Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Museums not for you ?

Museums not for you ?

Museums not for you ?

Postby MikeBR » 25 Nov 2015 09:54

JollyJill wrote:
Borneo wrote:Yep go to museums abroad and at home . Love visiting air museums. Cosford, duxford, to name a few .

Me too Julia. I think I have probably visited most of the museums in London more than once.
I was at the Imperial War Museum recently with my youngest daughter.

When on a cruise some years ago, we visited the wonderful Kelvin Hall museum in Glasgow. I know I posted lots of pics of our visit in 2011 but can't remember where, so here a couple again.

Well the lower picture with all the cars is 'The Riverside Museum' in Glasgow. Mostly dedicated to transport from Prams, carts, cars, trams,trains, fire engines,pedal & motorbikes early Glasgow underground, ships built on the Clyde including a real 'Tall Ship' berthed outside. Entrance is free, suitable for wheelchair & disable visitors, Good reasonably priced restaurant offering 'Glasgow Classic food' and there is also seating area's for those who want to bring and eat their own food. One of my favourite Glasgow museums :P
MikeBR

Re: Museums not for you ?

Postby Meg50 » 25 Nov 2015 09:56

I've included museums in my reviews as relevant - on cruises or days out.

never thought to put them separately.

I too didn't realise this section existed!
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Museums not for you ?

Postby Hannah » 25 Nov 2015 11:48

I to didn't notice the museum link but I know museum's have been noted in reviews on this forum. Always learning.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Museums not for you ?

Postby Skier Pete » 25 Nov 2015 14:59

Borneo wrote:Yep go to museums abroad and at home . Love visiting air museums. Cosford, duxford, to name a few .

I prefer seeing them fly and you'll find some threads by me

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WESTON SUPERMARE AIRSHOW<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RED ARROWS AT WESTON : VIDEO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>OFFICIAL VIDEO OF THE VULCAN AT WESTON<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Threads by others

Wansbroughs Red Arrows at Weston

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RED ARROWS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Museums not for you ?

Postby avidcruiser » 27 Nov 2015 21:00

gatwick wrote:
avidcruiser wrote:
So, which would you advise that we visit, if on a cruise,and which on a land based holiday?

avidcruiser....good question but one I'm not really sure how to answer
Whilst I might make various suggestions on museums to visit...the reality is that there is a huge choice out there
I have found some to be a bit boring but some people would love looking around them
I was impressed when I looked round the Cairo museum but that was a long time ago.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Museums not for you ?

Postby avidcruiser » 27 Nov 2015 21:13

gatwick wrote:
avidcruiser wrote:
So, which would you advise that we visit, if on a cruise,and which on a land based holiday?

avidcruiser....good question but one I'm not really sure how to answer
Whilst I might make various suggestions on museums to visit...the reality is that there is a huge choice out there
I have found some to be a bit boring but some people would love looking around them
I was impressed when I looked round the Cairo museum but that was a long time ago.

Agreed, not every museum attracts us, BUT, I'll agree with you on a visit to the Cairo museum, just not long enough spent there, ON A CRUISE SHIP EXCURSION!!!! and too much time at a paper shop :roll: TG I visited the Tutankahmun (?) exhibition in the British Museum years ago, as a child of course! Now that WAS memorable!
The Imperial War Museum in London was a recent highlight for us, so, now that you know the kinds of museums that take our interest, again, I would love to know which museums do you suggest in the UK, and which on a cruise from just the usual ports of call? Just for our next foray. ;) at home OR abroad?
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Museums not for you ?

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2015 09:30

gatwick wrote:Must say that I'm surprised.....
All your travelling and not one post about a museum visit !

While we don't tend to look for museums to visit while on a cruise, we have been to a few.

Speaking only for myself, the reason I haven't posted anything about these visits is that I rarely take any photos in museums. And I do like to illustrate posts about places.

For example, we visited the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg but I've just checked and I didn't take a single photo inside. The same is true for the time we visited the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. Fantastic - but again, no photos! :(
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Museums not for you ?

Postby JollyJill » 30 Nov 2015 10:40

Dave wrote:

While we don't tend to look for museums to visit while on a cruise, we have been to a few.

Speaking only for myself, the reason I haven't posted anything about these visits is that I rarely take any photos in museums. And I do like to illustrate posts about places.

For example, we visited the Hermitage Museum in St Petersburg but I've just checked and I didn't take a single photo inside. The same is true for the time we visited the Egyptian Museum in Cairo. Fantastic - but again, no photos! :(

I suppose we all have different conceptions on how we view the word 'museum'.

For me, places like the Hermitage are spectacular places that warrant loads of pics. Mine though are included in my review of St Petersburg.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Museums not for you ?

Postby Meg50 » 30 Nov 2015 14:02

JollyJill wrote:
Dave wrote:

For me, places like the Hermitage are spectacular places that warrant loads of pics. Mine though are included in my review of St Petersburg.

or it could be that we get so bound up in the wonder/awe/ etc, that we forget to take pictures
Meg
Meg50
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Museums not for you ?

Postby Dave » 30 Nov 2015 15:16

JollyJill wrote:
Dave wrote:

Perhaps so Jill, but I'm an uncomplicated soul. If the word 'museum' appears in the name then I'll call it a museum. :)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext

Return to Museums