Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Belgrade the revisit -even better the second time!

Belgrade the revisit -even better the second time!

Postby tomvet » 30 May 2018 20:15

Folks right now I am in Belgrade after completing a 3 day course with Serbian colleagues on ............. guess what ??? ................... meat inspection!!!

Someone is going to have a field day!

I jest the course was on the protection of animals at time of kiiing (sorry Dave!)

I am staying in the Astoria hotel and my room is full of portraits of women looking at me and I even have a frescoes celing!!

Not to mention the view!

I was here two years ago and visited the sights of the city centre so on this occasion my Spanish and Italian colleague hired a driver / guide to visit Tito's Mausoleum, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Avala Tower.

Tito's Grave

Mrs Titos Grave

Gift to Tito from JFK

The occasion of QE2's visit in 1972 - QE2 was 46 then, she is 92 now!!!! The Princess Royal was a mere lass!!!

The mausoleum is very unassuming

Then it was off to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

The view of the Avala Tower, our next destiation, from the tomb. Tower was bombed by the US in the Serbian War but was rebuilt soon after the war ended.

I could not get a same day connection back to IReland from Belgrade that left in the Afternoon so my colleagues left at 3pm and I fly tomorrow at 9am to Dublin via Istanbul wth Turkish Airlines. So tonight I went to see Tosca - not the greatest night out but certainly an enjoyable experience.

The National Theatre in Belgrade

It is small with seating of for 300pax. My thord row centre seat cost me €12,50

I still maintain that Belgrade is not a jewel of Europe but it does have a lot to offer the tourist and it is trying hard. It has a great nightlife and excellent bars and restaurants and is incredible value for money. After two visits I am looking forward to my third!!!
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 May 2018 08:24

Fantastic photos, Tom! The tomb of the Unknown Soldier reminded me of a scam perpetrated by some clever (albeit naughty) guy. He collected a small fortune for the widow of the Unknown Soldier! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 31 May 2018 09:34

Very interesting Tom, thank you for sharing your travels and excellent photos with us. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you considered suggesting that future courses and conferences etc. be held on a cruise ship? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 01 Jun 2018 19:52

judgegeoff wrote:Very interesting Tom, thank you for sharing your travels and excellent photos with us. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you considered suggesting that future courses and conferences etc. be held on a cruise ship? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hardly Geoff. While it would probably cost little more to get I and my Italian and Spanish colleagues to a ship. Mobilising the 40+ delagates from the beneficiary country would be a no no - after all they cost little to attend as they are at home.

Having said that the European Veterinary Dental Society held their 2014 conference on a Costa ship complete with wet labs with dog, cat and horse skulls.

I think I would go vegan on that cruise!!! - in case someone confused the freezers.
October 18 - MSC Opera - Marseille - Mahon - Cagliari - Valetta - Messina - Naples - Genoa
December 18 - A-ROSA Aqua - Cologne - Mannheim - Kehl (Strasbourg) - Mainz - Cologne
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 01 Jun 2018 19:55

Gillzajoker wrote:Fantastic photos, Tom! The tomb of the Unknown Soldier reminded me of a scam perpetrated by some clever (albeit naughty) guy. He collected a small fortune for the widow of the Unknown Soldier! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatsmore, if he was a real entrepreneur he could have set up a multinational global business.

Doesnt every country have a TotUS - well Ireland doesnt and am not sure where the UKs is.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby judgegeoff » 01 Jun 2018 21:20

tomvet wrote:
judgegeoff wrote:Very interesting Tom, thank you for sharing your travels and excellent photos with us. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hardly Geoff. While it would probably cost little more to get I and my Italian and Spanish colleagues to a ship. Mobilising the 40+ delagates from the beneficiary country would be a no no - after all they cost little to attend as they are at home.

Having said that the European Veterinary Dental Society held their 2014 conference on a Costa ship complete with wet labs with dog, cat and horse skulls.

I think I would go vegan on that cruise!!! - in case someone confused the freezers
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Geoff

Cruises Booked

"Quantum of the Seas" - China & Japan - Autumn 2018
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Belgrade the revisit -even better the second time!

Postby Camela » 01 Jun 2018 22:13

Tom, good to hear from you. I eat less meat nowadays but want to know my carnivore wants are ethically obtained.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England

Postby Jimmy the One » 03 Jun 2018 08:26

Just caught up on this post Tom stunning pics and like your sense of humour :clap: :thumbup: :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Belgrade the revisit -even better the second time!

Postby Camela » 04 Jun 2018 15:32

Tom, the UK TotUs is in Westminster Abbey
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
England