Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - I Don't Enjoy Planning Meals

I Don't Enjoy Planning Meals

Postby tomvet » 03 Jul 2016 11:00

adogap wrote:Geoff your shopping routine is going back to the days prior to home refrigeration and I do think there is less waste with this method. Also you do not have to take ‘use before’ dates into consideration when planning a meal.

Chris

There are a number of points here (1) Geoff or Chris can shop when they wish whereas when one of us gets a chance to leave the house to shop, its better to get as much as we can, we would never get an opportunity on a daily basis. I think it is generational thing that does a complete circle, as elderly people get less mobile and either depends on someone to shop for them or take them to the shops, forward planning comes into play again as shopping reverts back to weekly shopping again and (2) daily shopping is more expensive as you pick up the things you don't really want unless you are incredibly disciplined.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby adogap » 03 Jul 2016 12:44

I agree Tom, Geoff and I have entirely different food shopping priorities than that of a busy family. I rarely visit supermarkets but once a month get a home delivery from Sainsbury’s or Asda and consider myself very fortunate that within a few minutes walk there are several butchers, bakeries and an excellent fishmonger.
I was recently told of someone who had called into Lidl for 2 scones and a pint of milk but exited with a sandwich maker, set of screwdrivers and clothes airer!

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 03 Jul 2016 13:45

adogap wrote:I was recently told of someone who had called into Lidl for 2 scones and a pint of milk but exited with a sandwich maker, set of screwdrivers and clothes airer!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and they probably wouldn't consider themselves an impulse buyer .......... :roll:
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tobysgranny » 03 Jul 2016 17:48

octocruiser wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:I'm terrible about meal planning. It's usually me saying to Richard in the morning what does he want for dinner and he says whatever you Like! If I had my way I would eat out or have a takeaway every night. I think I've just said I don't enjoy cooking anymore. It just seems to have crept up on me. The thought of cooking a Sunday roast for the family now fills me with horror and I never used to be like that.

Joan

Yes, Joan It has gradually overtaken me as well.

Considering cooking for numbers was my way if life for many years when I had to have everything organised and planned and also be ready to cater for emergencies I have slidden right off the scale.

E no longer has a sense of taste and smell which means he has no appetite and I am constantly needing to watch my weight and both of us have restrictions on the type of food we can eat. Meals are no longer an adventure and tempting recipes are to be avoided - not that anything tempts E any more :(

Kath you would be so proud of me. Having said Sunday roast was my worst nightmare, I have just cooked the most delicious Sunday Roast. I popped to Sainsburys and bought a lovely piece of Silverside and when cooked it cut like butter. I blitzed the kitchen this morning and prepared all the vegetables and it all went like a dream. The family have now gone home and I have just loaded the dishwasher and have finally sat down. Bliss! Think I will have to open another bottle of wine!

From time to time I have family - perhaps do a meal for 6 or so, and then I have to fall back on old favourites, fortunately they are family favourites so go down well, but my repertoire is greatly diminished now and each time it becomes more of a chore.

From time to time we used to have holidays where we would meet up with family in a big self catering farmhouse and each would undertake to cater for one night, either taking previously prepared meals or I would be in charge of co-ordinating a massive online order to be delivered on day of arrival with the required ingredients.

Doing it this way meant more time to explore and minimal time spent shopping at the venue, but it did sometimes mean that we did not get to buy local produce which often looked tempting.
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 03 Jul 2016 17:50

I don't know what I have done Kath but my post seems to be mixed up in the middle of yours. Typical of me at the moment, can't get anything right.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 04 Jul 2016 09:19

Joan, I don't have the MODs power to fix this properly but have Cut&Paste to tidy it up for you now. Hope that's ok with you. :)
tobysgranny wrote:
octocruiser wrote:
tobysgranny wrote:I'm terrible about meal planning. It's usually me saying to Richard in the morning what does he want for dinner and he says whatever you Like! If I had my way I would eat out or have a takeaway every night. I think I've just said I don't enjoy cooking anymore. It just seems to have crept up on me. The thought of cooking a Sunday roast for the family now fills me with horror and I never used to be like that.

Joan

Yes, Joan It has gradually overtaken me as well.

Considering cooking for numbers was my way if life for many years when I had to have everything organised and planned and also be ready to cater for emergencies I have slidden right off the scale.

E no longer has a sense of taste and smell which means he has no appetite and I am constantly needing to watch my weight and both of us have restrictions on the type of food we can eat. Meals are no longer an adventure and tempting recipes are to be avoided - not that anything tempts E any more :(

From time to time I have family - perhaps do a meal for 6 or so, and then I have to fall back on old favourites, fortunately they are family favourites so go down well, but my repertoire is greatly diminished now and each time it becomes more of a chore.

From time to time we used to have holidays where we would meet up with family in a big self catering farmhouse and each would undertake to cater for one night, either taking previously prepared meals or I would be in charge of co-ordinating a massive online order to be delivered on day of arrival with the required ingredients.

Doing it this way meant more time to explore and minimal time spent shopping at the venue, but it did sometimes mean that we did not get to buy local produce which often looked tempting.

Kath you would be so proud of me. Having said Sunday roast was my worst nightmare, I have just cooked the most delicious Sunday Roast. I popped to Sainsburys and bought a lovely piece of Silverside and when cooked it cut like butter. I blitzed the kitchen this morning and prepared all the vegetables and it all went like a dream. The family have now gone home and I have just loaded the dishwasher and have finally sat down. Bliss! Think I will have to open another bottle of wine!
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby JollyJill » 04 Jul 2016 09:33

Joan, I don't have the MODs power to fix this properly but have Cut&Paste to tidy it up for you now. Hope that's ok with you. :)

Thanks Marie. I confess that I missed that one. :oops:

My excuse is that I was busy either watching Wimbledon or the football. ;)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 04 Jul 2016 09:55

JollyJill wrote:

Thanks Marie. I confess that I missed that one. :oops:

My excuse is that I was busy either watching Wimbledon or the football. ;)

Yes, Jill it's a hard job keeping up with the tennis and football on at the same time. :D

No problem although not as neat as a 'real' MODs fix. ;)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Jul 2016 18:30

Thanks Marie and Jill.

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 04 Jul 2016 22:02

tobysgranny wrote:Thanks Marie and Jill.

Joan

Well done - both of you ! :D

I would need a full weeks notice to do a full roast now . :shock: i would have to do lists and critical path analysis to have any chance of getting it all on the table at tne same time :D

I need to do tnat anyway even though If we have people round to eat now I fall back on good old tried and tested favourite tasty dishes that can be prepared ahead. Of course, having a small kitchen now doesn't help.

My main shopping now is done online and I have just realised that I can get 'free' delivery from Tesco - as long as my order is £40 or more. I can even get the expensive £6.50 slots :thumbup:

I have so far been taking my deliveries according to when the cheapest delivery is available and spending no more than £1' £2 or £3 on delivery unless it was urgent. In fact when you consider time, petrol and energy spent on going to the shops that is good value.

I had noticed that there is a package option but not really studied it until the other day when there were no cheap slots in my timeframe.

The package allows you pay in advance for 6 or 12 months and get as many as you like as long as they are for minimum £40 .

Then I noticed that you can use Tesco vouchers and double up so for £30 worth of vouchers I have a whole year plus a month's free trial using any vacant slot at any price . So effectively free as the vouchers might have otherwise gone unused.

I have a delivery every 7 -10 days and apart from that I only do minimal shopping when in town because it has to be carried home. I only occasionally visit supermarkets now but generally manage pretty well to keep up supplies. My lovely neighbour goes into town every day and offers to shop for us but I do not wish to abuse his generosity too much because he does not have a car and uses the buses or goes on foot.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink