Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Voyages of Discovery Nordic cruise July 2012

Voyages of Discovery Nordic cruise July 2012

Postby JollyJill » 05 Aug 2012 11:42

As I did a live blog from the ship, I do not want to repeat myself so I will keep this review brief.

This was our 3rd time on Discovery and I don't have a great deal to add to my observations in my last review.

The ship is very tired now but is going in for a major refit in November; I can only say that this is long overdue.
We did notice that the food was not up to much this time around and wondered if it was as a result of cut backs due to the recession and the fact that the ship was only 80% full.

The two ship's excursions we took were well organised and had good local guides, however as with most cruise lines, we did think that they were way overpriced.

The lectures quite frankly ranged from good to dire. There were 5 lecturers on board. David Bascott has been doing ports of call lectures on Discovery for years and we think he is good at what he does. Peter Mawby was the expert on Ornithology and delivered interesting lectures.
The other 3 who I will not name, did not measure up in my opinion. This was a great shame because the subject matter of some of these lectures showed great promise but as we all know, a lecture is only as good as it's lecturer.

The crew were as friendly and helpful as ever and couldn't do enough for us. The Captain was the most visible we have ever seen on any ship and chatted freely with passengers every day.

A big plus for me personally was the internet package, which allowed me keep in touch with the forum without it costing me a fortune. As I have said before, £14 for 12 hrs is probably the cheapest package you will get on any cruise ship- unless it's Viking of course which is free.

Will we cruise on Discovery again? Somehow I doubt it.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Voyages of Discovery Nordic cruise July 2012

Postby Mungo » 05 Aug 2012 13:41

Thanks Jill! :D

I'd like to try a smaller ship again and I think Discovery is one of the few ships to do around Britain cruises calling at some of the Scottish Isles. :D Prices do seem high though. :o
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JollyJill » 05 Aug 2012 14:11

Mungo wrote:Thanks Jill! :D

I'd like to try a smaller ship again and I think Discovery is one of the few ships to do around Britain cruises calling at some of the Scottish Isles. :D Prices do seem high though. :o

Yes Sue, too high we think. In my feedback to them I said as much and told them that with the competition out there at the monet, they need to take a close look at what they are offering for the money.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Mungo » 05 Aug 2012 14:20

JollyJill wrote:

Yes Sue, too high we think. In my feedback to them I said as much and told them that with the competition out there at the monet, they need to take a close look at what they are offering for the money.

Hopefully they'll listen to you Jill and prices will be more competitive! :)
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JollyJill » 05 Aug 2012 14:25

Mungo wrote:
JollyJill wrote:

Hopefully they'll listen to you Jill and prices will be more competitive! :)

I think they will struggle to fill other cruises if they don't. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 05 Aug 2012 15:27

Thanks Jill, we've been interested in Discovery since docking next to her a few years ago - mainly because she looks so good. Perhaps one day...

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk2.
Dave
Booked cruise: Marella Explorer - Caribbean, Christmas 2018
Booked walking holidays: Easter: Cotswolds; Summer: Kintyre & Islay
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 22 Feb 2013 17:49

JollyJill wrote:As I did a live blog from the ship, I do not want to repeat myself so I will keep this review brief.

This was our 3rd time on Discovery and I don't have a great deal to add to my observations in my last review.

The ship is very tired now but is going in for a major refit in November; I can only say that this is long overdue.
We did notice that the food was not up to much this time around and wondered if it was as a result of cut backs due to the recession and the fact that the ship was only 80% full.

The two ship's excursions we took were well organised and had good local guides, however as with most cruise lines, we did think that they were way overpriced.

The lectures quite frankly ranged from good to dire. There were 5 lecturers on board. David Bascott has been doing ports of call lectures on Discovery for years and we think he is good at what he does. Peter Mawby was the expert on Ornithology and delivered interesting lectures.
The other 3 who I will not name, did not measure up in my opinion. This was a great shame because the subject matter of some of these lectures showed great promise but as we all know, a lecture is only as good as it's lecturer.

The crew were as friendly and helpful as ever and couldn't do enough for us. The Captain was the most visible we have ever seen on any ship and chatted freely with passengers every day.

A big plus for me personally was the internet package, which allowed me keep in touch with the forum without it costing me a fortune. As I have said before, £14 for 12 hrs is probably the cheapest package you will get on any cruise ship- unless it's Viking of course which is free.

Have to agree with you on most of that! Just searching out your live blogs now. It is nice to be able to re-live some of the cruise!

The lecturers last time around weren't so great. I can't remember names (but I reckon they are the same as you haven't mentioned!!!) I didn't go to all the talks but understand one speaker, a few people did walk out and the audiences were fewer and fewer each talk he did :oops: can't be easy.

David Baskott is a very good port lecturer and his talks always packed.

I know it is a good while ago but what did you think to the Cruise Directors - they certainly came up in our comments... between them I found them so unapproachable and pretty useless! the assistant cruise director Jessica on the other hand was lovely!
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Faroe Islands

Postby JollyJill » 22 Feb 2013 17:58

Peka wrote:
JollyJill wrote:As I did a live blog from the ship, I do not want to repeat myself so I will keep this review brief.

Have to agree with you on most of that! Just searching out your live blogs now. It is nice to be able to re-live some of the cruise!

The lecturers last time around weren't so great. I can't remember names (but I reckon they are the same as you haven't mentioned!!!) I didn't go to all the talks but understand one speaker, a few people did walk out and the audiences were fewer and fewer each talk he did :oops: can't be easy.

David Baskott is a very good port lecturer and his talks always packed.

I know it is a good while ago but what did you think to the Cruise Directors - they certainly came up in our comments... between them I found them so unapproachable and pretty useless! the assistant cruise director Jessica on the other hand was lovely!

I have always enjoyed David Baskott's port talks. I wonder if he has transferred his services to mv Voyager. I totally agree with you regarding the cruise directors- they were pretty useless.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 22 Feb 2013 18:01

David is indeed on Voyager!
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic