Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - MEMORIES (No. 2) - "Sapphire Princess" Pacific cruise 2008

MEMORIES (No. 2) - "Sapphire Princess" Pacific cruise 2008

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 Jun 2020 08:46

I recognised so many of those photos, Geoff, having visited the Crater, walked the Lava Tube, visited
Rainbow Falls and the Macadamia Factory, and it was so lovely to see them all again - especially as
they more accurately depict the beauty of everything as opposed to my blurry snaps!

If I may pick you up on a small point? I'm pretty sure that Hilo is just a town and not the name of
the island in question - which is actually called 'Hawaii' but almost always referred to as Big Island.
I'll be happy to be corrected if it is me that's got the wrong end of the stick!

And, YES YES YES - please keep 'em coming - I am thorough enjoying all you offerings and lliving
vicariously through them :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby grannyM » 23 Jun 2020 09:25

judgegeoff wrote:We are coming to the end of this blog, only a few more days to go (viva Las Vegas). I am happy to report on another of our old cruises if members wish me to continue. However, if you have had enough, I will not be at all offended. Please let me know either way.

Many thanks, Geoff

Yes please Geoff :thumbup: :-D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 23 Jun 2020 12:20

Gillzajoker wrote:I recognised so many of those photos, Geoff, having visited the Crater, walked the Lava Tube, visited
Rainbow Falls and the Macadamia Factory, and it was so lovely to see them all again - especially as
they more accurately depict the beauty of everything as opposed to my blurry snaps!

If I may pick you up on a small point? I'm pretty sure that Hilo is just a town and not the name of
the island in question - which is actually called 'Hawaii' but almost always referred to as Big Island.
I'll be happy to be corrected if it is me that's got the wrong end of the stick!

And, YES YES YES - please keep 'em coming - I am thorough enjoying all you offerings and lliving
vicariously through them :D

You are absolutely correct Gill, Hilo is the town, not the island, so apologies, I will amend the post. :oops:
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020 (now virtual)
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: MEMORIES (No. 2) - "Sapphire Princess" Pacific cruise 2008

Postby Camela » 23 Jun 2020 17:01

I've said Carry On Cruising Geoff! If people don't want to read they don't have to click! Anyway, look how many views you've had!!

TO THE GUESTS: Why don't you tell us what your interest in cruising is?
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby judgegeoff » 23 Jun 2020 17:44

Thank you for your kind words. I have actually finished preparing the present blog, just a few more posts to go, so I will start work on another. I need to keep a few days ahead in case I don't feel well or need a break. I am really enjoying it, so it is no hardship - it is not nearly as good as a new cruise, but it is keeping my few grey cells busy and it is reviving some great memories.

Chris and I went into self-isolation at the beginning of March as we were supposed to be flying to South Africa for a 2 week touring holiday with our son Mark and then sailing back to Europe on an MSC cruise ship (Mark would be flying home because of his work). We didn't want to catch a bug that could put that holiday at risk. As Chris is classified as 'extremely vulnerable' by the N.H.S. we have decided that we will stay in self-isolation until we are pretty sure that it is safe or until they have a vaccine, however long that may be. So we won't be cruising for quite some time and so writing these blogs is keeping me busy and out of trouble! I have ordered some electric hair clippers this afternoon, so that I don't look like cousin 'It' from the Addams family.

Cousin 'It'. :lol:
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 23 Jun 2020 21:02

Mr P is waiting for his barber to open - ? 5th July - no hair styling since the week before lock down - not sure it's a good look! Me, I've done home trims which have worked very well as I have a chin length bob and himself has leveled the back. Problem is he wonders why I pay a small fortune to my hair stylist every month!
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby rdw123 » 24 Jun 2020 07:22

Yes please Geoff keep the blogs coming. Enjoying them all. When you have perfected your technique with your hair clippers I will book an appointment. Hope you are enjoying this good weather.
rdw123
Commander
Commander

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Jun 2020 07:51

rdw123 wrote:Yes please Geoff keep the blogs coming. Enjoying them all. When you have perfected your technique with your hair clippers I will book an appointment. Hope you are enjoying this good weather.

Thank you Ruth, much appreciated. I have already started work on the next one. My brain's few memory cells have gone into overload! :lol:
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 24 Jun 2020 08:01

Day 40 – Saturday 10th May 2008 - At sea

This was the first of 4 sea days before we would reach our final destination, Los Angeles.

In one of the Lounges there was a large map of the Pacific Ocean on a display stand. It had been personalised and illustrated by a member of the crew and was to be raffled off at the end of the cruise to help a charity.

The map

A detail of the map – the ship’s officers.

Ship’s details.

Details of our cruise.

We spent the day in the usual sea day activities, there was always something to do on a large ship like this one.

In the evening, after dinner in the main dining room, we went to the ‘Explorer’s Lounge’ to watch a comedy juggler named Randy Cabral.

Entrance to the ‘Explorer’s Lounge’.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 41 – Sunday 11th May 2008 - At sea

Another day at sea. When we woke up this morning we found that our cabin door had been framed with “Happy Anniversary’ balloons. Although it was not actually our 40th wedding anniversary (that would be the 8th June 2008), because we were celebrating a significant anniversary within a month, we had been invited to nominate a day to celebrate it on the ship. This was the day that we had nominated.

Outside our cabin.

In the afternoon Chris went to see a matinee performance by the ‘Westenders’ in the Princess Theatre and said that they were excellent again. One thing we like about cruises is that I am always happy for Chris to go off and do her own thing, as we consider a cruise ship to be an extremely safe environment. I would not feel happy for Chris to go off on her own in some of the places that we have land holidays.

Whilst at dinner in the main dining room, our Head Waiter Gabriel and some of the waiters presented us with a cake and sang ‘Happy Anniversary to you’ to the tune of ‘Happy Birthday to you’ and to the applause of people on the adjacent tables. We also got an Anniversary card signed bt the Captain, Philip Pickford.

After dinner we went to see one of the shows ‘I got Music’ which was excellent.

The ship’s singers and dancers.

After the show, we went for a stroll around the decks and then retired to our cabin for the night.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 42 - Sunday 12th May 2008 - At sea

Another day at sea, with plenty of activities, lectures and films etc. to keep us entertained and amused.

Tonight, at dinner in the main dining room (formal night), it was the traditional ‘Baked Alaska Parade’.

The Baked Alaska Parade.

Our little waiter and his assistant. Little and Large?

Mmmmmm!

After dinner we went to the theatre to see yet another show by the ‘Westenders’ which, as usual, was excellent – certainly one of the best acts we have seen at sea.

After the usual stroll on deck, we retired to our cabin.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 43 – Monday 13th May 2008 - At sea

Our final full day on the ship.

We had experienced a wonderful cruise on a fantastic ship. After leaving Sydney we had sailed 10,933 nautical miles ( 12,581 miles), visited some really lovely and interesting islands and met some very friendly and hospitable people.

We had gone to bed on a Sunday night and had woken up and it was another Sunday morning. We had crossed the equator from south to north and seen an awful lot of water!

Due to bad weather, we had seen the Fiords at their worst, had to cut short our time there and had missed a visit to the town of Dunedin in New Zealand. Fortunately, we were able to revisit the area in 2010 and had excellent weather.

We went to the main dining room for our last dinner and to say farewell to our waiter and assistant waiter. We had been on the ship for 31 nights and they had served us very well – and had not had a single day off during the cruise. The food had been excellent and I believe that we had a different menu every night.

After dinner, we went to the theatre to see a show presented by the crew who had some very talented singers and dancers. Some of the acts were better than the professional acts we had seen during the cruise.

After the show, we completed our packing and left our suitcases outside our cabin door. We would be disembarking in Los Angeles in the morning – but our holiday was not over, we were bound for Las Vegas!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Continued tomorrow …………………...
Geoff

judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 24 Jun 2020 08:20

Again nice pics. bringing back happy memories, Geoff. I love the nice touch Princess with balloons, etc.
Whilst enjoying the Baked Alaska Parade, I was never really keen on the product. I totally agree with
you about a cruise ship being a safe environment - most places I'd be reluctant to go off on my own, but
when I first started cruising I went solo, until I built up a 'bank' of 4 friends with whom I would mix and
match with one of them. And if none was available for a cruise I particularly wanted to do, I'd go on my
own again. I found CruiseCritic Roll Calls to be excellent for making new 'friends' before even going on
board. :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

PreviousNext