Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby JollyJill » 14 Sep 2015 18:01

tomvet wrote:Thanks for the vlog. I enjoyed it. Neither the itinerary nor the ship inspired me.

Well at least you enjoyed the vlog. ;)

Actually, I want to take my girls on Anthem because I think they would love it. :)

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Jimmy the One » 14 Sep 2015 18:05

Thanks for the blog Duncan been a really interesting read and viewing. :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Mungo » 14 Sep 2015 18:16

Counting down the weeks until I try her. :D I almost didn't agree to go with my daughter! :o

However I now realise this is definitely something new and am really looking forward to trying something very, very different! :mrgreen:
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Dave » 15 Sep 2015 08:12

Many thanks for posting your blog on Cruising Mates Duncan. Like everyone else, I really appreciated it and followed it with great interest. :clap:

For anyone who enjoys cruising, learning about a ship they've not experienced personally is informative and educational, and you certainly gave us all a flavour of what a cruise on Anthem of the Seas might be like.

I can't say that much about the ship appeals to me, but that's okay because we all have our own preferences. However, I certainly know much more about Anthem of the Seas than I did before. Thanks again. :thumbup:
Last edited by Dave on 15 Sep 2015 08:37, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Corrected the name of the ship to Anthem from Quantum!
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Jimmy the One » 15 Sep 2015 09:23

Dave wrote:Many thanks for posting your blog on Cruising Mates Duncan. Like everyone else, I really appreciated it and followed it with great interest. :clap:

For anyone who enjoys cruising, learning about a ship they've not experienced personally is informative and educational, and you certainly gave us all a flavour of what a cruise on Anthem of the Seas might be like.

I can't say that much about the ship appeals to me, but that's okay because we all have our own preferences. However, I certainly know much more about Anthem of the Seas than I did before. Thanks again. :thumbup:

I'll second that Dave :mrgreen:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Hannah » 15 Sep 2015 10:18

A thank you for me too Duncan and Alex. I hope you both had a marvellous time and safe onward journey home.
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Gillzajoker » 15 Sep 2015 14:15

And I echo that!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby Trace » 15 Sep 2015 16:43

Same here, it's all made lovely reading/ viewing.

Safe journey home Duncan and Alex :D
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby judgegeoff » 15 Sep 2015 17:16

Many thanks Duncan, it has been an epic blog. :clap: :clap: :clap: We hope that Alex and yourself have a safe and enjoyable journey home. :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Duncan's Honeymoon Blog

Postby dst87 » 17 Sep 2015 15:40

This is the final blog in the season, and to be honest the video isn’t the most exciting! We had a final sea day, another dinner in Silk, and then travelled home the following day!

Our final sea day was mostly spent packing, but we made time for a bit of reading, food, and some shows too! There’s always something going on!

Disembarkation Process
On most ships I’ve sailed on, the documents for disembarkation are issued several days before the end of the cruise. I assume this is to allow them to work out when everyone needs to leave and issue tags accordingly. Because the comprehensive online check-in process for Anthem of the Seas asked this question, there was no disembarkation questionnaire at all towards the end of the cruise, and the first thing we knew about it was when luggage tags appeared on our bed half way through the last day!

As usual, the process was to attach the numbered tags to your luggage and leave them outside your stateroom by 10pm. We decided not to bother with this, and as a result had almost the entire disembarkation window to leave the ship. We found this convenient though I can understand why those with difficulty carrying all of their luggage wouldn’t do this.

Final Day Entertainment
Despite being the last day and being a bit rough at sea, Royal Caribbean kept the action coming with various shows and music happening around the ship for those who wanted it. We chose to see the pop-up pianist in a show in the main theatre.

They actually call him the Stowaway Piano Player and the idea is that he’s secretly entertaining us while evading the ship’s security. By the end of the cruise he’d been caught and was told that he could stay on the ship if he played a proper show for us in the theatre. He came on stage with chains and an orange jumpsuit marked Anthem of the Seas correction facility (or something like that) and then changed into a glitzy outfit soon after starting.

All good fun, and definitely worth watching him on the ship.

In the evening we saw a musician who apparently had some fame a while back when he hit the UK charts. A guy called Berni Flint. He has a Wikipedia page, so he must be at least a little bit famous! He was a fab singer and had an absolute lovely voice, so I’d highly recommend his show, which we saw in Two70º.

Immediately after this was a cover band called The Secret Police. We watched for a little while before deciding they weren’t our cup of tea, then went to bed!

Journey Home
The following morning we left the ship and lugged all of our luggage out to the car. Alex observed that every cruise we’ve had from Southampton (including this one) has started with glorious sunshine and finished with pouring rain! Oh well…

Getting out of Southampton was a little slow because of traffic, but nothing too horrendous. Once on the motorway it was a nice easy drive home with a couple of stops, getting us back in at around 17:30!

Thanks for watching!
I really appreciate the comments and feedback that you’ve all given as I’ve been going along. It’s been wonderful to share our holiday with you and doing the vlog has been so much fun! I hope you’ve all enjoyed it, and I look forward to sharing our next trip with you… whether it’s a video blog or just an old-fashioned written one! (It’ll depend mostly on the internet!)

In the meantime, happy cruising!

Cross-posted from my blog. Original post here.
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext