Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dave's Digital Postcards from the Adriatic and Greece on Thomson Celebration

Dave's Digital Postcards from the Adriatic and Greece on Thomson Celebration

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Dave » 04 Aug 2015 10:46

Although we're not arriving in Dubrovnik until Thursday morning I'll get this blog under way now because it's easier to prepare a new topic on my PC than on my phone. As you can see, I've made a simple banner but it was only when I created a map of the itinerary that I realised that only half of the cruise is actually in the Adriatic. I didn't want to redo the banner though so I've added Greece to the topic title instead! :oops:

It might seem odd that we begin and end the two weeks in Dubrovnik and we also have it as a port of call. That's because we're doing two back-to-back cruises - Croatian Classics and Grecian Legends. Since we arrive in Dubrovnik at 9.30am that'll give us two days there to explore which we're really pleased about. :D

Arriving so early for the start of a cruise is great because it feels like we get an extra day compared with arriving in the late afternoon with the safety drill just an hour or so away. The downside though is that we need to be at Gatwick at 4am, so we'll be setting off at around 2.30am tomorrow night! :yawn:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 04 Aug 2015 11:06

Probably our most favourite cruise ever was in the Adriatic so I'll be watching this with great interest.

I'd love to do it again, but unless you can do the flying it makes for a long and expensive cruise from UK.

Hope all goes well. It's great to have time to see Subrovnik at leisure. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Dave's Digital Postcards from the Adriatic and Greece on Thomson Celebration

Postby adogap » 04 Aug 2015 11:17

Looks great Dave. I have never cruised in this region so really looking forward to hearing all about it.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 04 Aug 2015 11:26

I don't think I've looked forward to a cruise as much as this one for a few years. Unlike some of our recent cruises, we chose this one for the itinerary - we've not visited Croatia or Montenegro before, and we'll also visit Slovenia which is a real bonus! We'll also experience sailing into and out of Venice, which I'm told is one of cruising's must-dos. :D

It wasn't just the itinerary that appealed though. We've done three Thomson cruises before and they've all been brilliant. So although we could have done a similar itinerary (for less!) with Cunard, P&O or NCL, we chose Thomson - partly because we like the Thomson experience, and partly because we think the itinerary suits a small ship.

I'm also very keen to find out what one of the new balcony cabins on Celebration is like. Reviews are hard to find and photos even more so, so there'll be an element of having a first for Cruising Mates! ;) We've cruised on Celebration once before and, although we loved the Red Sea Magic cruise, it was just before the Platinum makeover and I was quite scathing about the state of the cabin (a deluxe - in name only!). So it'll be interesting to see the changes.

A couple more things... Although we've done cruises with Fred Olsen with no children on board, this will be our first designated 'adult-only' cruise (it didn't influence our choice, but it's a bonus!). It'll also be our first ocean cruise that's all-inclusive so I'll need to drink a lot more than my usual occasional cocktail! :D

In fact, with excursions already paid for, 'free' drinks, and no gratuities, almost the only thing left to spend money on will be a wi-fi package so I can post from Tapatalk on my phone. 8-)
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 04 Aug 2015 12:11

Looking forward to the regular updates, technology permitting of course. Enjoy your cruise!!!
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 04 Aug 2015 14:43

Have a great time, Dave - and I'm sure the entertainment will be top notch again.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby judgegeoff » 04 Aug 2015 14:46

Have a great cruise Dave and Fred, we look forward to reading all about it. :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dave's Digital Postcards from the Adriatic and Greece on Thomson Celebration

Postby Seamouse » 04 Aug 2015 15:37

Hope you have a great cruise., looking forward to hearing about it, & pictures, of course. We loved Dubrovnik, and wished we'd spent more time in Venice - so much to see there.
Chris
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 04 Aug 2015 16:33

Hope you have a great cruise Dave. You are going to a lovely part of the world. We have been on two cruises around there and enjoyed them very much.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby avidcruiser » 04 Aug 2015 18:12

Superb itinerary.

We spent a few holiday in what was Yugoslavia; Porec, Opatija, and Dubrovnik and we also visited Rovinj.
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Next