Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MEIN SCHIFF - ALL INCLUSIVE

MEIN SCHIFF - ALL INCLUSIVE

MEIN SCHIFF - ALL INCLUSIVE

Postby Gemma » 18 Oct 2011 16:29

Well I'm sure everyone knows by now that I've just returned from a cruise on the Tui Mein Schiff cruise ship (W. Med.) It was formerly the Celebrity Galaxy and had a large scale refurbishment a couple of years ago.
We had been warned that it was a German Ship and everything would be in German. The only things in English were the Menu and Safety Regulations. The local Tour Operator had prepared a translation of the various notices found in the cabins. All the crew and most of the passengers spoke English but, of course, not speaking the lanaguage means you do miss out on some things . We were with friends so it didn't bother us too much. On the first day there was a Welcome Talk in German from the Captain and Senior officers. They held an other Talk in English for our group which I thought was very good of them. Not many Captains would have bothered.
There was a Maltese rep on each sailing who translated into English and distributed the daily News / Programme.
Entertainment wasn't bad and some was very good but we missed out on the introductions and presentors. They must have been good as there was often cheering, whistling at some remark or other and I would have loved to have been able to understand what was being said. The pianists in the bars were good.
We had previously only cruised on large modern ships and I was a bit worried before we boarded. However, the size didn't bother us. The ship wasn't as flashy or luxurious as the other ships we've been on . The Atrium was much smaller of course.
The food was excellent, and the food in the buffet was always hot. Storage in cabins was very good even though the cabins weren't particularly spacious. Everything was spotless (as usual) . Dress Code was casual - even at dinner.
Excursions with an English speaking guide were also included which we appreciated. Tips also - and service from all the crew, including Reception, was impressive. So those who say they won't pay the Auto Tipping because it lowers standards were proved wrong.
Same for the drinks. Waiters were constantly going round the bars and lounges taking orders. And when they came to collect the empty glasses/cups would ask if we wished another one. Same in the Restaurants. Glasses were constantly topped up. There was a very good choice of drinks to choose from. The cocktails were alcoholic and non-alcoholic. A container with assorted nuts was also automatically brought with the drinks.
Our previous cruise was with Costa so we had a bit of a culture shock = Germans and Italians/Spaniards have completely different cultures . There wasn't the animation and holiday atmosphere the Italian ships have (which many of our group preferred).
We all had a great time and have become enthusiastic after our AI experience.

This is the brochure - http://www.cruisesinternational.com.mt/tui/tui.pdf
Last edited by Gemma on 18 Oct 2011 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Re: MEIN SCHIFF - ALL INCLUSIVE

Postby grannyM » 18 Oct 2011 16:41

Thanks for that Gemma, always good to know what to expect with different cruise lines. A1 sounds like a good deal, glad you enjoyed it. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Stan Deasy » 18 Oct 2011 19:38

Hi Gemma,I actually think that overall it looks an interesting proposition,and thanks for the review. My German is a bit better than my Italian,but not enough to follow the entertainment I fear. I think that you do not have to be too hasty in comparing the Mein Schiff AI package with some others,as I think they offer a much higher quality/value package than many others. They do market it as ULTRA AI and that's what it appears to be.
When you consider the Netspresso m/c in your cabin,free insurance for folks under 70 y.old,free gratuities,free excursions,free BRANDED drinks..generously dispensed it really seems a good value package which starts around £900. Very interesting to me,although the itineraries would have to different...can't speak for May. Regards Stan.,
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby Gemma » 19 Oct 2011 05:04

Stan there is also Mein Schiff 2 and there are different itineraries in Winter. I think the excursions and insurance are only included in the tours booked through the Malta agent.
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Wansbrough » 19 Oct 2011 05:21

Gemma wrote:Stan there is also Mein Schiff 2 and there are different itineraries in Winter. I think the excursions and insurance are only included in the tours booked through the Malta agent.

Didn't I read somewhere that they had just ordered a new build too? :?:

Yes, here is their press information leaflet
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby avidcruiser » 28 Nov 2011 22:29

Seems as though you enjoyed a good cruise Gemma. Thanks for your report.

Always good to know what is on offer as an alternative.

I must admit to having seen the ship twice, only from the exterior, and once right underneath her bow,and she seemed very imposing!!
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales