Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Voyages of Discovery, Voyager cruise April 2013

Voyages of Discovery, Voyager cruise April 2013

Re: Voyages of Discovery, Voyager cruise April 2013

Postby Gemma » 02 May 2013 13:20

Is it possible that if certain defects in the layout were noted during the planning stage, the things that annoyed passengers could have been avoided.
Also should ships like Voyager be used as Trans Atlantics ?
Gemma
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JollyJill » 02 May 2013 14:25

Gemma wrote:Is it possible th. at if certain defects in the layout were noted during the planning stage, the things that annoyed passengers could have been avoided.

Absolutely Gemma. A fellow passenger remarked to me that whoever planned the layout of deck 5 should be shot - their words, not mine.
Similarly, the ship is not suitable for the trans Atlantic trip. We have done the crossing twice before; once on Discovery and once on Boudicca. Despite encountering rough weather on Boudicca, the ship coped much better than Voyager and so we were not tossed about nearly as much.
I read somewhere that Voyager was bought by Voyages of Discovery at auction. Would that mean that she hadn't been tried and tested prior to bidding for her I wonder? :?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 02 May 2013 14:54

I don't envy you Jill doing a T/A on a smaller ship like Voyager as we were certainly tossed about on The Independence when we crossed a couple of weeks ago and you can't get much bigger than that apart from The Allure and Oasis. Speaking of which we have booked a T/A on The Oasis next October when she returns to Ft. Lauderdale after her refit in Rotterdam.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 02 May 2013 15:07

tobysgranny wrote:I don't envy you Jill doing a T/A on a smaller ship like Voyager as we were certainly tossed about on The Independence when we crossed a couple of weeks ago and you can't get much bigger than that apart from The Allure and Oasis. Speaking of which we have booked a T/A on The Oasis next October when she returns to Ft. Lauderdale after her refit in Rotterdam.

Joan

I'm surprised that such a big ship as Independence gave you a rough ride Joan. We encountered very rough weather in the Baltic on Jewel of the Seas which is much smaller and although Plunky stugggled a bit with transporting cups of tea from the Windjammer to our cabin, he did manage not to spill any. :lol:
It was not only the motion of the Ocean that kept us awake but also the clanging noise. When on a Bridge tour, I asked the officer on duty at the time what was causing the noise and he said that it was waves hitting the ship- I'm not sure that is correct because the following night when the weather was just as bad, if not worse, we didn't hear the noise nearly as much.Another passenger suggested that it might have been something to do with the anchor but who knows? :?

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 02 May 2013 15:32

JollyJill wrote:
Gemma wrote:Is it possible th. at if certain defects in the layout were noted during the planning stage, the things that annoyed passengers could have been avoided.

Absolutely Gemma. A fellow passenger remarked to me that whoever planned the layout of deck 5 should be shot - their words, not mine.
Similarly, the ship is not suitable for the trans Atlantic trip. We have done the crossing twice before; once on Discovery and once on Boudicca. Despite encountering rough weather on Boudicca, the ship coped much better than Voyager and so we were not tossed about nearly as much.
I read somewhere that Voyager was bought by Voyages of Discovery at auction. Would that mean that she hadn't been tried and tested prior to bidding for her I wonder? :?

See I only spent a couple of hours there and was wondering how the public space would work thinking was the way we were shown around the only way to get through the areas...when there are talks etc going on (crazy!) also the way that the Darwin Lounge would be set out for talks etc, I see from your pictures. must say it looks most uncomfortable and those pillars :x I don't know how the design could be sorted easily, maybe they could have folding walls :lol: create a good room for talks but allowing it to be open for some things. I think they took the cheap option of prettying it all up and not the day to day practical side :roll:

If passengers really are cancelling future cruises it will be shame but these are probably loyal customers of many years if they see that lose maybe something will happen :roll:

The ship was acquired by VoD at the end of 2009 by auction and was on numerous charters until last year (though I think the final charter in Turkey had problems as she didn't move from Istanbul for months, until the Genoa / Portland refit)
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Faroe Islands

Postby JollyJill » 02 May 2013 15:47

Thanks for the info Peka. I guess we can only wait and see what happens.

For loyal V of D cruisers, it's a sad state of affairs though isn't it? :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 02 May 2013 17:22

Especially as they are chartering out the ship for the next two summers, don't they want their loyal customers? :| :?
Peka
8 trips ¦ 5 ships ¦ 53 ports
Booked: Adriatic
Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
Faroe Islands

Postby tobysgranny » 02 May 2013 18:00

Hi Jill,

Back some time ago we did a T/A on The Legend and hit a Force 10 gale outside Vigo. Our cabin was right at the front and every time we hit a wave there was a loud bang. It was quite scary. The bed dropped beneath me and I met it coming back up again.

About 2.1/2 years ago we were on The Indy going down through the Bay Of Biscay and the Captain reported waves in excess of 50'. There were some very ill people on that cruise and we had to miss out our first Port which was Maderia. Funnily enough we had the same Captain on this cruise, Captain Nemo.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 02 May 2013 18:08

tobysgranny wrote:Hi Jill,

Back some time ago we did a T/A on The Legend and hit a Force 10 gale outside Vigo. Our cabin was right at the front and every time we hit a wave there was a loud bang. It was quite scary. The bed dropped beneath me and I met it coming back up again.

About 2.1/2 years ago we were on The Indy going down through the Bay Of Biscay and the Captain reported waves in excess of 50'. There were some very ill people on that cruise and we had to miss out our first Port which was Maderia. Funnily enough we had the same Captain on this cruise, Captain Nemo.

Joan

That was exactly the experience we had- not pleasant. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 02 May 2013 20:08

Just got round to reading this properly Jill and you have basically confirmed why a small ship is not for me. On a bigger ship you have so many more places to go if one isn't working for you.
At least your next one won't be as bumpy. ;)
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext