Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Good morning from Braemar

Good morning from Braemar

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Good morning from Braemar

Postby sevenseascoaster » 31 Mar 2016 20:07

Just caught up with your report from the Braemar Kath, and your lively telling of events, good to have such a good sense of humour :) Your 65th wedding Anniversary, wow, Congratulations, not many people can boast one of those :)
Wen

Tried 19 different Ships and many many cruises, and hopefully more to come!
I haven't been everywhere, but its on my list!
sevenseascoaster
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby octocruiser » 31 Mar 2016 20:34

Jeffo wrote:Kath, hope you and Eric have a pleasant journey home. By the way 8 a.m. disembarkation is normal for Fred. Olsen. Braemar will probably arrive Dover about 5 a.m. Fred. Olsen are always swift with their disembarkation (that's why I've never understood why disembarking from Saga ships has taken all morning when we've been with them).

I must say that my first reaction when I heard that we were to be ready to disembark at 8am was

'Eat your hearts out Saganauts ' ;) ;)

But to be fair, looking at the disembarkation list there will be some pretty large groups all leaving together by the various coach services and lots of people will have their own cars parked a little distance from the terminal doors , leaving a relatively small number of taxis having to be synchronised with their passengers. There is a total of about 45 Saga and Titan cars whereas it runs to hundreds on a Saga ship.

My bigges bugbear for Saga disembarkation is having to give precedence to day visitors arriving for the soft sell. I presume Fred also do these ship visits but I imagine all the disembarking passengers will be away before they start arriving.

We've just come from the final show which was really fun, with a turn by each of the entertainers who have been on for this cruise. Overall, I rate the entertainment as pretty high ! It's not always easy to get a decent view,but tonight we got lucky. We were a bit late because we had gone back to finish our packing after dinner and as we went into the crowded lounge and made our way along the back to the far side four ladies said 'Hang on , dears, we are leaving so you can come and take our table.' Great !

People really are so nice and friendly.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 31 Mar 2016 21:13

I have been reading your posts with interest Kath. It seems that you have a good time on the whole, despite a couple of hiccups.

The final show on Fred cruises are always a compilation of the current cabaret artists, often with a snippet from the show company thrown in for good measure. Sometimes, I think it is better than many of the shows that feature a whole 45 mins of one cabaret act; especially if the entertainer is average.

Thanks for the time and trouble you have taken in sharing your special celebration cruise with us. :)

Safe journey home tomorrow.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby tobysgranny » 01 Apr 2016 00:15

Sorry to hear you have been poorly Kath. You have my sympathies as I went through a very similar thing on QV in November. I eventually missed three ports.

Hope you are feeling much better now and enjoy the rest of your very special cruise.

Joan
Queen Victoria Nov. 2018.
tobysgranny
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby Gillzajoker » 01 Apr 2016 13:58

Enjoy what time you have left, and safe journey home, Kath :D
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Seamouse » 01 Apr 2016 15:32

Enjoyed reading about your exploits on Braemar. I see Dave went to try and take pictures, at Dover, earlier today. Hope you got home safely, and enjoyed your 'Anniversary ' cruise. Congratulations, by the way. We once celebrated an Anniversary on a ship., can't remember which one at the moment. The day before our Anniversary, we came back to our cabin, to be greeted by Happy Birthday Balloons!! When we told them about the error, they disappeared, to be replaced by ' Congratulations' ones the next day. It amused us though!
Chris
Seamouse
Commander
Commander

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 05 Apr 2016 15:49

Finally caught up with all your posts from your cruise Kath - sounds like you enjoyed it all despite a few niggles and the cruise went well too.

Yes, early departure off the ship can be a bonus, but not when they are taking large groups of people off altogether - just like a rugby scrum I should think. However, hopefully, at least with the early disembarkation, you got home at a reasonable hour.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous