Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby Dave » 18 Dec 2015 15:33

As always, I'll start this blog from home because the first post is more easily done on my PC.

Although embarkation isn't until around lunchtime tomorrow, we'll be setting off in about five hours time. The check-in time for our flight from Heathrow is at 5am tomorrow which would have meant getting up at about 2am to be on the safe side. We did something very like that in the summer and we suffered from the lack of sleep on the first day, so we've decided to stay tonight at the Heathrow Airport Hilton. We'll still need to get up at about 4.30am, but it should make for a slightly more relaxing start. I hope! We won't be spending long at the hotel but I'll try to remember to take some photos for a short review. Another bonus is that it's only a few minutes walk to the terminal so we can leave the car at the hotel.

As I've written elsewhere, we didn't actually book this cruise. Costa changed their plans and we were invited to accept the changes, so we're on Diadema instead of Fascinosa and with a different itinerary! Another change was the date - we're going sooner than planned. As I write, Fred is still at work. She'll come home, finish packing, have dinner and then we'll be off. It's all rather rushed... for her!

I've done my bit though. I've charged devices, washed the car (I don't know why I always do that before a cruise!), fed the fish, and put out the clothes I want to take ready for Fred to tell me I don't need to take so much!

This is the itinerary. Some might think it uninspiring (okay, boring), but we'll have three new ports of call: La Spezia, Palma and Marseille, and get to see more of Rome and Barcelona - two places that we've only previously done on ships' tours.

This Christmas cruise was never intended to be about the itinerary though. We've done three Christmas / New Year cruises to hot places in recent years and we've absolutely loved them. For this year though, we thought we'd try something different - a Western Mediterranean cruise. The idea was that Med cruises at Christmas are a lot cheaper than Caribbean cruises, so we could have a much higher grade of cabin for no more than what we've previously paid for Christmas cruises. And in place of tropical beaches, we'd have a very big cabin with all the luxuries that go with it.

Was it a good idea? I think we must have had some doubts because we've already booked a Caribbean cruise for next Christmas! But we shall see if (for us) a ship can really be the destination. Watch this space! :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

Postby tomvet » 18 Dec 2015 17:51

I have to say staying at an airport hotel when you have a flight at silly o'clock makes perfect sense. Recently on our Opera cruise our flight to Bergamo was at 0625 with checkin at 0430. Even though we had to be up at 0330 we managed about 5 hours sleep which does take the edge out of things.

The other problem with flying so early is that the airport is at its busiest.

We used the fast track option at a charge of €5,95 each (twin were free because < 2 years) and while the airport was less busy than anticipated it was worth it especially with the kids in tow!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Hannah » 18 Dec 2015 17:58

I like the Hilton - make sure you sign up for their loyalty points.. Details can be found at reception and online. Hilton HHonors

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Wansbrough » 18 Dec 2015 20:14

It will be very interesting to hear about the Costa Christmas experience and also what you make of it (and of course the ship ;) ) Have a great time. :thumbup: :wave:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 18 Dec 2015 22:33

Here we are at the hotel. Everything has gone very smoothly so far, and the room is very nice. I took these photos with my phone (I'm saving the camera ones for the review!):
Just the one suitcase...
The alarm is set for 4.30am. Time for bed! :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby avidcruiser » 18 Dec 2015 23:18

Have great cruise; I'll be following your posts, avidly!!!
All my posts and photos are COPYRIGHTED!!

"I have a little shadow that goes in and out with me!"
KEEP CALM AND CRUISE ON

avidcruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Wales

Postby tomvet » 18 Dec 2015 23:46

SO the holiday has begun! An extra night into the bargain! An additional pre-cruise hotel to review! :D

Ooooh! The carpets are very ............MSCish!

The atrium looks very Royal Caribbean! :D

Looks like a very nice hotel. Have a great night's sleep and a good flight to Genoa, I assume.
Last edited by tomvet on 19 Dec 2015 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Camela » 19 Dec 2015 00:04

Looks like it's a flight to Roma.
"Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise"
Camela
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 19 Dec 2015 01:02

Camela wrote:Looks like it's a flight to Roma.

They are boarding in Savona so I think its Genoa though it could be Nice and possibly one of the Milan Airports or even Pisa! Shall I take bets?
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Gillzajoker » 19 Dec 2015 16:02

All the best for a wonderful cruise and Christmas!
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Next