Cruising Mates Forum: Cruise reviews, chat, answers and information. cruisingmates.co.uk • View topic - Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

This area is for 'digital postcards' sent by members while on a cruise. Let your Cruising Mates know what they're missing!

Postby octocruiser » 30 Apr 2016 17:05

JollyJill wrote:His last text that on the subject of fine dining, they have just eaten in McDonalds prior to getting the train from Treviso to the airport. :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the kids loved it - I'm quite partial to the occasional juicy burger myself. :clap:

I also have greatly appreciated the trouble you have taken to pass on Tom's pithy commentary :thumbup:
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 30 Apr 2016 18:54

Thank you all folks for your kind words. I will post a review and photos shortly. We are on the bus from the airport to home now. Get in at 2300. This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative.

As for Sunday rest - we head to Galway at the dawn to my nieces christening. Luckily Monday is a public holiday.
October 19 - A-ROSA Luna - Lyon- Viviers - Arles - Avignon - Vienne - Lyon
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Re: Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

Postby jocap » 30 Apr 2016 20:17

Welcome back, Tom and all four girls! :wave: :clap:
Jo.

19 Cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports
jocap
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Re: Tomvet and family on Costa Mediterranea

Postby Hannah » 30 Apr 2016 20:23

Welcome back hope you all find an alternative way to holiday.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
ImageImage
Hannah
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby Dave » 01 May 2016 10:43

tomvet wrote:Thank you all folks for your kind words. I will post a review and photos shortly. We are on the bus from the airport to home now. Get in at 2300. This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative.

As for Sunday rest - we head to Galway at the dawn to my nieces christening. Luckily Monday is a public holiday.

That's how I felt when I started the topic Carry on Cruising? Or is it time to move on?.

Since I posted my thoughts we did a brilliant Adriatic and Greece cruise on Thomson Celebration which reignited my love of cruising for a while. That was followed by a Christmas cruise on Costa Diadema which, to be honest, was enjoyable but lacking in some respects. And then we did another log house holiday (for a comparable price per night) at Easter which was absolutely fantastic.

We've certainly had cause to rethink our strategy... :think:
Dave

Booked cruise 2019: December - Caribbean on Marella Explorer 2
Remaining land-based holidays 2019: July - Peak District, August - Harris and Highlands, October - Brecon Beacons
Dave
Mutineer
Mutineer

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby octocruiser » 01 May 2016 14:55

tomvet wrote:Thank you all folks for your kind words. I will post a review and photos shortly. We are on the bus from the airport to home now. Get in at 2300. This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative.

Here's a link that might help to kick start your research into that one.

SEE HERE

As far a rethink goes it obviously depends very much on what you want from a holiday, your personal circumstances, mobility, etc. There are fewer options as time goes on.

I personally still think tnat cruising represents the best way for us to take a holiday . I can think of no alternative that suits our needs better and for me it is the most pleasurable.

However, I think our last cruise may literally be our last one as this time after 40 years of loving cruising I was desolate to find that Eric was 'not entirely ' enjoying it .
Those were his own words and possibly carry a wealth of meaning - he just refuses to be drawn on what the problem was. I really don't think it was anything specific to the particular cruise. I think his attitude to the whole concept of cruising has changed a d I have cancelled the one we had booked for 2017.

Given our circumstances our options are very limited but I am not prepared to just stay at home forever. I have booked a short break in June at a Warner's Leisure hotel to give that a try. I have chosen the one that is nearest to home so if a family member is not available for transport it won't cost an arm and a leg to have a private car transfer.

It does seem a poor substitute for cruising, especially as it costs relatively more. We shall see. I shall go with an open mind and do my best to enjoy it for what it is, not what I want it to be.
octocruiser
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 01 May 2016 19:37

octocruiser wrote:

Here's a link that might help to kick start your research into that one.

SEE HERE

As far a rethink goes it obviously depends very much on what you want from a holiday, your personal circumstances, mobility, etc. There are fewer options as time goes on.

I personally still think tnat cruising represents the best way for us to take a holiday . I can think of no alternative that suits our needs better and for me it is the most pleasurable.

However, I think our last cruise may literally be our last one as this time after 40 years of loving cruising I was desolate to find that Eric was 'not entirely ' enjoying it .
Those were his own words and possibly carry a wealth of meaning - he just refuses to be drawn on what the problem was. I really don't think it was anything specific to the particular cruise. I think his attitude to the whole concept of cruising has changed a d I have cancelled the one we had booked for 2017.

Given our circumstances our options are very limited but I am not prepared to just stay at home forever. I have booked a short break in June at a Warner's Leisure hotel to give that a try. I have chosen the one that is nearest to home so if a family member is not available for transport it won't cost an arm and a leg to have a private car transfer.

It does seem a poor substitute for cruising, especially as it costs relatively more. We shall see. I shall go with an open mind and do my best to enjoy it for what it is, not what I want it to be.

Thanks for the link Kath.

I am sorry to hear that your cruising plans are taking a setback - I hope it will be just that and temporary as I know you enjoy them immensely.

I hope you enjoy your staycation!
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby Skier Pete » 01 May 2016 23:11

tomvet wrote: This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative.

Or go MSC Yacht Club. put the kids in Kid' s Club and let the butlers do everything and you and the Mrs TV sit back and relax.

Welcome back. sorry to hear about your rain
looking forward to your review
Skiing comes 1st; Cruising a close 2nd

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
Skier Pete
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

National Flag:
England

Postby tomvet » 02 May 2016 08:54

Skier Pete wrote:
tomvet wrote: This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative.

Or go MSC Yacht Club. put the kids in Kid' s Club and let the butlers do everything and you and the Mrs TV sit back and relax.

As it is a family holiday, we wouldn't put them in the kids club for any great length of time - no more than 2 hours in any day.
As for the Butler -what would we do with him?
MSC Club? Do you have an interest free loan? :shock: :shock: :shock:
tomvet
Admiral
Admiral

National Flag:
Ireland

Postby sparkiethecruiser » 02 May 2016 10:15

tomvet wrote:
Skier Pete wrote:

As it is a family holiday, we wouldn't put them in the kids club for any great length of time - no more than 2 hours in any day.
As for the Butler -what would we do with him?
MSC Club? Do you have an interest free loan? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I remember few years ago taking niece on P&O cruise she wanted to eat at kids tea as there was something on in the kids club they she simply had to do that evening. But she made me promise I'd come and get her so she could go watch the show. So drops her off at the kids club goes and gets dinner at about 8pm I went to pick her up. She was most put out that I had come to collect her so early I said its 8pm thought you wanted to see the show. :roll:
sparkiethecruiser
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext