Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Nigella's brownie recipe

Nigella's brownie recipe

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2014 10:12

A friend at work makes the most delish Choc Brownies using Nigella's recipe. She photocopied the recipe for me and I have made it several times.

I consider myself an ok cook but every time I attempt to make these I end up with a gooey mess. I made these again yesterday and once again I've ended up with a delicious, gooey mess and certainly not appetizing to look at.

I've tried cooking them for longer, adjusting the oven temperature but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas, people?
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby grannyM » 16 Feb 2014 11:28

bobbyoscar wrote:A friend at work makes the most delish Choc Brownies using Nigella's recipe. She photocopied the recipe for me and I have made it several times.

I consider myself an ok cook but every time I attempt to make these I end up with a gooey mess. I made these again yesterday and once again I've ended up with a delicious, gooey mess and certainly not appetizing to look at.

I've tried cooking them for longer, adjusting the oven temperature but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas, people?


Glynis, just lick the gooey mess off your fingers like Nigella does. I'm sure it is delicious. :lol:

Seriously though, it does sound like there's something not right. Was the recipe photocopied from a book or was it perhaps copied down wrongly by hand?
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17645
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby grannyM » 16 Feb 2014 11:36

Glynis if this is the recipe, this is how she describes it so perhaps you're not doing anything wrong at all:

Nigella's flourless chocolate brownies

However much people have eaten, there is always, I've noticed, room for a brownie. This is a different kind of a brownie, most definitely for party-pudding, melting, fudgy and damply rich. I compound these qualities by serving it with ice cream and the hot chocolate sauce, but there is no need. Need is not really what we're talking about here, though, is it?

Recipe posted by Nigella
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17645
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby Barry » 16 Feb 2014 11:58

My OH does a lot of baking ....... I didn't get in this shape on Museli and fresh air :oops:

her brownie recipe.....

10 oz margarine
13 oz sugar
4 eggs
3oz cocoa powder
4 oz plain chic chips
4oz SR flour

grease and line 12" x 9" x 2" baking tray

All ingredients into large bowl and mix with mixer

Spoon mixture into tin and level the top

bake @180 c or gas mark 4 for 40 to 45 mins

If browning too much cover with foil for last 10 mins

Try and allow to cool in the tin and cut into 24 pieces. 8-)
User avatar
Barry
Commodore
Commodore
 
Posts: 1343
Joined: 06 May 2013 17:31

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2014 11:59

Marie, thank you for trying to help, It's not that recipe but one from the 'Kitchen Goddess Book' but they're exactly like your red hi-lighted words.

At the moment I'm looking at 2 plates of chocolate goo. I think I'm going to scrape the goo off the plates into a container and freeze before cutting up into portions.

At least that way, they will look presentable rather than the disaster area at the moment.

I shall have to speak to my colleague to see what she's doing that different to me.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby grannyM » 16 Feb 2014 12:02

bobbyoscar wrote:Marie, thank you for trying to help, It's not that recipe but one from the 'Kitchen Goddess Book' but they're exactly like your red hi-lighted words.

At the moment I'm looking at 2 plates of chocolate goo. I think I'm going to scrape the goo off the plates into a container and freeze before cutting up into portions.

At least that way, they will look presentable rather than the disaster area at the moment.

I shall have to speak to my colleague to see what she's doing that different to me.


I'd say it's probably a good idea to freeze them and then eat them quickly after defrosting. (Good excuse anyway ;) )
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17645
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2014 12:18

In the freezer, as I type. (I just had to sample a spoonful, as one does, to make sure they are ok :lol: )
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby grannyM » 16 Feb 2014 13:21

bobbyoscar wrote:In the freezer, as I type. (I just had to sample a spoonful, as one does, to make sure they are ok :lol: )


It's a sacrifice but of course you do. For the 'Health & Safety' of others after all. :lol:
Marie
Image
User avatar
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 17645
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 11:22
Location: Ayrshire
National Flag:
Scotland

Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby bobbyoscar » 16 Feb 2014 13:52

grannyM wrote:
bobbyoscar wrote:In the freezer, as I type. (I just had to sample a spoonful, as one does, to make sure they are ok :lol: )


It's a sacrifice but of course you do. For the 'Health & Safety' of others after all. :lol:


:D :D :lol:
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger CANX
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Vigo CANX
May 2021 Celebrity Silhouette - ST. PETER PORT - CORK (COBH) - WATERFORD(DUNMORE E) - DUBLIN - GLASGOW (GREENOCK) - AKUREYRI - REYKJAVIK - BELFAST
Aug 2021 Celebrity Silhouette GIBRALTAR – CARTAGENA – BARCELONA – VALENCIA – CADIZ - LISBON
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 4857
Joined: 01 Jun 2011 19:16
Location: Bedford
National Flag:
England

Re: Nigella's brownie recipe

Postby jsb » 16 Feb 2014 15:00

I would eat them gooey mess or not. :oops:

Greedy, who me. :lol:
Don't worry be happy.
User avatar
jsb
Commodore
Commodore
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: 28 Feb 2011 15:27
Location: Derbyshire
National Flag:
England

Next

Return to Food & Drink



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron