Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - mulled wine

mulled wine

mulled wine

Postby Meg50 » 27 Dec 2015 21:21

we were given a mulled wine kit for Christmas - posh mugs and a couple of sachets of 'gubbins' to make the noxious stuff - the recipe starting take one bottle of good red wine and a ridiculous amount of orange juice...

As you will have gathered, we don't like mulled wine.

the mugs are usable obviously, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to use up the sachets of 'gubbins' other than chuck them on the BBQ in the summer?
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

mulled wine

Postby Gertie » 27 Dec 2015 21:50

Depends a bit what is in your mulling spices. Cloves, cinnamon, and anise are common. Dried citrus peel and peppercorns are sometimes included. If it doesn't have the peppercorns, spiced hot apple cider or wassail is a possibility as it seems to include more or less the same spices depending which recipe you choose.

Just boiling it to give a holiday fragrance to the home seems possible if you'd like that sort of thing.

If the sachets contain whole spices, you could pull them out, sort out the proper amounts, and grind them for use in perhaps a mincemeat pie or other recipes.

The addition of cardamom, ginger, vanilla, milk, and tea would make for a nice cup of chi.

I hear some people say they like to put mulling spices into lemonade and serve it hot when the weather is cold as proof against colds, but I've never thought it sounded good enough to wish to taste it. I don't like lemon in my tea much, either, though, so something to consider.

My grandmother used to make a chocolate spice cookie with mulling spices. They're pretty tasty and just consist of a dark chocolate cookie recipe with the ground spices added. I see several examples of such a recipe with a quick google of spiced chocolate cookies, some of which even contain the peppercorns.

Hope perhaps I have at least given you some ideas. :)
Gertie
Ensign
Ensign

Re: mulled wine

Postby jocap » 27 Dec 2015 21:52

Gertie, that's absolutely brilliant!
I'm afraid that the mulled wine we use for the carol service comes ready made...by Mr Tesco...
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

mulled wine

Postby Mungo » 27 Dec 2015 22:59

Ooh! Have to have mulled wine at least once over the festive season! :D

I have used the little bags to make festive pot pourri before.
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Britannia March 2021
Columbus May 2021
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

mulled wine

Postby JollyJill » 27 Dec 2015 23:08

I've got a good idea Meg. :)

Just invite those of us who DO like mulled wine round and we will drink it for you- I will supply the bottle of red. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Hannah » 28 Dec 2015 00:26

All the above sound good to me!

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Peka » 28 Dec 2015 10:15

:sick: Bleurghhh!!!!! re gift or down the sink :oops: :lol: The smell of mulled wine around Christmas at fairs etc is horrible, makes me feel queasy, even the thought of red wine (disgusting anyway :lol: ) but then heated up, yes I am not a fan :lol:

My mum got given a bottle of mulled wine... she hates the stuff - hardly drinks red wine and absolutely hates cinnamon...and cloves, star anise, nutmeg etc all the kinds of spices you find included!!! I think it is still lurking about somewhere about three years later :?

I guess the sachets could be used to make mincemeat or something.
Peka

Peka
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Meg50 » 28 Dec 2015 14:04

Peka wrote::sick: Bleurghhh!!!!! re gift or down the sink :oops: :lol: The smell of mulled wine around Christmas at fairs etc is horrible, makes me feel queasy, even the thought of red wine (disgusting anyway :lol: ) but then heated up, yes I am not a fan :lol:

My mum got given a bottle of mulled wine... she hates the stuff - hardly drinks red wine and absolutely hates cinnamon...and cloves, star anise, nutmeg etc all the kinds of spices you find included!!! I think it is still lurking about somewhere about three years later :?

I guess the sachets could be used to make mincemeat or something.

if it had been a bottle of mulled wine we'd have put it on our raffle pile!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

mulled wine

Postby octocruiser » 28 Dec 2015 15:00

I'm quite partial to mulled wine although I am not a conniosseur drinker by any stretch of the imagination.

You have just reminded me that last year we had some of this

http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=7474

I meant to seek some out this year and completely forgot. Perhaps it's not too late to try to get some for New Year, although it is quite elusive.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Return to Food & Drink