Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Good morning from Braemar

Good morning from Braemar

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Re: Good morning from Braemar

Postby hazel20 » 29 Mar 2016 08:23

Sorry you were ill Kath, but I did laugh at the way you told the story!
I think that proves that it wasn't Noro - if you have that, then nothing is funny

Pleased you are calling at Honfleur as I know you wanted to visit there so hopefully this makes it easier for you to see the delightful place.

The info re staying in your cabin if you have a stomach upset is in a letter in your cabin on arrival - the problem is that there is so much other stuff as well, that no-one reads it. Usually the CD or Captain will reiterate this point early on in the cruise, but that is down to the individual, so perhaps not consistently done.

Take care of yourself and enjoy the last few days
http://www.hazeljgriffiths.net

Future Lecture Cruises:
Saga Sapphire - Christmas 2019
2020 - Jan - Saga Sapphire Caribbean
2020 - Black Watch - Four Freds in Funchal
2020 - Saga Sapphire Farewell
2020 - July on Crystal Serenity
2020 - Balmoral - USA in the Fall
hazel20
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
Wales

Postby octocruiser » 29 Mar 2016 18:47

JollyJill wrote:Glad to hear that you are recovering now Kath and that Eric didn't suffer the same problem.

It sounded pretty much the same as happened to Plunky on our recent cruise. The difference being that we had been told numerous times to report any such symptoms by phone and to stay in the cabin, which we did; then again. we were on a Red alert for Norovirus.

We were released after 24 hours as it wasn't Norovirus but just one of those episodes.

Despite that particular nasty time, I hope you had a wonderful time.

The ship does seem to be genuinely clear or NV, there is certainly no alert and apart from the piece of paper I found later which was among a number of other bits and bobs of no real interest I haven't heard any mention. Tnere seems to have been a number of folk disembarked for hospital, including two of the Saga group on board. A number of people seem to have turned a paler shade of green since we got into the Bay, including one of our table companions who is sadly a serial sufferer. She said the early arrival in tne Bay had taken her by surprise and she hadn't taken the meds soon enough.

Actually, my little incident has been tne least of my worries this time but there has been a lot to enjoy .
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Re: Good morning from Braemar

Postby octocruiser » 29 Mar 2016 19:00

hazel20 wrote:Sorry you were ill Kath, but I did laugh at the way you told the story!
I think that proves that it wasn't Noro - if you have that, then nothing is funny

Pleased you are calling at Honfleur as I know you wanted to visit there so hopefully this makes it easier for you to see the delightful place.

The info re staying in your cabin if you have a stomach upset is in a letter in your cabin on arrival - the problem is that there is so much other stuff as well, that no-one reads it. Usually the CD or Captain will reiterate this point early on in the cruise, but that is down to the individual, so perhaps not consistently done.

Take care of yourself and enjoy the last few days

Yes, that is exactly the case. Never mind , I don't seem to have been the cause of a major outbreak :lol:

We did actually get to visit Honfleur in November because we did the walking tour in defiance of the warnings that it would be too strenuous for us.

They seem to have switched the excursions that were to be offered from Rouen to leave from Honfleur instead, which means an early start for most of them. They have also arranged a transfer bus for £20 pp for those who wish to visit Rouen independently . We didn't have anything booked, so hope the weather will brighten so tnat we can revisit Honfleur in sunshine at our own pace.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Trace » 29 Mar 2016 19:25

Sorry you had some time confined to your cabin but oh I did love how you told us, really gave me a chuckle!
Hope you get some better weather too for rest of your cruise xx
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 30 Mar 2016 22:47

Hi Kath

I see from the Port of Dover website that Braemar will arrive there on Friday and I hope to come down in the morning to take some photos from the harbour wall. Do you know approximately when you'll be disembarking?
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jimmy the One » 31 Mar 2016 09:10

Sorry to hear your news Kath think I came across that same nurse I can still see the look on her face when I told her I had liquid morphine with me :lol:
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby octocruiser » 31 Mar 2016 12:15

Dave wrote:Hi Kath

I see from the Port of Dover website that Braemar will arrive there on Friday and I hope to come down in the morning to take some photos from the harbour wall. Do you know approximately when you'll be disembarking?

Hi Dave,

Much to our amazement we have been told to be ready for disembarkation by 8.00am! There are 72 of the Saga group in about 40 cars, plus 8 Titan and numerous people leaving in groups by Eavesway coaches . I'm told it is unusually early even for Fred. I don't suppose you will be around before we leave, although tne ship should be there for some time longer. I am wondering if they have some deep cleaning scheduled although there does not seem to be much evidence of infection.

Plenty of injuries and illnesses - if ship's Chinese Whispers are to be trusted there have been 10 disembarkations for hospitalisation.

Cheers Kath
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Dave » 31 Mar 2016 14:01

octocruiser wrote:
Dave wrote:Hi Kath

Hi Dave,

Much to our amazement we have been told to be ready for disembarkation by 8.00am! There are 72 of the Saga group in about 40 cars, plus 8 Titan and numerous people leaving in groups by Eavesway coaches . I'm told it is unusually early even for Fred. I don't suppose you will be around before we leave, although tne ship should be there for some time longer. I am wondering if they have some deep cleaning scheduled although there does not seem to be much evidence of infection.

Plenty of injuries and illnesses - if ship's Chinese Whispers are to be trusted there have been 10 disembarkations for hospitalisation.

Cheers Kath

Thanks Kath. 8am is a bit too early for me so any photos I take will probably be after you've gone. Please leave Braemar tidy... ;)

I'm really looking forward to your review! :D
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Jeffo » 31 Mar 2016 19:27

Kath, hope you and Eric have a pleasant journey home. By the way 8 a.m. disembarkation is normal for Fred. Olsen. Braemar will probably arrive Dover about 5 a.m. Fred. Olsen are always swift with their disembarkation (that's why I've never understood why disembarking from Saga ships has taken all morning when we've been with them).
Previous Cruises :
Black Watch (4), Braemar (9), Boudicca (1), Balmoral (1), Adonia (1), Saga Sapphire (1) Saga Ruby (1) Astoria (1)
Jeffo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby judgegeoff » 31 Mar 2016 19:37

When we disembarked from Braemar in Dover it was quite early. I remember that we were home opening our mail with a cup of tea at 9:40am - but we are just a 40 minute drive from the port. :)
Geoff

Booked cruise :-
"Marella Dream" - Turkey, Greece and Israel 2019
"MSC Orchestra" - Cape Town to Venice 2020
judgegeoff
Powder Monkey
Powder Monkey

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext