Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - To the Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2

To the Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: To the Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2

Postby Dave » 30 Dec 2019 17:57

Camela wrote:Once a cruiser, always a cruiser. Glad you've succumbed again Dave!! Late checkout is a great option. We did it once on Silversea in Athens. We usually book cruise only and later flights from the arrival port are always cheaper as the cruise lines book out the earlier ones, so staying on board was great. Next cruise we did with them it wasn't available. Maybe it helps that your trip is a complete package, cruise and flights with TUI.

I think this was our 31st cruise (I'm not quite sure whether I should count back-to-back cruises as one cruise or two!) but I don't really think of us as cruisers any more. Basically, we love the Caribbean and can't imagine not having a holiday there to look forward to. We wouldn't want to spend a week in a resort on one island, but a cruise like the next one will give us seven different islands and seven different beaches! So cruising is the best way for us to have a Caribbean holiday. Also, TUI/Marella suits us perfectly because their recently-acquired ships are the right size, their approach is friendly and relaxed, they're very all-inclusive but what isn't included (excursions and wi-fi) are sensibly priced, and having TUI doing both flights and cruise makes for a seamless operation. As well as all that, Explorer 2 is probably our favourite ship, sails from Barbados (no US cruises for us!) and is child-free! :thumbup:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 31 Dec 2019 11:45

I can certainly see the attraction for you there, Dave. Coincidentally, I have done 31 cruises, but
sadly the last one will probably BE my last. :cry:
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 22 Jul 2020 21:01

Even before we'd finished our cruise last Christmas, I posted this...

Dave wrote:We've done it again... :-)

We've just booked a Caribbean cruise for next December. It's on the same ship - Marella Explorer 2 - and the cabin is very close to the one we're in now.

The itinerary looks great: Barbados, Tobago, Grenada, Bequia (the Genadines), Dominica, Guadalupe, St Lucia and back to Barbados. Guadalupe will be new to us and was an important reason for choosing this itinerary.

(Booking on board saved us £150.)

Much as we love doing a Caribbean cruise at Christmas, we can't see us going ahead with this next one. :(

TUI hasn't said anything about this cruise yet and seems to be working on the assumption it will be going ahead. However, it appears likely that even if the cruise does go ahead, there will be restrictions and inconveniences that we're not prepared to take a chance on.

So, unless by some miracle everything goes back to the 'old normal', we'll cut our losses and forego the £500 deposit we've paid rather than spend a further £3500 or so and have a miserable week away.
Dave

Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 22 Jul 2020 21:46

Absolutely Dave, I need to know we'll have at least a similar cruising experience which is why it's a big 'no' from us for booking in the near future despite all the inducements.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 23 Jul 2020 10:25

Sensible decision at this stage! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Jeffo » 27 Jul 2020 12:26

Dave wrote:Even before we'd finished our cruise last Christmas, I posted this...

Dave wrote:We've done it again... :-)

We've just booked a Caribbean cruise for next December. It's on the same ship - Marella Explorer 2 - and the cabin is very close to the one we're in now.

The itinerary looks great: Barbados, Tobago, Grenada, Bequia (the Genadines), Dominica, Guadalupe, St Lucia and back to Barbados. Guadalupe will be new to us and was an important reason for choosing this itinerary.

(Booking on board saved us £150.)

Much as we love doing a Caribbean cruise at Christmas, we can't see us going ahead with this next one. :(

TUI hasn't said anything about this cruise yet and seems to be working on the assumption it will be going ahead. However, it appears likely that even if the cruise does go ahead, there will be restrictions and inconveniences that we're not prepared to take a chance on.

So, unless by some miracle everything goes back to the 'old normal', we'll cut our losses and forego the £500 deposit we've paid rather than spend a further £3500 or so and have a miserable week away.

Sympathise completely with you Dave. We had paid TUI £400 deposit for a holiday in Greece at the end of August. I decided not to go, and if it meant losing my £400, then I would regard it as being £400 to protect my life. The balance was due early June and there was no way I was going to pay that. They rang me early in July, gave me my options, and my refund was in my account two days later. Seems they are working on the following months departures. So,based on this, I'm crossing my fingers for you. :)
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (5), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 28 Jul 2020 08:56

That is excellent news, Jeffo, compared with the horror stories from other companies :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Dave » 27 Sep 2020 15:02

We cancelled our TUI Christmas cruise today. :(

We had no choice but to accept the loss of our £500 deposit because, as of today when the final 'request' for overdue payment was made, the cruise had still not been cancelled.

We had hoped that TUI would cancel the cruise before the final payment was due and return our deposit, but we can't blame them for cutting their losses as best they can.

Oh well, c'est la vie! We're planning on spending our windfall and a new treadmill / inline trainer! ;)
Dave

Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Camela » 30 Sep 2020 14:28

You have been caught between a rock and a hard place. Was there no option to leave the deposit with them for a future cruise? That would seem fair, they keep your money and you have a choice in future.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Oct 2020 09:28

That's a shame, Dave, but understandable. Happy treadmilling! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral