Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Free food.....Look away now Dave!!

Free food.....Look away now Dave!!

Postby Stan Deasy » 01 Oct 2014 10:14

There are varied attitudes to food waste. There are people who "Skip scavenge" for out of date discarded food in supermarket skips,right through to people who make tasty meals from "Roadkill". The wet spring/summer weather has meant that fruit is plentiful in the wild this year,and my second freezer is half filled with wild blackberries.
Bearing in mind that we will be spending a lot of time in France next week,I dug out an old recipe that May inherited from her mother's papers(her mother was a professional cook,in the days when the directors of Sheffield's big steel companies had there own private dining rooms).
The wet summer has also meant an abundance of snails and slugs,so I thought that I share this tasty sounding recipe for snails:
Collect the snails and put them in an airy but secure container with some chopped carrots and herbs such as parsley,which help flavour the meat. Let them feast on the stuff provided for at least 3 days and then put them in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes. Remove the snails and cut off the black parts. put them back in the pan and cook them until they are tender...this could take about a couple of hours. Serve them by presenting them in their shells,topped with garlic and parsley butter and finish them under the grill for a couple of minutes....ENJOY :roll:
If you enjoy this dish maybe you would like to PM me for May's mothers recipe for Slug casserole. 8-)
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby adogap » 01 Oct 2014 10:33

Thanks Stan but if you don’t mind I’ll pass on that one. Anyone who does take up your kind offer is more than welcome to forage for slugs in my garden though!

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 01 Oct 2014 10:45

Stan Deasy wrote:There are varied attitudes to food waste. There are people who "Skip scavenge" for out of date discarded food in supermarket skips,right through to people who make tasty meals from "Roadkill". The wet spring/summer weather has meant that fruit is plentiful in the wild this year,and my second freezer is half filled with wild blackberries.
Bearing in mind that we will be spending a lot of time in France next week,I dug out an old recipe that May inherited from her mother's papers(her mother was a professional cook,in the days when the directors of Sheffield's big steel companies had there own private dining rooms).
The wet summer has also meant an abundance of snails and slugs,so I thought that I share this tasty sounding recipe for snails:
Collect the snails and put them in an airy but secure container with some chopped carrots and herbs such as parsley,which help flavour the meat. Let them feast on the stuff provided for at least 3 days and then put them in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes. Remove the snails and cut off the black parts. put them back in the pan and cook them until they are tender...this could take about a couple of hours. Serve them by presenting them in their shells,topped with garlic and parsley butter and finish them under the grill for a couple of minutes....ENJOY :roll:
If you enjoy this dish maybe you would like to PM me for May's mothers recipe for Slug casserole. 8-)

I must say that I love to eat snails, although it very much depends on how they are cooked.

The first time I ate them was about 40 years ago at the London Hilton (I wasn't paying ;) ). They were served in a ceramic dish on a sort of burner. They were smothered in garlic butter and were delicious. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Stan Deasy » 01 Oct 2014 10:51

Sounds like a challenge to Plunky's culinarary skills Jill...I know that he loves making soups from "Late market day vegetable bargains".What about Snail and Swede Soup??? :lol:
Stan Deasy
Ship's Chaplain
Ship's Chaplain

Postby judgegeoff » 01 Oct 2014 10:54

I have never known such a year for slugs as this year, we have been absolutely inundated with them. Horrible slimy things that leave disgusting trails on my house walls. Do they really think that they will find rotting vegetation on the top of my house?

Slug casserole might be the way to go. I have eaten many odd things including crocodile, alligator, snails, ostrich, all types of venison, mopane worms, ants and even elephant (but not a whole one!), so why not? :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby CGBOWLER » 01 Oct 2014 11:35

No thank you!
A friend we have cruised with several times always chooses snails when they are on the menu but I cannot bring myself to try one.

There is no way I could put a live creature of any description into a pan of boiling water either.
Irene
CGBOWLER
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 01 Oct 2014 11:38

Stan Deasy wrote:Sounds like a challenge to Plunky's culinarary skills Jill...I know that he loves making soups from "Late market day vegetable bargains".What about Snail and Swede Soup??? :lol:

Plunky will only cook he will eat Stan and there is no way that he would eat snails. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 11 Oct 2014 14:56

JollyJill wrote:
Stan Deasy wrote:Sounds like a challenge to Plunky's culinarary skills Jill...I know that he loves making soups from "Late market day vegetable bargains".What about Snail and Swede Soup??? :lol:

Plunky will only cook he will eat Stan and there is no way that he would eat snails. :(

Herewith the power of punctuation, Jill. "Plunky will only cook. He will eat Stan. And there is no way
he would eat snails" :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Free food.....Look away now Dave!!

Postby jocap » 12 Oct 2014 15:15

But many of us will eat cockles, winkles, whelks- especially in seafood restaurants abroad. I'm not sure what the difference is? The snails are carefully-er- emptied before their grim fate, and after being boiled will be as germ free as a winkle....though I think much of the flavour is in the dressing!
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom