Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Mungo » 17 Sep 2015 19:51

Oh, love Peggy's Cove! Bought my friend some birthday, Christmas gifts from there as her name's Peggy! :mrgreen:
Aurora and Ventura October 2019
Britannia March 2020
Iona July 2020
Arcadia December 2020
Mungo
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby tobysgranny » 17 Sep 2015 21:36

BRILLIANCE OTS, Saturday 12th September, 2015

Today was the first of four sea days before we reach Halifax. We bumped into our friends at breakfast and joined them in the Solarium for coffee and time to read our books etc. We stayed there until lunch time and had lunch in the Park Cafe. I had one of their delicious roast beef rolls. Talk about melt-in-the-mouth!

After lunch we went up to the Concierge Lounge where it was lovely and quiet. The Solarium had been so noisy. The weather today is not very nice so we have not ventured out on deck. We do have a promenade deck Dave but I've not walked all the way round yet! The sea is a bit choppy today so we are rocking and rolling a bit, but not so bad as it was on the way between The Faroes and Iceland.

There is no choir practice today as the singers are in rehearsals all day for tonight's production show. I don't think we will make it as neither performance fits in with our plans for tonight.

Tonight we have booked 'Chops' and our friends are coming with us.

Once got again we had a wonderful meal. Good food, good wine and good company. Our friend Sharon is vegan and she has a bit of a struggle finding things to eat. Mostly she settles for cheese, salad or a plate of vegetables and sometimes they have a soup she can eat. The other evening they had a cold soup on the menu which we both fancied so we asked if they could heat it in the microwave for us as we didn't want it cold. They actually did this for us although it was just warm by the time it reached us. I think they have us down as being a bit odd!

Sunday, 13th September.

Today is another sea day and it was lovely as we put our clocks back last night and had an extra hour's sleep.

Choir practice again today.

The concierge has just told me there are 200 Diamond+ on the next cruise. We thought there would be a lot less. There are 204 on this cruise. The plus side is that they have opened Chops for breakfast in the mornings which we love. I hope they do the same on the next one.

We spent the next few days as one does during sea days. Reading, relaxing, eating, reading, relaxing ..................

We had our choir performance on Tuesday evening. We Performed three songs . The first one was Doña Nobis Pacem, followed by The Sound of Music and then a very lively one called Happy by Pharrell Williams. We had only rehearsed this for the first time earlier that day and I wish we had done something a bit easier as we had so little time to rehearse. However, the performance in The Centrium seemed to go down well with everyone.

Halifax, Nova Scotia.

We arrived in Halifax and it was beautifully sunny and warm that was very welcome after four wet and miserable sea days. We had prebooked a tour to Peggys Cove which was due to leave at 12.30 pm. We were met at the coach by a kilted guide who thought I was a bit too mad when I asked him if I could sing him 'Donald where's your trousers'.

After a beautiful drive through the Nova Scotia countryside we arrived at Peggys Cove. What a fabulous place. We didn't really have enough time there to explore properly and would have enjoyed a lot longer. We came back to the ship a different way and arrived in the north of Halifax so we enjoyed tour through the city.

Looking forward to returning here on our next cruise.

Last sea day today, Thursday which we have spent in the usual way, but had to go to the theatre this morning to find out what to do about getting our new sea pass etc. we have to be in the Colony Club at 6.45 am tomorrow to go through American Immigration. Apparently there are only 500 non Americans on board. There are 48 people staying on for the back to back.

We managed to walk all the way around the promenade deck today which was the first time since we got on the ship.

Looking forward to another nice meal tonight in the MDR. We have such a laugh in there every night with our favourite waiter. Next cruise we go over to American Menus whatever they may be and they are taking the kettles out of the cabins but we have asked to keep ours.

Will keep you up to date with our next cruise which is very port intensive. We have six ports and only two sea days. Two of the ports are tendered. Looking forward to this cruise very much.

Bye for now

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Re: Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

Postby dst87 » 17 Sep 2015 21:44

Enjoying the blog, keep 'em coming!

The roast beef rolls... are these the Beef on Weck? I loved those on Anthem! One of the nicest things, especially if you get it with extra gravy and some of the horseradish mayonnaise! Absolutely mouth-watering!

Did Sharon accompany you to Chops Grill? I can imagine that would have been somewhat wasted on her if she's vegan!

Happy by Pharrell Williams is amazing - such a happy song and sung by a choir it would sounds fab!

Continue enjoying your holiday, and telling us all about it! Brilliant! :)
Duncan S

Upcoming cruises:
09/16 - MSC Splendida (Northern Europe)

Previous cruises: See my blog!
dst87
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby grannyM » 18 Sep 2015 08:23

Thanks for that update Joan. Hope you enjoy the next part as much. Are your friends also doing the back to back? :)
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Jimmy the One » 18 Sep 2015 13:35

Thanks Joan looking forward to the next chapter :D
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 18 Sep 2015 13:48

Jimmy the One wrote:Thanks Joan looking forward to the next chapter :D

And me! :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby tobysgranny » 18 Sep 2015 18:39

As we are about to embark on our second cruise to New England we will have to decide what to to about wifi. On the previous cruise we bought a package to cover the whole cruise which cost in excess of $200. Quite honestly it was a waste of money as most of the time if we did manage to connect it would take so long to do anything and there were days when we were unable to connect at all. We are now in a Starbucks in The Marriot, Boston enjoying fast, free wifi, courtesy of
Marriot.

We have just done the Skywalk in The Prudential Tower. What an amazing view of Boston.

It took so long to get off the ship this morning then we had to wait in a long line for a taxi, but we have enjoyed ourselves nevertheless. Heading back to the ship now as we have to be back for drill.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 18 Sep 2015 18:57

Many thanks for posting your emails Joan, they have been very enjoyable and informative. :clap: Bon voyage for your next adventure. :wave: :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Trace » 18 Sep 2015 19:11

Just catching up on this Joan. Brilliant, sounds like you are having a fabulous time. Looking forward to your next instalment :)
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

Postby SandraDJ » 19 Sep 2015 16:31

This cruise had a quirky but really interesting itinerary. I booked most of my excursions through the CC thread. I was in a mini-bus tour from Le Havre to Giverny, Rouen and Honfleur. Even though it was a private tour I did feel rushed in Monet's garden, which was somewhere that I had wanted to visit for a while. As Joan said, it was good to see the Waterfest in Weymouth, and it was actually summer that day! I took Tom's advice and visited the museum and went for a ride on the road train in Cobh. I would love to have a return visit. I was on another private minibus tour in the Faroes. Interesting, but I wouldn't be bothered about going back. Iceland was definitely my favourite port of call. I have never seen rainbows as vivid as those we saw - everyone was commenting. The geysers were my favourite part of the trip -the way that the big bubble formed and then spouted. I booked two of the ship's tours in Halifax, which I think was over ambitious. I went on a whale watching trip in the morning and then went to Peggy's Cove in the afternoon, with no time between. The whale watching trip wasn't entirely successful. We saw a couple of spouts from Minke whales, harbour porpoises and the fin of a stonefish. I do wish that I had time to take a wander along the shore.

I enjoyed the entertainment on board, although had seen the production shows when I was on the Baltic itinerary in May. Clo, the Cruise Director, arranged a group Walk A Mile early most mornings and some afternoons. I'm glad that I joined in for a bit of exercise and fresh air, especially as I had a single inside cabin. Something that was new to me was the Colour Away Stress sessions. We had some patterns to colour in, which was a pleasant activity. I didn't realise until later that Joan was also in the choir. I wish that we had more time to practice. The first songs were successful, but Happy seemed a bit weak. We had only practiced it on the day of the performance. I did get to meet Joan for a coffee once, but we seemed to have conflicting schedules.

The one thing that I had problems with was the five time changes that we had. Because of the 25 hour days I kept waking up at stupid o'clock. I am completely wiped out at the moment. I woke up at 4.15am on Friday and flew out of Boston Logan in the evening. Unfortunately I don't manage to sleep on the flight. I hope that I have made some sense in my comments!
Booked cruises:

Ovation of the Seas - Inaugural/Maiden voyage round trip out of Southampton - April 2016
Britannia - Southampton to Bermuda (repo) - October 2016
Norwegian Epic - March 2017
SandraDJ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext