Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Saga Pearl 2 to the Canaries

Saga Pearl 2 to the Canaries

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby adogap » 01 Apr 2016 20:51

Really enjoyed following you on your travels Lelsey. I enjoy the Canary Islands and Madeira, we have been twice and just booked another for next year, it will be our first visit to La Palma, I don't think many ships stop there. Quite like the sound of the tour you did from Lisbon today and will definitely research it before our next visit. Weather does seem to have been a mixed bag and you seem to have had a lot of fun. Safe and pleasant journey home.

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 02 Apr 2016 09:39

I've just fully caught up with your thread , Lesley.

It was nice to hear from you as you went along - the joys of free internet.

I must say you make CI sound much more attractive than we remember it from last time, although you are more mobile than we are. I think the way the ports have grown and spread and become lookalikes for pretty well any urban area was disappointing. But we were comparing with the quaint ambience from many years previously. I suppose we should not deny the residents the advantags of progress just for us to go and admire a time warp from time to time.

If we go again we shall certainly do more excursions and get closer to the real character.

Thanks for reporting your interesting descriptions.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Arizona » 02 Apr 2016 16:51

We visited the Madeira and the Canary Islands for the first time on Saga Pearl 2 last December and were very pleasantly surprised by everything we saw. In Funchal we did the DIY cable car trip to the tropical gardens and then walked back through the street of the painted doors. Everywhere else we did ship's tours, all of which I could recommended. In Santa Cruz, La Palma, we went on a very comfortable 4 wheel drive minibus through forests and across lava fields to the other side of the island, stopping on the return for a fabulous picnic of local produce all ready laid out on tables at a picnic spot. It was great to try the local wine and cheese etc which is something you often miss on cruises. The local bananas were particularly delicious. In Tenerife we took a scenic trip (involving hairpin bends and sheer drops) to the very unspoilt north coast, stopping in a few villages and then for refreshments (more wine!) in the tiny rocky cove of Taganana. All very different from the built up coastal areas we had imagined. We had already seen on this forum that the Cactus Garden and Cesar Manrique house was a great trip in Lanzarote and it was. We finished up in the art gallery in the fort which has a great cafe with huge windows overlooking the cruise ship berths.
We would definitely consider the Canary Islands again, especially if the lesser known islands were included.
By the way, Saga's free internet was great, working well everywhere (including the cabin).
Arizona
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Saga Pearl 2 to the Canaries

Postby Carwalsick » 04 Apr 2016 19:09

Just back from this cruise. As far as I know we didn't bump into Lesley but, who knows. I can't hope to match her account and spend hardly any time on the (free) internet whilst away - too many other things to do. I guess the highlights for us were using the local buses in Fuerteventura and Lanzarote and sharing a taxi with one other passenger to explore El Hierro. Saved a bomb on ships tours. The only one we booked was star watching on La Palma which was cancelled owing to heavy cloud. The Bay crossings were amongst the best we have experienced. I've posted on the Saga thread about the free wine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
November 2019 Spirit of Discovery Spanish Islands of The Atlantic
April 2020 Saga Sapphire Coast to Coast
July 2020 Spirit of Discovery Arctic Expedition
Carwalsick
Captain
Captain

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby khkate » 04 Apr 2016 19:38

Right, finally we are home. Internet connection was a bit dodgy for the last couple of days at sea, hence why no communication. Last two days at sea had relatively calm seas (although some big swells of 2.5-3 metres) and of course that strong wind again. The first day at sea was full of showers but the second day was beautiful sunshine, bu the wind was too strong for most, except the ORCA team.

We played a few games, swam in the indoor pool or just sat and read, sea-watched, etc. We docked back in Southampton at 8am this morning and were off the ship at 9.30am. Pearl is in Southampton overnight tonight, but with no passengers, due to ongoing maintenance. We got home at 12.30pm and then found a whole barrel of trouble. The first was that the land line was dead, so I have had to dig out my dinosaur mobile and recall how to use it- and then book a phone engineer to come out on Wed am. Then we found the car wouldn't start, so a quick call to breakdown (Saga). THe lack of car meant we couldn't pick up our cats, so a phone call to the cattery but they were so helpful and arranged to drop our cats off in the evening free of charge. The car was finally fixed - battery dead as a dodo and wouldn't even hold a trickle charge, so had to get a new one, but at least it means we are now mobile.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise, despite that blessed wind. Of the "new" islands - El Hierro and Fuertenventura - El Hierro was our favourite. We enjoyed seeing the changes made to Pearl after her recent dry dock' more on that another day. But for now, we are both knackered and the world is still rocking a bit, so off to a stable bed and the Land of Nod!
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby bobbyoscar » 04 Apr 2016 20:39

Oh dear, Lesley, what a welcome home!

Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable time but sorry to hear that you've had problems once at home.
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Borneo » 04 Apr 2016 21:22

Oh dear Lesley, that's bad luck! You should feel a bit better after a night in your own bed.
Julia
Borneo
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Gillzajoker » 05 Apr 2016 14:34

Glad problems resolved, Lesley - welcome back.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby khkate » 05 Apr 2016 15:55

Feeling a little more settled now as most problems are solving themselves - apart from our landline - and OH is still out of sorts.

Just uploaded all our photos onto the computer, but as there are 850 photos, it may take a long time to sort out some to post on here. At least the UK weather is good today - warm in the sunshine, so a chance to top up our tans a little more.
CRUISES BOOKED:
Spirit of Discovery - Feb 2020, April 2020, August 2020, Dec 2020
Spirit of Adventure - September 2020
khkate
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Jimmy the One » 05 Apr 2016 18:36

Enjoyed your posts Lesly thanks for taking the time.Sorry to hear of the troubles when you got home :(
Im just a soul whose intentions are good Oh lord please dont let me be misunderstood

Jimmy the One
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext