Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - roasting bags

roasting bags

roasting bags

Postby Meg50 » 27 Dec 2015 21:25

when we buy roasting birds from a shop (eg M&S) rather than the butcher, they come in 'ready to roast' bags. They seem to work well, so we decided to try our regular roasts therein.

Last Sunday we did a beef that way and it was ok, but today we tried a pork, and it was not good - it was cooked ok, but no crackling and a bit flabby.

Before we give up on the bags for pork, can anyone explain the best way to use them? All the packet says is chuck in a tsp of flour with the meat, not why or what to do after.

The cooking instructions are for a lower temp then we'd normally use too
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

roasting bags

Postby Gertie » 27 Dec 2015 21:34

I'll be honest here and say I have only limited experience with roasting bags, so please bear this in mind.

The entire purpose of a roasting bag is to keep the meat moist. Originally one only ever saw them advertised for turkey, and then there were smaller ones advertised for chicken. This is because of how often people end up with dry poultry breasts when roasting whole birds.

As far as roasting pork goes, most pork is fattier than turkey breast by quite a bit and won't dry out like it when roasting. I say most because sometimes they sell these little pork loin portions with little fat and some of the boneless pork chops are also just cut pieces of loin. It is possible one of the whole loins would benefit from a roasting bag (this is just speculation on my part), but one has to be aware in order to get any sort of browning and cracklins going on you're going to have to make an effort. I would think it would be possible to run it under the broiler for a short time just before cooking is complete to brown it up and get those cracklins to a tasty condition. You would want to open the bag and carefully tuck it under the roast, or even completely remove it before doing this.
Gertie
Ensign
Ensign

roasting bags

Postby avidcruiser » 27 Dec 2015 22:31

I HAVE to have good crackling Meg and the only way is..........good scoring of the skin by your butcher and then make sure the skin is perfectly dry, rub the skin with salt and open roast in a gas oven. Forget the bag!
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

roasting bags

Postby grannyM » 28 Dec 2015 13:59

I do like them for chicken but not for meat. The chicken skin does go brown. What I also like about roasting bags is that the oven stays relatively clean. ;)

We have recently bought a slow cooker which does meat beautifully but again you not not get crackling Meg. It is not something I'm fond of so it doesn't bother me to do pork the same way we do ham, beef or lamb. We particularly like the stews done overnight in the slow cooker. Just throw everything in and you don't even need to stir. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: roasting bags

Postby Meg50 » 28 Dec 2015 14:34

I'm not too bothered about crackling, but OH (and his dentist...) love it!

I have a slow cooker which is mainly used for curry(!), but OH bought me a slow cooker cookery book for Christmas
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: roasting bags

Postby grannyM » 28 Dec 2015 16:03

Meg50 wrote:I'm not too bothered about crackling, but OH (and his dentist...) love it!

I have a slow cooker which is mainly used for curry(!), but OH bought me a slow cooker cookery book for Christmas

Yes, forgot to say T makes curry in ours. In fact to be honest he uses it more than I do. :oops:
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Return to Food & Drink