Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Joan's emails from Brilliance of the Seas

Postby tomvet » 19 Sep 2015 17:01

SandraDJ wrote:This cruise had a quirky but really interesting itinerary. I booked most of my excursions through the CC thread. I was in a mini-bus tour from Le Havre to Giverny, Rouen and Honfleur. Even though it was a private tour I did feel rushed in Monet's garden, which was somewhere that I had wanted to visit for a while. As Joan said, it was good to see the Waterfest in Weymouth, and it was actually summer that day! I took Tom's advice and visited the museum and went for a ride on the road train in Cobh. I would love to have a return visit. I was on another private minibus tour in the Faroes. Interesting, but I wouldn't be bothered about going back. Iceland was definitely my favourite port of call. I have never seen rainbows as vivid as those we saw - everyone was commenting. The geysers were my favourite part of the trip -the way that the big bubble formed and then spouted. I booked two of the ship's tours in Halifax, which I think was over ambitious. I went on a whale watching trip in the morning and then went to Peggy's Cove in the afternoon, with no time between. The whale watching trip wasn't entirely successful. We saw a couple of spouts from Minke whales, harbour porpoises and the fin of a stonefish. I do wish that I had time to take a wander along the shore.

I enjoyed the entertainment on board, although had seen the production shows when I was on the Baltic itinerary in May. Clo, the Cruise Director, arranged a group Walk A Mile early most mornings and some afternoons. I'm glad that I joined in for a bit of exercise and fresh air, especially as I had a single inside cabin. Something that was new to me was the Colour Away Stress sessions. We had some patterns to colour in, which was a pleasant activity. I didn't realise until later that Joan was also in the choir. I wish that we had more time to practice. The first songs were successful, but Happy seemed a bit weak. We had only practiced it on the day of the performance. I did get to meet Joan for a coffee once, but we seemed to have conflicting schedules.

The one thing that I had problems with was the five time changes that we had. Because of the 25 hour days I kept waking up at stupid o'clock. I am completely wiped out at the moment. I woke up at 4.15am on Friday and flew out of Boston Logan in the evening. Unfortunately I don't manage to sleep on the flight. I hope that I have made some sense in my comments!

Thanks for this Sandra. Delighted you enjoyed the cruise and that Cobh lived up to expectation - was it the heritage museum you visited?

Something that was new to me was the Colour Away Stress sessions. We had some patterns to colour in, which was a pleasant activity.

I have to agree that the Colour Way sessions do wonders for my stress levels though my experience is that it is someone else has to do the colouring so I get the peace and quiet! :D

On our Alaska cruise we did Back2Back shore trips in all out ports literally getting off one bus and onto another one. Not the best of ideas - one does seem to be rushing all the time!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby SandraDJ » 20 Sep 2015 14:41

It was the Heritage museum. I'm afraid that I didn't pace myself too well this time. Hopefully there will be another opportunity to visit Cobh.

I read a comment about the cruise on FB today; I think the person must have been on another ship. They were making complaints about the poor quality of the food and some of the crew - I had no issues with the food or any of the crew. They were planning on complaining to RCI about the delays on the morning that we disembarked in Boston. I would suggest that was the fault of the US authorities, and not RCI.
Booked cruises:

Ovation of the Seas - Inaugural/Maiden voyage round trip out of Southampton - April 2016
Britannia - Southampton to Bermuda (repo) - October 2016
Norwegian Epic - March 2017
SandraDJ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Sep 2015 21:42

We had a long delay getting off in Boston Sandra but Royal caribbean were not to blame it was American Immigration.
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Sep 2015 21:44

We have thoroughly enjoyed all the food on board and the crew are fabulous! Still good on this cruise too!
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Sep 2015 21:48

We have had three really good port days so far. Portland, Rockland and today Bar Harbour. Weather has been fabulous but not good for the trees turning as it is too hot and we need a frost. Here's hoping we see the foliage next week when we visit The Berkshires..
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tobysgranny » 21 Sep 2015 21:50

Today's lunch. A lobster bake in Bar Harbour

Joan
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby judgegeoff » 22 Sep 2015 06:21

tobysgranny wrote:Image

Today's lunch. A lobster bake in Bar Harbour

Joan

I am very envious Joan, one of my favourite foods. So glad that you and Richard are having such a great time. :D
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sevenseascoaster » 22 Sep 2015 06:24

All sounds lovely Joan and that Lobster, phew :) Shame if you miss the turning of the trees its a sight not to be missed, continue to enjoy :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 22 Sep 2015 07:26

Thanks for the update Joan and the photo of the lobster, which is also one of my favourite foods. :)

I do hope that you see the autumnal colours, albeit that you may be a tad early. I was in that area some years ago in September and the leaves were just beginning to turn. I didn't the trees in their full glory but certainly saw some stunning colours.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby grannyM » 22 Sep 2015 08:22

Good to hear the second part is going as well as the first Joan. Hope you get to see the trees in their autumn colours. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext