Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Dave's Digital Postcards from the Western Med on Costa Diadema

Postby grannyM » 27 Dec 2015 13:59

Wansbrough wrote:
Dave wrote: ..............but we were just happy to have had a great holiday overall.

That is the main thing on the agenda surely? (It certainly is for us!!) So thanks for bringing us along and bringing a little bit of sunshine into our homes over Christmas. :D

It certainly is for us too and this looked like a great 7 day cruise on a good ship with sunshine thrown in - no brainer IMO. :roll:

Thank you Dave for sharing your thoughts, photos and the Christmas day video. I have enjoyed it all. :D
Marie
grannyM
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Wansbrough » 27 Dec 2015 14:39

Wansbrough wrote:That is the main thing on the agenda surely? (It certainly is for us!!) So thanks for bringing us along and bringing a little bit of sunshine into our homes over Christmas. :D

tomvet wrote:
Wansbrough wrote:
tomvet wrote:
Yes it is! I am just referring to things that would make it even better! :D ;)

For who????

For me of course and I think I made that abundantly clear!

I would at least not have to disembark until Dec 27th and preferable the 28th so I would not have to pack on the evening of St Stephen's Day. So ideally for me a 7 day Christmas cruise would embark on the 21st - 23rd and disembark on the 28th - 30th with Christmas Day being a sea day.

What make you think I was referring to you? I was responding to Dave's post. :roll:
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 27 Dec 2015 17:46

Wansbrough wrote:What make you think I was referring to you? I was responding to Dave's post. :roll:

Perhaps then take more care when you quote an individual when submitting your response!
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Wansbrough » 27 Dec 2015 18:14

tomvet wrote:
Wansbrough wrote:
Dave wrote: ..............but we were just happy to have had a great holiday overall.

That is the main thing on the agenda surely? (It certainly is for us!!) So thanks for bringing us along and bringing a little bit of sunshine into our homes over Christmas. :D

So what in the post prior to your response was there anything suggesting you or mention of your name?
You seem to be a bit overly sensitive.......
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 27 Dec 2015 20:34

Wansbrough wrote:
tomvet wrote:
Wansbrough wrote:That is the main thing on the agenda surely? (It certainly is for us!!) So thanks for bringing us along and bringing a little bit of sunshine into our homes over Christmas. :D

So what in the post prior to your response was there anything suggesting you or mention of your name?

'Overly sensitive' - there your words! Not mine! Projecting perhaps! Are you sure it is me and not you? After all twas you that responded 'for who???'.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Wansbrough » 27 Dec 2015 20:45

tomvet wrote:
Wansbrough wrote:
tomvet wrote:

'Overly sensitive' - there your words! Not mine! Projecting perhaps! Are you sure it is me and not you? After all twas you that responded 'for who???'.

Whatever, you are bound to argue the tits off a cow regardless.
Wansbrough
Bar Steward
Bar Steward

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 27 Dec 2015 20:51

Wansbrough wrote:Whatever, you are bound to argue the tits off a cow regardless.

It is a pity that you have reduced this perfect and enjoyable thread to vulgarity. Just for info, they are 'teats'. :D
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Dave » 28 Dec 2015 00:29

Is it safe to come out yet? :? ;)

tomvet wrote:
Dave wrote:We had to leave the cabin by 8am and we did it with a minute to spare. Unlike on some other lines on disembarkation day, we were still able to have breakfast in the cabin. I suppose that's because there isn't actually a disembarkation day on a hop on hop off cruise!

So now we're in a lounge waiting to set off for Genoa airport at 9am.

We never make or abide by the vacating deadline. I always have a word with the steward about it. If s/he has 12 cabins to redo, well he can't do all 12 together, they usually agree and say that they will do up ours last. So we usually leave about an hour later.

Did Costa offer or did you investigate embarking in Barcelona - that would have been less rushed for Fred after breaking up from school and prevented travel so close to Christmas! I would have hated to pack on Christmas Night!

It's lucky for you that there are people like us. I wonder how it would work if everyone always asked the steward(ess) to leave their cabin till last.

Actually, I think I know. Everyone would be asked to vacate their cabins an hour earlier.

I did ask about embarking in alternative ports, but I was told that Savona was the only possibility. I assume that was for one of two reasons: either it was to do with available flights, or because there were only two possible cabins they could offer us and it depended on when they became available.
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tomvet » 28 Dec 2015 00:45

Dave wrote:It's lucky for you that there are people like us. I wonder how it would work if everyone always asked the steward(ess) to leave their cabin till last.

Yes! Fit and able bodied adult couple with only yourselves to look after and with just one suitcase ;) that has already being packed and outside the door since before 2am!

This is often the excuse give by many service providers that if they comply to the request of one, then everyone would be looking for the same favour. The world just does not work like that. People look for 'concessions' if they have genuine reasons for asking. We travel with 3 small kids so naturally our preparations take longer and we ask for more time. Most people are not travelling like so, therefore are not likely to seek a concession (well at least for that reason!).

Similarly when on Serena in Dubai, the cabins were not available until 2100h, we had landed in Dubai at 0600 and because we had kids we asked to have the cabin earlier - we were duly allowed access.

I could go on! Teaspoons not available at lunch time - for your tea you use a lollipop stick and for dessert you use a dessert spoon. One staff member was insistent that I could not have a tea spoon - when I asked her would she kindly suggest how a not yet two year old should eat - she duly supplied a tea spoon! I didn't see any evidence of she being inundated with requests for teaspoons thereafter.

This is why God gave us brains, to use them, to assess the request on its merits, establish if the reasons are genuine or not. We make the request and are granted because are reasons are genuine. When we cruised as a couple we complied with the deadlines.

You Brits have rules - us Irish have guidelines!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by tomvet on 28 Dec 2015 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby tomvet » 28 Dec 2015 00:57

Just on the issue of the suitcase, for future cruises would you now consider taking two cases and dividing your belongings between them so at least you have some clothes and coffee capsules :D to keep you going until the second case arrived. I think most folk pack like that.

You were lucky that you flew Air France and your first port was Marseilles (France's second largest city with many flights between it and CDG). Think of the mess /hassle you would have if your next ports were places with few direct flights e.g. Katakolon, Iraklion etc. :oops: :oops:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

PreviousNext