Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby JollyJill » 17 Sep 2015 22:53

Anyway... a bit off topic! A debate for another time perhaps (and I suspect I'm somewhat outnumbered here... :oops: :shock: :| )


Even though it is off topic Duncan, having 3 kids aged 40, 38 & 30, I hear what you are saying and agree.

I think the bottom line is that your generation live in a totally different world to the one us 'seniors' were born in to. Tom is somewhere in the middle age wise, so will have a different take on things.

Back to topic..............

I have thoroughly enjoyed following your honeymoon holiday and 'meeting' Alex. I feel that you have given us a pretty good overview of Anthem and personally, I am not sure what you could add,
That said, if you want to do a video review, then I am sure members will be happy to view it. :)
Image

36 cruises on 26 ships.







Image
User avatar
JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
 
Posts: 17494
Joined: 26 Feb 2011 13:26
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby tomvet » 17 Sep 2015 23:14

JollyJill wrote:
Anyway... a bit off topic! A debate for another time perhaps (and I suspect I'm somewhat outnumbered here... :oops: :shock: :| )


Even though it is off topic Duncan, having 3 kids aged 40, 38 & 30, I hear what you are saying and agree.

I think the bottom line is that your generation live in a totally different world to the one us 'seniors' were born in to. Tom is somewhere in the middle age wise, so will have a different take on things.

Back to topic..............

I have thoroughly enjoyed following your honeymoon holiday and 'meeting' Alex. I feel that you have given us a pretty good overview of Anthem and personally, I am not sure what you could add,
That said, if you want to do a video review, then I am sure members will be happy to view it. :)


I am inclined to agree and the review views speak on this also. Reviews that attract the lowest number of views (and I am linking number of views with interest) are those that had an accompanying blog running along side. I think the review adds very little to what has already been said in the blog!

The only negative about a vlog versus a blog is that it is hard to refer back to a particular point / issue at a later date. If you know that it is in a review, you can access the review and scan, speed read it or Ctrl+F it to find the item of interest. With the vlog you are left remembering was the point made on the Vigo video or the Cadiz video and then you have to view it all (well up to the point that the issue is discussed) to literally get to the point! :roll: Another reason for vlogs being ideally no longer than 3 mins!

Another reason that I would never do a vlog as the still of the video as it appears on the webpage often is less than flattering!! :D ;)

Duncan1.jpg


Duncan2.jpg




I think the vlog also does not foster spin off discussions as efficiently as the written text - such as Dave's Deliziosa review and Spas, Jill's QM2 review and dress codes and my Pacifica cruise and charging for water! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: 01 May 2011 13:15
National Flag:
Ireland

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Trace » 18 Sep 2015 19:01

Personally, I have enjoyed watching the vlog as opposed to reading, I would love a final follow up to watch, and I hope you and Alex go ahead and do it for the forum.

It has been really enjoyable to log in each day and catch up on your vlog, thankyou again for taking the time and effort to post it all for us.

Wishing you and Alex a very happy life together x
Tracey :-)
User avatar
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 3956
Joined: 18 Dec 2011 19:48
National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby dst87 » 18 Sep 2015 19:05

tomvet wrote:I am inclined to agree and the review views speak on this also. Reviews that attract the lowest number of views (and I am linking number of views with interest) are those that had an accompanying blog running along side. I think the review adds very little to what has already been said in the blog!

The only negative about a vlog versus a blog is that it is hard to refer back to a particular point / issue at a later date. If you know that it is in a review, you can access the review and scan, speed read it or Ctrl+F it to find the item of interest. With the vlog you are left remembering was the point made on the Vigo video or the Cadiz video and then you have to view it all (well up to the point that the issue is discussed) to literally get to the point! :roll: Another reason for vlogs being ideally no longer than 3 mins!

Another reason that I would never do a vlog as the still of the video as it appears on the webpage often is less than flattering!! :D ;)

Duncan1.jpg


Duncan2.jpg


I think the vlog also does not foster spin off discussions as efficiently as the written text - such as Dave's Deliziosa review and Spas, Jill's QM2 review and dress codes and my Pacifica cruise and charging for water! :D


Haha you're totally right about the YouTube thumbnail... I really should choose a better image to reflect the video. I know you can make the thumbnail any image you want, so maybe I'll do that at some point for fun!

As for the text fostering discussion and being easier to link back to, I agree with that too to some extent. Obviously anyone watching the video can discuss any part of it, but I agree that it's more difficult to refer back to specific points. I did put the written bit in too, but put less effort into it than I would one of my 'normal' blogs.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
User avatar
dst87
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 793
Joined: 04 May 2014 09:44
Location: Falkirk, UK
National Flag:
Scotland

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby dst87 » 18 Sep 2015 19:08

Trace wrote:Personally, I have enjoyed watching the vlog as opposed to reading, I would love a final follow up to watch, and I hope you and Alex go ahead and do it for the forum.

It has been really enjoyable to log in each day and catch up on your vlog, thankyou again for taking the time and effort to post it all for us.

Wishing you and Alex a very happy life together x


I think I'm going to do it, though I can't say when! I've had quite enthusiastic response from a few people about making that video, as well as some follow up questions on CD, so it'll happen - I just don't know when!

A reminder to anyone who does have follow up questions or anything they'd like to see us discuss... let me know and I'll make sure we cover it!

What I will do is put timestamps in the YouTube description with all of the talking points so viewers can skip to the bits they're interested in quite easily, and I'll probably extract key points or an amalgamation of our views into a written review or companion piece much like I did for each daily vlog. We shall see!
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
User avatar
dst87
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 793
Joined: 04 May 2014 09:44
Location: Falkirk, UK
National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby sevenseascoaster » 19 Sep 2015 18:13

Wow what an informative, comprehensive and interesting vlog Duncan and Alex and a belated congratulations to you both on your wedding. Lots of new innovative ideas on the Anthem you've shown, I've not seen so far on any other ship looks a very interesting ship.
Wen

Image

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
User avatar
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 5482
Joined: 18 Apr 2011 22:18
Location: Hampshire
National Flag:
England

Previous

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Digital postcards



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests