Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Damson gin

Damson gin

Damson gin

Postby Barry » 08 Oct 2014 09:05

Just spent an hour making this years batch of damson gin :thumbup:

We're quite lucky that in our village we have a lot of friendly neighbours who are quite happy to let us help ourselves to any fruit we want, the hedgerows have also been exceptionally full this year with an abundance of sloes, blackberries and many other fruits :idea: We had 25lbs of damsons altogether (trees hardly looked as though they'd been touched) half went into the freezer the rest turned into chutney and jam, but finally got round to making the gin this morning :D

Couldn't be easier to be honest, just have to shake the jars each day for about a week to get the sugar dissolved, then wait :!: somewhere about the 6 month mark will decant into bottles and leave until Christmas 2016 8-)
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Damson gin

Postby Borneo » 08 Oct 2014 12:53

I like Elderberry wine :| but then I don't really drink do I :roll: . I am practising for January cruise .
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Damson gin

Postby octocruiser » 08 Oct 2014 13:22

Borneo wrote:I like Elderberry wine :| but then I don't really drink do I :roll: . I am practising for January cruise .

Eric used to make fig and banana wine. The riper and browner the fruit the better ! While it was fermenting a layer formed across the top, looked like a doormat. But the finished product was sublime - a bit like a rich sweetish sherry.

He also used to make a delicious elderflower wine. Problem with that was getting the tiny crawly creatures out of the flowers before you started , and it took extra careful straining before bottling. I suppose there are worse ways to die than being drowned in a vat of wine ;)

Another one to rot your guts was my granny's parsnip wine. Many a visitor has gone home skipping after consuming a tad too much of this deceptively innocent tasting beverage.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Damson gin

Postby Barrowboy » 08 Oct 2014 21:57

Potato Gin was always a favourite of mine to make - that was before I gave up the dreaded alcohol some 40 odd years ago....
David
Barrowboy
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
England

Damson gin

Postby Trace » 08 Oct 2014 22:07

my hubby makes sloe gin, he has a batch on the go at the mo, turns it daily.....

there are loads of sloes available down the country lane where we walk our dog.

It's not to my liking, (I am a white wine girl.....) but I did try some last year and it cleared my sinuses... :lol:
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Damson gin

Postby Barry » 09 Oct 2014 07:41

Trace wrote:...... It's not to my liking, (I am a white wine girl.....) but I did try some last year and it cleared my sinuses... :lol:

A nip of damson or sloe gin before bedtime is always on the cards during winter if there's a dose of the sniffles appearing or a throat starting ;)
Barry
Commodore
Commodore

Damson gin

Postby octocruiser » 09 Oct 2014 09:21

My son posted on FB that he had just bottled hs latest fruit vodka. This time it was blackberry vodka. It adds to his collection which includes raspberry and cherry versions. It seems to go in his hip flask when he is riding . I suppose it helps to keep the cold out and lift the pain threshold when he takes a tumble, which has been known to happen. :roll:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Damson gin

Postby Gillzajoker » 11 Oct 2014 14:52

octocruiser wrote:My son posted on FB that he had just bottled hs latest fruit vodka. This time it was blackberry vodka. It adds to his collection which includes raspberry and cherry versions. It seems to go in his hip flask when he is riding . I suppose it helps to keep the cold out and lift the pain threshold when he takes a tumble, which has been known to happen. :roll:

Which came first - the tumble or the vodka, Kath? :lol: We used to make a lot of wine (from Nature's bounty) when we lived in Wales - ast one stage we had over 100 gallons on the go, in various stages of preparation. Whereas other people invited to parties were asked to bring a bottle, we were asked to bring a demijohn! One year OH found a mangelwurzel and decided to try wine from that. It wa absolutely putrid, but we though it may 'improve with age'. Not so. However, many years passed, and not being one to waste anything, when he and a bunch of guys went off the a camping/walking weekend they took it with them. It was imbibed the first evening and not one step was taken thereafter, and if you want to reduce any of those guys to tears, you just have to say the magic words 'mangelwurzel wine' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Re: Damson gin

Postby Camela » 11 Oct 2014 22:54

Sloes on my dog walk are really sparse this year -maybe people are picking earlier, ie before the first frost. I've spotted some that are out of reach so need to take Mr P with me to pick them. I make in October to be ready for Christmas though I have a bottle from last October. I'm amazed that our Barry keeps his Damson gin for 2 years!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Return to Food & Drink