Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Boudicca in the Arctic

Boudicca in the Arctic

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby grannyM » 05 Aug 2015 15:40

hazel20 wrote:As Jill said it was raining hard when we arrived. And as we are leaving it is the same. But from 10am to about 3pm was sunny and blue skies!

We cross the Arctic Circle at about 2pm tomorrow. I'm speaking in the morning on North Cape and Svalbard. May also do a bridge commentary as we cross the Circle!

Having a great time

Be thinking about you all. Hope it's better weather for the crossing. :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby Jimmy the One » 05 Aug 2015 17:59

hazel20 wrote:As Jill said it was raining hard when we arrived. And as we are leaving it is the same. But from 10am to about 3pm was sunny and blue skies!

We cross the Arctic Circle at about 2pm tomorrow. I'm speaking in the morning on North Cape and Svalbard. May also do a bridge commentary as we cross the Circle!

Having a great time

If it's Captain Lars Juel Kjeldsen he will probably circle the island the Arctic circle globe is on so you will cross it three times and then of course you have Trollfjord to look forward to :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby Hannah » 05 Aug 2015 18:01

JollyJill wrote:
Wansbrough wrote:
Hannah wrote:We went down to the Tyne this afternoon to wave goodbye to Bouddica as she set sail about an hour ago. From a wet North East Bon Voyage CM's.

You are getting to be quite a dab hand at this photo posting. :clap: :clap: Nice set of photos of the sail away which I am sure will be appreciated by those on board.

They certainly are. I was on deck in a yellow top in the rain waving furiously at who I thought was Shirley & John. :)

Yes we spotted you on the centre and thought it was you. I was wearing a purple fleece. I hope you have an excellent time.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby JollyJill » 06 Aug 2015 11:34

Jimmy the One wrote:

Having a great time

If it's Captain Lars Juel Kjeldsen he will probably circle the island the Arctic circle globe is on so you will cross it three times and then of course you have Trollfjord to look forward to :D

The Capt. is Sten Ronny Jenson (I think that's his surname). He has a great sense of humour and talks to us all a few times a day.
His opening line always being 'Hello, it's me again'.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby tomvet » 06 Aug 2015 17:21

JollyJill wrote:
Jimmy the One wrote:

Having a great time

The Capt. is Sten Ronny Hanson (I think that's his surname). He has a great sense of humour and talks to us all a few times a day.
His opening line always being 'Hello, it's me again'.

A few times a day! :shock: Let's be conservative and say a few is 3 rather than 5! SO that is 31 'Hello, it is me again!' 81 times on a cruise! Mmmmm! might get away with that on a 7 night cruise but after 27 nights, it could be a little tiresome!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby JollyJill » 07 Aug 2015 08:38

Just arrived in Tromso and will going ashore after an early lunch on a tour and then DIY around the town.

Yesterday was memorable and the sight of my first glacier will remain with me always - a stunnung and emotional sight.

We were lucky that the rain stopped whilst we cruised past the Black Glacier and the temp wasn't bad for this far north. I think it was about 14c.

For reference- the seven sisters I mentioned in England are on the Sussex coast and are white cliffs. I have a picture of them on my wall at home.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby Jimmy the One » 07 Aug 2015 08:43

JollyJill wrote:Just arrived in Tromso and will going ashore after an early lunch on a tour and then DIY around the town.

Yesterday was memorable and the sight of my first glacier will remain with me always - a stunnung and emotional sight.

We were lucky that the rain stopped whilst we cruised past the Black Glacier and the temp wasn't bad for this far north. I think it was about 14c.

For reference- the seven sisters I mentioned in England are on the Sussex coast and are white cliffs. I have a picture of them on my wall at home.

That was just a tiddler Jill wait till you get to Svalbard to see some really big glaciers. :lol:
Sounds like you are having a good time did you go up Trollfjord ?
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby khkate » 07 Aug 2015 09:22

We had a captain on Marco Polo and his greeting was always "Hello, its me again, your captain" - always made us smile. The other thing we liked about Marco Polo was that every time the ship left port (or as we cruised past the Svartisen Glacier) was that the theme tune to 1492 was played over the PA system on the outside decks.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, mainly good weather and calm seas too. At least the hours of daylight up that far north are still fairly lengthy too - just right for sitting on outside decks or balconies sipping the cocktails and admiring the view, including glaciers and icebergs.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Seamouse » 07 Aug 2015 11:02

Enjoyed reading all your updates, so far. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your cruise., and am looking forward to reading all about it, and of course seeing he photos.
Chris
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Boudicca in the Arctic

Postby JollyJill » 08 Aug 2015 08:14

Had a great day in Tromso yesterday. The sun was shining and it was 20c.

We did a 2 hour excursion of the area which included crossing both bridges. We went up to see some amazing views and were treated to reindeer trotting alongside our bus both going and returning to Tromso. We then crossed to the east to see the Arctic church. I paid to go in so that I could get some pics, which will have to wait for the review as the I am loathe to take up wi-fi time doing so now.

After the tour, we walked along to the Polaria museum but to be honest, we were a little disappointed and idn't stop longer than an hour.

Today we are off to the Nordkapp in about an hour on a privately booked tour. Just been on deck and I estimate the temp to be about 14c, which surprised me. Hazel has advised us that it will feel colder at the Cap so we will dress for cold weather.

Are we enjoying this cruise?

OH YES, we certainly are. :D :D

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext