Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Cruising..Chinese Style.

Cruising..Chinese Style.

Cruising..Chinese Style.

Postby Stan Deasy » 29 Jul 2013 21:01

2013 has been designated Marine Tourism Year in China, part of a 5 year plan to encourage cruising holidays. I've just been reading a review from a passenger(FT Shanghai correspondent) on board the first Chinese Cruiseship going from Hong Kong to Vietnam.carrying a full complement of Chinese passengers,under a Norwegian Captain.
Here are just a few extracts from the review.
The ship is the MS Henna, a 27yr.old ex Carnival Cruiselines ship,recently refurnished.
Last year 83 million Chinese travelled abroad,and for most people amongst the 1,000 plus passengers this 3/4 day trip was their first trip abroad.
Lots of the passengers were part of a 4 group family,ie. Married couple with their only child(China has a strict 1 child allowed/per couple policy) plus matriarch/patriarch.
First stop lunch,since this was a Chinese ship,I had my chopsticks at the ready,sharpened in anticipation of an orgy of delicious dishes.What we got instead,at our first meal, was white bread and luncheon meat, served on plastic plates and washed down with the Chinese version of Kool-aid. Even the most basic staple of Chinese life-hot water-hot water to make tea-was only dispensed lukewarm from a Nescafe machine.
Next came the safety drill...we could barely hear the demo due to passengers shouting excitedly into their mobile phones.
We decamped to the ship's 1980s sit down restaurant, where the Vietnamese head waiter told us that the Chinese were upgrading their drinking habits.At the next table,a middle aged couple tucked in with a magnum of LouisXIII Grande Champagne Cognac from Remy Martin (cost £2,750),although staff said that passengers usually go for"cheaper cognacs and whiskeys priced around£200 to £300 per bottle.
The food was less than stellar,being neither authentic Western or authentic Chinese.The high point of the trip was the Captain's dinner,complete with an appearance by the blond haired handsome Notwegian Captain in full uniform....the passengers went wild.
The passengers adhered to the same dress code that applies on the mainland....ie.The wealthy dress like peasants,and the peasants sometimes dress like landowners....nobody can tell who is rich and who is poor. Some turned up for the gala dinner in board shorts,some in ball gowns. Apparently the only rule enforced was "no slippers" :lol:
Some of the older passengers never got out of their pyjamas the whole trip.
There was nobody sitting at the bar,as the Chinese do not have a "Bar culture". They do love to shop and gamble.there are more chess and mahjong opportunities,and the sunbeds are little used, particularly by the ladies.

The Chinese mean business,and has already got 5 cruise terminals for ocean going ships,3 more under construction,and 6 more planned. The cruise industry has grown from nothing in 5 years to carrying 500,000 outbound passengers by 2011.
The price of the 4 day cruise was £285,and is meant to target the middle classes,but offers the bottom end on facilities.

Thanks to the FT Weekend Magazine.
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Re: Cruising..Chinese Style.

Postby JollyJill » 29 Jul 2013 21:18

Sounds great Stan but I'm not sure that I could cope with the luncheon meat though. :o

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Cruising..Chinese Style.

Postby tomvet » 29 Jul 2013 22:53

I think I will pass on this one!
April 18 - Phoenix Reisen M/S Asara - Cologne - Amsterdam - Ijsselmeer - Hoorn - Rotterdam - Gorinchem - Arnheim - Cologne
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Cruising..Chinese Style.

Postby grannyM » 30 Jul 2013 08:16

I'm not at all surprised by the figures quoted about the increase in people travelling, especially on cruises. On our last cruise there seemed to be very many more Chinese people aboard compared to a few years ago.:)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland