hilly. When, you arrive in Skye there is a steep ramp to climb, when you get to the end of it and turn corner you then have to go up what I called Cardiac Hill, practically impossible of you have mobility problems. I feel that the ship should give this information to people. Lots of folk booked excursions on Skye but I was informed that the local bus is free to all the sights. Ship for obvious reasons does not give this information out. The buffet area called the Boathouse is strangest buffet area I have ever seen. You go down a corridor with tables for 2 on one side. You then enter self service area which is on an open deck, fine if you are sitting in the Med but believe you me tad chilly when you are in the Outer Hebrides .We had a great time on this ship, its good value for money and boarding from Greenock was the icing on the cake. Wish more cruise companies would consider Scotland for a base.
Janet
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: OCEAN COUNTESS

Postby Dave » 29 Jun 2011 17:19

I'd not heard of Ocean Countess, so I googled her. I must say she's a good looking ship!

Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Janet » 29 Jun 2011 18:05

I go away every year with my friends.We have have been to lot of eastern European countries and have had some adventures.Female Michael Palin's lol.
Saw this 4 night cruise for £150 each and thought bargain, always wanted to go to North of Scotland but the long drive put us off. Port was only 20 mins away from Glasgow.

Might have been a different review if I had went with my oh...........

Janet
Janet
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 29 Jun 2011 19:53

Janet wrote:I go away every year with my friends.We have have been to lot of eastern European countries and have had some adventures.Female Michael Palin's lol.
Saw this 4 night cruise for £150 each and thought bargain, always wanted to go to North of Scotland but the long drive put us off. Port was only 20 mins away from Glasgow.

Might have been a different review if I had went with my oh...........

Janet

4 nights for £150, that's what I call a deal. :o

(I remember some one on CD misspelling the name of this ship once and when I pointed it out they got stroppy with me but it really didn't read very well and just wanted them to go back and edit their post. There was an O missing, I will leave you to work out where....... :? )
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby CGBOWLER » 29 Jun 2011 21:38

I put a review of this ship on the review topic yesterday. It was from last September so I think things will be better now.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Toongirl » 10 Oct 2011 20:51

My husband went on a trip to Iceland last year on this ship. (I couldn't go because I was at school) He didn't care much for the ship and didn't sleep well because of the vibration and noise from the engines. On the plus side, the weather was fantastic and the ports of call were great so he enjoyed that but I don't think he would go on the ship again.
Angela
Toongirl
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Fossil » 10 Oct 2011 23:22

Hoping to do a media visit to her in the next couple of months. I did a media visit to Marco Polo today so it would be interesting to compare the 2 ships as they are chartered by the same company.
Alan
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby Skier Pete » 10 Oct 2011 23:52

This the ship with the £36 per night cruise leaving on Thursday

Even cheaper than £150 for 4 nights

13 Oct 11 Mediterranean
13 nights Ocean Countess £469

Pete
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Fossil » 11 Oct 2011 05:32

Skier Pete wrote:This the ship with the £36 per night cruise leaving on Thursday

Even cheaper than £150 for 4 nights

13 Oct 11 Mediterranean
13 nights Ocean Countess £469

Pete

Great value for money. Just goes to show that if you are in a position to pack your bags and go, there are bargains to be had. The rumour is that next year will be even better!! :D :D
Fossil
Cruise Director
Cruise Director

Postby Jimmy the One » 02 Nov 2011 13:13

Was speaking to a couple at the wedding we were on Monday they did a cruise to Norway on this ship it was so bad they got off at Tromso and flew home
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland