Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby octocruiser » 29 Apr 2016 11:28

JollyJill wrote:The latest from Tom......

I have had a few texts so will condense them rather than quote.

He & Mrs TV decided against the cruise offer for next Feb because he says they are all cruised out- well Tom is.
He says that what he doesn't like is arriving so early at each port and sailing at lunch time. He says that cruises without the odd sea day should be banned. :lol:

Yesterday in Dubrovnik,the sun did put in an occasional appearance but they were off the ship at 7.30 and were sailing at 12.30.
He said that Costa had the cheek to charge 11€ for the shuttle bus when there was a local bus outside the terminal which cost 1.5€. Needless to say, he took the local option.

Today they had a lovely sail in to Venice. The sun is shining but it is mega crowded, which they expected. On that basis, they took the boat to the outer islands of Murano & Burano.

Tomorrow they disembark in Trieste to get the bus, plane and train home.

Blimey! He must really be all cruised out !! I always got the impression that he begrudged every minute spent at sea. :lol:

It just makes me tired to think of actually being ashore by 7.30 - if that was the only alternative I think I would spend the day in bed :o

The AM half day in port that Costa seem to feature struck us as odd when we were in Valletta on New Year's Eve. We were there for the fireworks and didn't sail until after midnight . A Costa ship was also in, but left soon after noon, despite there being large numbers of children on board who surely would have enjoyed staying in port to see the fireworks.

I think the pressures of his new responsibilities must really be getting to him, poor love, but he has to remember that he is a very prestigious member of the establishment - don't know that will do for his WM reputation :clap: . ;)

Perhaps a nice peaceful staycation to recover might be in order when he gets home.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby JollyJill » 29 Apr 2016 22:10

The latest text......................

Back on board for the last time. Eating in the buffet. Now the dreaded packing. Off at 8.30 tomorow. Train from Trieste to Treviso, plane to Dublin and bus to Limerick. Expect to be home at 11.30pm.
Burano was definitely worth a visit, Murano was nice to see. Experienced the rip off Venice. Food came to 36€ which was acceptably pricey but the 2.50€ pp cover charge plus 12% service charge was unacceptable. The bill suddenly rocketed from 35 to 53€. One lives and learns.

unquote.

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

Postby adogap » 30 Apr 2016 07:09

Thank you for the updates Jill, looking forward to the photos now.
Hope TV family have a safe and uneventful journey back to Limerick

Chris
Baltic Cities, Balmoral, June 2018
adogap
Commodore
Commodore

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 30 Apr 2016 09:36

The Vet family are now off the ship on what apparently is a lovely sunny day.

Their flight isn't until 17.40 but I think they have a 3 hour train ride to Treviso airport.

Tom says that leaving weather aside, it's not been the best cruise ever and it's the first time they have not had a tinge of sadness leaving their cabin for the next occupants. However, he adds that one our of 15 ain't bad.

He puts most of their disappointment down to the poor attitude of the ship's management. :(

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby bobbyoscar » 30 Apr 2016 09:55

I have nothing but admiration for Tom and Mrs Tom for travelling around Europe with three small children; I know how difficult it can be with just one adult to 'look after'.

Tom, perhaps when you have some spare time on your hands, :lol: :lol: :lol: you should think about putting your experiences into print as, I am sure, it would be of benefit to those with other young families that were contemplating similar.

Best wishes to all and safe journey home xx
Cruises booked:
June 2020 Celebrity Silhouette
- Bergen - Geiranger - Flam - Stavanger
Sept 2020 Celebrity Silhouette - Madeira - Tenerife - Las Palmas - Lisbon- Porto- Vigo
bobbyoscar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 30 Apr 2016 10:20

JollyJill wrote:The Vet family are now off the ship on what apparently is a lovely sunny day.

Their flight isn't until 17.40 but I think they have a 3 hour train ride to Treviso airport.

Tom says that leaving weather aside, it's not been the best cruise ever and it's the first time they have not had a tinge of sadness leaving their cabin for the next occupants. However, he adds that one our of 15 ain't bad.

He puts most of their disappointment down to the poor attitude of the ship's management. :(

oh dear who did you fall out with Tom :lol:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

Postby octocruiser » 30 Apr 2016 10:30

JollyJill wrote:The Vet family are now off the ship on what apparently is a lovely sunny day.

I do hope they are able to take some pleasure out of the train ride and that it will at least in parts be scenic. I wish them smooth travel and prompt connections all the way home, with a nice leisurely Sunday to start recovery .

I would think the absence of icecream alone was enough to put them off Costa for life, let alone the management's attitude to it.

But I have no doubt that before long Tom will have had time to recover, put his thinking cap on and be raring to go again .

Nothing like experience to sharpen up the appetite to give it another go armed with lessons learned.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby Gillzajoker » 30 Apr 2016 10:45

Safe journey back, Tom and co.
Gillzajoker
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Spain

Postby Trace » 30 Apr 2016 13:20

bobbyoscar wrote:I have nothing but admiration for Tom and Mrs Tom for travelling around Europe with three small children; I know how difficult it can be with just one adult to 'look after'.

Tom, perhaps when you have some spare time on your hands, :lol: :lol: :lol: you should think about putting your experiences into print as, I am sure, it would be of benefit to those with other young families that were contemplating similar.

Best wishes to all and safe journey home xx

I agree with every word Glynis :) :clap:

Looking forward to hearing all about it, safe journey home to all of the Tomvets xx
Tracey :-)
Trace
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby JollyJill » 30 Apr 2016 14:13

His last text that on the subject of fine dining, they have just eaten in McDonalds prior to getting the train from Treviso to the airport. :lol: :lol:

36 cruises on 26 ships.

JollyJill
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

National Flag:
United Kingdom

PreviousNext