Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - I'm changing my Christmas Fayre

I'm changing my Christmas Fayre

Postby Camela » 19 Nov 2017 19:12

After Christmas last year I decided I would change my food approach for this year. For many years I have had one list repeated year after year so all I do is cross each item off. So for 2017 - gone is the turkey, replaced with a large free range chicken purely for the cold sandwiches on Christmas night and Boxing Day and a curry!! We've been having beef for a few years so will get a larger joint and a piece of gammon. No large packs of smoked salmon, will freeze a couple of 100g packs. Definitely reduce the amount of cheese, nice piece of Stilton (not the waste of money jars) decent Cheddar and one other. 1 Panettone - I usually buy 3!! No premade dips I have several recipes for homemade ones which only need crème fraiche as a base.

I am a self-confessed Bah Humbug but I think a change to routine will be a good thing without compromising the end result. :lol:
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Borneo » 19 Nov 2017 19:24

That's why I like to go on holiday for Christmas. Unfortunately we are staying at home this year, Think I've forgotten how to do it.
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: I'm changing my Christmas Fayre

Postby Camela » 19 Nov 2017 20:42

We'd go away too but have disabled dog, son with confused love life with lady friends and other son with wife (she's absolutely lovely) who is an only, so has to see her parents. AAGGHH!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Borneo » 19 Nov 2017 20:57

Camela wrote:We'd go away too but have disabled dog, son with confused love life with lady friends and other son with wife (she's absolutely lovely) who is an only, so has to see her parents. AAGGHH!

Similar reasons why we go away ' plus grandchildren are now in their 20s
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 19 Nov 2017 22:11

Hope you cope with being at home Borneo!!
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby grannyM » 20 Nov 2017 12:09

After many, many years catering for our rather large family, including at times, elderly parents, girl & boyfriends, and grandchildren, I have for the past 6 years officially retired from that duty .

My two girls and a super son-in-law do Christmas dinner alternate years and I only have to draw up my chair and enjoy. I'm not even allowed to clear the table.

It is wonderful and the best Christmas present I've ever had. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Camela » 30 Dec 2017 19:25

It worked very well and very little waste. bubble and squeak on Boxing Day and the 27th Geoff!! Big thumbs up for Sainsbury's TTD on the bone Rib of Beef...£55 for 2.5kg but worth every penny. For any cheese fans I bought a piece of Tesco Finest mature Stilton and it was fantastic. Was there again yesterday and they had gift box, 20cl Port and jar of the same Stilton for £2.40!! Bought one.
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 30 Dec 2017 19:56

It was our first 'home alone' at Christmas for as long as I can remember, just Chris and myself, so was rather different than other years. Our youngest daughter and her new husband wanted to spend their first Christmas together, we had been invited to join our eldest daughter and her family but they are 337 miles away and the weather forecast was not good and our son was working (he should have been off but had swapped rosters with a colleague who had a close relative that was very ill. He spent Christmas day whizzing round South London visiting patients). It felt very strange not having a house full!

For Christmas lunch we had a turkey crown, pigs in blankets (12 would you believe!), roast potatoes, roast parsnips, 2 types of home made stuffing balls, sprouts and gravy, followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter made by myself (hic). We usually have a buffet in the evening, but I was so full that I only managed a piece of Christmas cake and a chocolate biscuit.

For Boxing day lunch we had the traditional bubble and squeak made with the left over vegetables, including the sprouts and stuffing balls, which is my favourite Christmas meal. There was so much of it that we have frozen it and I will enjoy it over the next few days.

Our youngest daughter and her husband visited us on Wednesday and we had some nice 28 day hung topside of beef with all the trimmings and this was finished off the following day in sandwiches.

It has been a very flavoursome Christmas for us! :)

I was however very disappointed with the Christmas TV programmes - I preferred the normal everyday programmes. :(
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 30 Dec 2017 21:41

We had a stuffed turkey butterfly, honey glazed ham, carrots and parsnips, cheesy brocolli, mash and gravy followed by bread and butter pudding for dessert. We had a 4kg ham but I cut it in two and froze on half for another occasion.

Problem is on St Stephen's Day we were at my Moms and next two days we were at OH's Mom so there has been little opportunity to eat the leftover Turkey until - we had paninis with Turkey, Brie and Cranberrry - Delizsiosa.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby divingbrit » 31 Dec 2017 10:30

Due to certain reasons, had a roast dinner on Xmas Eve, steak for Xmas day, and we will be having a Turkey on New years day.
as for Tesco Finest mature Stilton, will agree, its good.

Its good to have a change
Scuba diving is not a Sport its an Art
divingbrit
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom